2014 Mustang GT oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Mustang gt, it is a track package spec car and I have always ran the recommended fill of 5w-50. Mainly curious about what weight I should go with now as I've changed the setup on the car to a twin turbo setup. The turbos are ball beating and have an oil restrictor sized at .035". Was wondering if I should change viscosity to aid in flow to the turbos. Was thinking of dialing it back to a 5w-20 or possible even 10w30 oil in a more race oriented blend. I have looked over oil spec for a lot of European cars with overhead cam engines and turbo and they run a large variance in weight so I'm really not sure. Was planning to just go with the 10w-30 unless I have a good reason not to. I live in south Alabama/north florida and we have very few days of the year near or below freezing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by JStrawder
I have a 2014 Mustang gt, it is a track package spec car and I have always ran the recommended fill of 5w-50. Mainly curious about what weight I should go with now as I've changed the setup on the car to a twin turbo setup. The turbos are ball beating and have an oil restrictor sized at .035". Was wondering if I should change viscosity to aid in flow to the turbos. Was thinking of dialing it back to a 5w-20 or possible even 10w30 oil in a more race oriented blend. I have looked over oil spec for a lot of European cars with overhead cam engines and turbo and they run a large variance in weight so I'm really not sure. Was planning to just go with the 10w-30 unless I have a good reason not to. I live in south Alabama/north florida and we have very few days of the year near or below freezing.

Thanks

What reason again are you thinking of deviating from the recommended oil grade? I'm not clear on that part.

I have a 2014 Mustang gt, it is a track package spec car and I have always ran the recommended fill of 5w-50. Mainly curious about what weight I should go with now as I've changed the setup on the car to a twin turbo setup. The turbos are ball beating and have an oil restrictor sized at .035". Was wondering if I should change viscosity to aid in flow to the turbos. Was thinking of dialing it back to a 5w-20 or possible even 10w30 oil in a more race oriented blend. I have looked over oil spec for a lot of European cars with overhead cam engines and turbo and they run a large variance in weight so I'm really not sure. Was planning to just go with the 10w-30 unless I have a good reason not to. I live in south Alabama/north florida and we have very few days of the year near or below freezing.Thanks

I'd stick with the factory recommendation or would not go below 5W40 at most.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I would stick with the 50wt if that is what the original engine was designed for and certainly won't hurt turbos.
The thicker weight will work well in this high performance application with excessive heat.

I would use M1 5w50 for off the shelf oil
or Amsoil SS 5w50 or Redline 5w50 if you aren't concerned about warranty any longer. They do really well with extreme heat.

I thought the GT had the 5.0 and not the 5.8 and called for 20wt oil. Could be wrong though. Certainly don't want to use a 20wt if you are going to be beating on dual Turbo's. JMO

Last edited:
Have you considered the 5W part of the 5W-50 recommended by Ford? Was the engine rebuilt or the Turbo bolt on? Seems powerful. At the drags the 5W-50 Mustangs are sub 12 second cars.

So the factory specs 5W50 for this car/engine because its a high performance, high revving, decently high hp/L and you add twin turbos and I'm sure a host of other bolt-ons that have close to doubled the power and decide its a good idea to go thinner on oil viscosity???

SMH.... please start reading a LOT about oil and research viscosity and hydrodynamic boundary lubrication all you can. This is not the time to go thinner! Turbos and revs heat up and abuse oil very quickly. You will want to stay with that 50WT recommendation most definitely due to the area/climate you live in.

I'd go with a more robust xW-50, as others have noted, like M1 15w-50 for OTS or something from AMSOIL or Redline if you are fine with boutique.

Yes mine specs 5w-50 because of the version it is but nothing is internally different than the non track pack cars that spec 5w-20. I understand oil viscosity works. It's just sort of an odd situation. But thanks a lot for your sarcastic tone.

Last edited:
I have been running amsoil ss 5w-50 since the car has been out of warranty and ran their factory full til that point just in case I had any issues. I have no concerns with running the 50wt with my engine was mainly just wondering about tolerances inside the turbo and that possibly having an issue with flow or anything else.

I appreciate those of you that have relied sincerely.

Haven't open tracked the car, yet. During hard driving etc on the highway, the times I have looked it has been in the 180's with the amsoil in the car. Car did come equipped with an oil cooler setup and extra capacity from factory as well though.

Car ran low 11's at the track when it was still n/a, just changing it up. Motor is still factory for now. I bought another engine block to build off of while this one is in the car.

Just the track pack versions are factory fill with 5w-50 and the gt500's. My car is just a lowly 5.0 though, should've bought the Shelby but 🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

Just the track pack versions are factory fill with 5w-50 and the gt500's. My car is just a lowly 5.0 though, should've bought the Shelby but 🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

That engine is still nothing to sneeze at.
grin2.gif
Happy Racing!

Thank you. I don't know everything and it's always good to have cementing info. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, wasn't trying to waste anyone's time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back