2014 Mercedes-Benz OM651 // 15,000 mi update // Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30

The increased iron would concern me as it increased at a higher rate than the miles.
Miles went up 50% while iron almost 100% increase ppm.
Even though base is at 3.5, I would be shortening the OCI to max 8,000 miles, if it was my car.

In comprarison with other oil analysis on this engine I believe that wear metals are excellent for 15k miles
For reference

Usually xw-40 oils give better wear results in uoa in the OM651.. but you can't compare because of different use conditions, avg speed, fuel...etc. I have the same engine and I am using Mobil1 ESP 5w30 (Mobil super 3000xe once) for now and sometimes MB original 229.51(Petronas). Also tried Eneos Premium hyper 5w30 but I experienced loud lifter noise on morning start ups.

Appreciate your commitment to used oil analysis and trust in oil. I am not mechanical but like engines with dipstick where you can drain oil using a pump especially when have high quality oil filter. With such a nice car and engine-would definitely side on being more conservative with oil changes especially in the context of all the emission restrictions on diesel vehicles, which can stress the engine oil longevity.

Did the onboard OLM tell you to change at that interval?

The 10k sample was extracted through the dipstick while the 15k sample was taken as the oil was draining from the sump. I attribute the inconsistencies in the results to the difference in sampling methods.

Awesome results, in my opinion.
If use and driving conditions remain the same, are you planning on staying at 15k with this oil or try something else and or lower OCI?

Seems to be a great result for a budget oil. I have the same engine in my GLK and I might just go back to PP Euro L, for both my diesels, and just shorten the OCI to around 8K.

It's a great oil that gives great results, it's cheap and easily found on the shelf.

Awesome results, in my opinion.
If use and driving conditions remain the same, are you planning on staying at 15k with this oil or try something else and or lower OCI?
Agreed! My takeaways from two 15k OCIs is that the filter's o-rings start becoming brittle after ~15k. Personally I'd be comfortable changing the oil every 20k mi but changing the filter every 10k (factory interval).

That said, I think I'll go back to changing the oil and filter every 10k since it's a quick, easy, and cheap job. The results of this experiment showed me that the recommended 10k OCI is in no way pushing the limits. This gives me the peace of mind to exceed the recommended OCI in the event that life gets busy and I'm unable to do the change exactly at the 10k mark.

I'll stick with this oil since it's $21.97 for 5 qts at Wal-Mart. Once the Canadian border reopens I'll be tempted to stock up on the 5 qt jugs of Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 sold there for the same price or less. I like that the 0W-30 also carries additional MB/VW approvals (229.52 and 504/507, respectively).

Very good to read this one, as I have the ML250 BlueTec. Best auto I have ever owned and will be very, very disappointed if it doesn't give me at least 300k miles. And for the life of the 2.1L 4-smoker.... it has had P Euro-L, but I keep the OCI's to 10k, because the wife drives it like a race car.

Back