2014 Ram 1500 3.0l VM Diesel UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attachment is for my 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel with 9594 miles. I performed a drain and fill at 730 miles. I used the factory Pennzoil EuroL 5w-30 for the fill and did not add any oil for the entire interval. On this past Sunday, I performed an oil change with filter and filled with the Kendall Euro 5W-30 oil which meets the Chrysler/VM specifications. The oil filter did have some super tiny particles of aluminum visible to the naked eye. I did not see anything out of the ordinary other than it was the blackest oil I have ever seen.

Report is a PDF in the 1500 Ram Diesel Forums

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1...sis-report.html

Welcome to the site. The report looks fine. Having to go through two links is annoying, so here you go:

5NFtxZv.jpg

Thank you Bandito440 for posting and the welcome. Been here for a few years but have only been reading and learning. I tried to do it as an attachment here but did not see a way of uploading the file.

In my limited experience of looking at UOA I was not concerned about anything.

I hope that iron number comes down after a few oil changes. I think you were smart to drain and fill the oil early on. 10k mile oil change intervals I don't like, even though the manual says it correct. The oil has the consistency of asphalt after 10k miles. I'm going with 4-5k drain/fill intervals, change the filter every 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
I hope that iron number comes down after a few oil changes. I think you were smart to drain and fill the oil early on. 10k mile oil change intervals I don't like, even though the manual says it correct. The oil has the consistency of asphalt after 10k miles. I'm going with 4-5k drain/fill intervals, change the filter every 10k miles.

I dumped my FF at 7,500....after I saw a few reports like this. But the asphalt comment is way off base. I watched the tech pull the plug and jerk out of the way as it spewed out like water. I ran 10 k intervals with my 3.0 turbo diesel Touareg....and the oil never showed thickening....and very similar engine. I don't think 10k OCI's are a bit of a concern with this engine.

By the way, no one pointed out the TBN retention. 8,800 miles and still in the mid-3's. That is amazing! A true testament to the quality of this oil where the original TBN level has been questioned for years. The Mobil 1 low SAPS TBN starts at 5.3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I dumped my FF at 7,500....after I saw a few reports like this. But the asphalt comment is way off base. I watched the tech pull the plug and jerk out of the way as it spewed out like water. I ran 10 k intervals with my 3.0 turbo diesel Touareg....and the oil never showed thickening....and very similar engine. I don't think 10k OCI's are a bit of a concern with this engine.

By the way, no one pointed out the TBN retention. 8,800 miles and still in the mid-3's. That is amazing! A true testament to the quality of this oil where the original TBN level has been questioned for years. The Mobil 1 low SAPS TBN starts at 5.3.

I have learned since joining this site that starting tbn has no relevance to tbn retention and many oils that start off low maintain tbn for quite a while.
I've also discovered that the oem's oci is pretty accurate when using an approved lubricant.
Changing serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil makes absolutely no sense.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Nice!! Really glad to see these diesels making into the 1500's. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

I dumped at 7,500....then again at 16,000....,

Just turned 22k, and will change at 25k.....and then every 10k.

You don't "like" long intervals even though they are proven.

Hillarious.

Hello!

Forgive me if I am saying a big nonsense, but what is the logic behind changing oil without changing the filter?

The filter is (for me, at least) much cheaper than the oil (roughly 1/5 of the oil price), so I can´t see what are the advantages of doing it (besides the obvious), but I admit that I am quite ignorant regarding this subject. Can anyone please explain me the facts behind it? TIA.

Regards.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I have learned since joining this site that starting tbn has no relevance to tbn retention and many oils that start off low maintain tbn for quite a while.
I've also discovered that the oem's oci is pretty accurate when using an approved lubricant.
Changing serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil makes absolutely no sense.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I couldn't agree more. There is no real evidence anywhere that changing the FF early in any way benefits the engine as far as life/durability/service. It's strictly a feel good mod.

But it sounds so cool...

Hillarious.

Clevy, why do you always have to come across as a jerk? You do it consistently. This comment adds nothing to a good discussion.

Hillarious.

Talking smack on a post from 6 months ago, awesome, and lots of value, bonus points.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blasar
Hello!

Forgive me if I am saying a big nonsense, but what is the logic behind changing oil without changing the filter?

The filter is (for me, at least) much cheaper than the oil (roughly 1/5 of the oil price), so I can´t see what are the advantages of doing it (besides the obvious), but I admit that I am quite ignorant regarding this subject. Can anyone please explain me the facts behind it? TIA.

Regards.

Dump any contamination, ie fuel dilution and iron. Replenish additives. Keep in mind, these engines use post injection fuel dosing for DPF regen. Meaning, on the exhaust stroke the injectors pulse to add fuel into the exhaust stream to burn in regeneration. Fuel dilution is a real issue.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/articles/2290/understanding-the-post-injection-problem/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back