2014 Yaris OCI Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to start doing the maintenance for an elderly family member with a 2014 Toyota Yaris with the 1.5 I4. 4500 miles. I'll be starting to drive it as a commuter vehicle somewhat regularly, and it seems the last change was done at dealer about 2 or 3k. Due for a change at 8,XXX mi or 3/10/17. This oil is presumably it 2nd oil change ever and 2 - 3 years old. Vehicle mainly sat often in the last several years, with once a month short trip (15 mins round trip) drives likely not exceeding 30mph. (I feel bad WOTing it on the highway with the old oil hahaha!)

I plan on making the oil maintenance plan cost effective, thinking of using SuperTech (WPP) 5w-30 dino or perhaps some O'Rielly Auto Parts Full Synthetic 5W-30 with a Fram XG/ACDelco filter for the Toyota specified 5k OCI. My only questions would be if it's better to use a syn in this VVTI motor, most of the oil filters available at WM are very small capacity filters. Perhaps better to do an extended OCI with syn? If so - what filter/oil?

Last edited:
No, use a high mileage synblend like valvoline maxlife or qshm. Use the Fram TG and drive it once a week or more at highway speeds. Get toptier fuel and add a PEA based fuel additive every oci.

Even with abnormally low mileage as well as no evidence of leaking seals? Highway speeds are no problem for my typical commuting path.

Last edited:
That hm oil will gently clean,protect, and prevent. You can use hm oil without harm especially pennzoil/quaker or valvoline. I think a 5w30 would be fine in this climate also. Check your air filter and maybe clean/spray out throttle body couldn't hurt. Change oil at 3k,if chunks or grit come out keep oci short.

Not sure I see any benefit to synthetic oil for your use pattern

I run about 12K in my Yaris with long life syn oil; not interested in rolling under the car in February

Only a BITOG'r would like to make a 2 to 3 year OCI 'more cost effective'..... j/k

Last edited:
I have 2014 Corolla and the Toyota recommends a 0-20 full synthetic . I go by the manufacture recommendation. I would think maybe the Yaris would use the same oil maybe.

I would stick with the 5W30-even though Toyota back-specced the 20 weight, my 1.5 xB sheared it, and even sheared 0W30 AFE into a 20 weight. Apparently the timing chains and phaser are tough on oil. If you ran a cheap (after rebate) synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum or similar, you could run 7500 mile OCIs regardless of how long it took to do it, as long as you get it hot occasionally.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
I have 2014 Corolla and the Toyota recommends a 0-20 full synthetic . I go by the manufacture recommendation. I would think maybe the Yaris would use the same oil maybe.

I have the same engine as the '14 Yaris in my '05 Echo (1NZ-FE). This engine first appeared in North America in 2000 and only had minor modifications since. The recommended oil is 5w30. I use M1 HM 5w30.

Watch the oil level, some of those Toyota 1.5's burn a lot of oil. They run fine forever, they just use a lot of oil.

Originally Posted by Broo
. . .
I have the same engine as the '14 Yaris in my '05 Echo (1NZ-FE). This engine first appeared in North America in 2000 and only had minor modifications since. The recommended oil is 5w30. I use M1 HM 5w30.

It's also the engine, in slightly modified form, that they used in the Gen-1 Prius, Gen-2 Prius and recently cancelled little Prius-c (as the 1NZ-FXE). Careful monitoring of oil level on ALL engines is just good common sense. If nothing else, nobody can be sure if or when their engine will decide to start consuming. FWIW, the example in my 04 Prius consumed no oil, except for the one time I tried M1 AFE 0w-30, about a half quart over the year I used the stuff. On M1 EP 5w-30, no consumption observed.

The Yaris engine never need oil thicker than 30 weight, if you live in cold country you may survive with thick 20 weight. However, this engine run hot, so synthetic is recommended, and you can go 7500 miles OCI safely. This engine once burns oil means overhaul must be done, because most of the time the valve seal broken, and no oil thickener will help.

my ex hertz yaris is a sw snowbird's car. garaged several months on a battery tender then gets driven 1-2 months for minimum 20-30 minute suburban trips, with 1-2 hr highway trips, every few days, then sits again. oci is 18 months, 3-4k miles, done at superior tire franchise, $20 for 5w-30 kendall semisynthetic. i commuted by yaris taxi in indonesia daily for almost 3 years, that experience resolutely proved to me that the yaris is a sherman tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back