2015.5 Volvo xc60 85k miles burning oil. Any remedies?

I have fallen for the Volvo and BITOG 10k oci myth of the early 2010's where everyone recommended 10+ oci etc. Well now the car eats about a qt every 1k miles. I know that it's ty Volvo piston issue but the dealer is not willing to fix it under the special extended warranty because not every oil change was done at Volvo.

So what could I d

If I'm not mistaken that engine might have a flame trap pcv which i can cause consumption issues more so than a regular pcv valve. Perhaps look into that, though I'd wait for the much more knowledgeable Volvo guys on here answer.

And I've been doing 10k oci's with my 336k gas truck and my consumption is no where near that. I only add once every 5k but it's a really old worn engine. 85k miles when using a euro 40 every 10k shouldn't cause that.

I have fallen for the Volvo and BITOG 10k oci myth of the early 2010's where everyone recommended 10+ oci etc. Well now the car eats about a qt every 1k miles. I know that it's ty Volvo piston issue but the dealer is not willing to fix it under the special extended warranty because not every oil change was done at Volvo.

So what could I d
What oil were you using?
Are you using a different Oil now?

Last edited:
Is it stated in your extended warranty documents that the oil changes must be done at Volvo? otherwise they may have no ground to stand on if you can prove you changed your oil on time with the correct oil, not sure what Volvo recommends for their intervals.

Please do not listen to people when they say go 10k+ especially on these newer engines.

Which engine?

Further, what’s the recommended oil specification?

For a five cylinder, yes, look at the flame trap.

For your Volvo, it may be rings, and this thread may be helpful. It describes how the dealer will determine consumption and some of the common problems with your model year.

Is it stated in your extended warranty documents that the oil changes must be done at Volvo? otherwise they may have no ground to stand on if you can prove you changed your oil on time with the correct oil, not sure what Volvo recommends for their intervals.

Please do not listen to people when they say go 10k+ especially on these newer engines.

Accepting DIY service records has always been iffy in situations like these. If the oil changes were not performed at a shop, there is no way to prove that the work was actually done - even if you provide receipts of the materials being purchased.

Not much can be done. If you boroscope the cylinder walls and they look good, you can try a piston soak?

What oil were you using?
Are you using a different Oil now?
I constantly used Castrol Edge. I have switched to high mileage when it hit 60k. When I used private shops I brought my own oil and Volvo filter and asked them to use my oil and filter. I watched them do it.

Yeah when it was on extended I didn't care and they didn't. So they did regular work and warranty work without questions. But now it's outside the warranty and currently on the Volvo special extended warranty due to the known piston issue. The extended warranty is at the grace of the shop doing the work. If it either be all covered or half covered or none at all. Half covered is still $4k in addition to $400 for oil consumption test and $1000 for pcv replacement.

Which engine?

Further, what’s the recommended oil specification?

For a five cylinder, yes, look at the flame trap.

For your Volvo, it may be rings, and this thread may be helpful. It describes how the dealer will determine consumption and some of the common problems with your model year.

4 cylinder T5 drive-e fwd

4 cylinder T5 drive-e fwd
I don’t have any personal familiarity with that engine, but my understanding is that they are very prone to excess oil consumption.

The dealer will have to validate it, using the method in the link I posted, and they may not consider it to be excessive. One liter/1,000 miles seems to be acceptable to many manufacturers even if it seems excessive to us.

Back