2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L 128k / Mazda 0w-20 6.8k

Mazda skyactiv 2.5's with bad head gaskets and/or cracked heads is not unheard of. Its not super widespread and certainly not an everyday common occurrence, but if you hang out on Mazda forums at all (I have three Mazda's) you will see it from time to time. Seems to affect the Mexico built engines more than the Japanese built.
There were also issues with the 19-21's turbo's too.

Mazda designed a great motor but left a FATAL flaw with no temp gauge in the cluster.

As a car guy, it’s your responsibility to modify the car to fit your needs. As you can clearly see, manufacturers are completely incompetent in designing a car with simple sensors and warning lights that could have prevented a total loss of an engine over something as simple as coolant temps.

** Engine Cooling Fan goes out, engine starts overheating… no warning lights come on to inform the driver.

** Engine coolant thermostat gets stuck closed, engine starts to overheat… no warning to the driver UNTIL ITS WAY, WAY TOO LATE. 🤦🏻‍♂️ nobody is watching the tachometer for a tiny Red Light. They will only notice when steam is pouring out of the hood.

** Engine oil level goes Dangerously Low… no warning to the driver to ADD ENGINE OIL. 🤦🏻‍♂️

When I first bought my 2014 Mazda 3, one of the first mods was to install this Scan Gauge into the OBD port so I can monitor engine temp, among other things. 👍🏼

629D8316-B8CA-42CF-BE80-E5CFA32D6C08.png

As a car guy, it’s your responsibility to modify the car to fit your needs. As you can clearly see, manufacturers are completely incompetent in designing a car with simple sensors and warning lights that could have prevented a total loss of an engine over something as simple as coolant temps.

** Engine Cooling Fan goes out, engine starts overheating… no warning lights come on to inform the driver.

** Engine coolant thermostat gets stuck closed, engine starts to overheat… no warning to the driver UNTIL ITS WAY, WAY TOO LATE. 🤦🏻‍♂️ nobody is watching the tachometer for a tiny Red Light. They will only notice when steam is pouring out of the hood.

** Engine oil level goes Dangerously Low… no warning to the driver to ADD ENGINE OIL. 🤦🏻‍♂️

When I first bought my 2014 Mazda 3, one of the first mods was to install this Scan Gauge into the OBD port so I can monitor engine temp, among other things. 👍🏼

View attachment 125725
Artem: Do you have a link or any info on where I could buy that Scan Gauge? I'm interested in putting one in my daughter's CX-30 after reading this thread. Thanks.

Hey all, my wife and I have owned a 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L Touring FWD (Skyactiv non-turbo) since Summer 2016, from 54K miles up to the current 132K-ish miles. I've used OEM Mazda Moly 0w-20 oil and OEM Mazda filters, changed every 6K to 8K miles or so. Since 2019 I've also had Blackstone UOA's performed after every oil change. The reports have always come back looking good, except this last one where they say there may be coolant in the oil.

I have done all maintenance on this car since we bought it, and have not seen any oil or coolant leaking anywhere underneath. The oil itself on the dipstick looks fine, and what drained out last time looked fine. I haven't seen any loss of coolant from the reservoir tank. The car itself seems to drive just fine. Still gets 30+ MPG on highway trips, including our last trip to the Smoky Mountains in July, just after the last oil change.

BS suggests checking back in 4K miles. I'm wondering if I should get another lab to take a look at a sample. I just can't believe this car would be having head gasket issues already. The car has been nearly flawless for the 6+ years we've owned it, and we don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, if at all possible. What say ye?

Note that the oil it shows I added between drains on the report is mostly from either a top-end oil leak I had awhile back (VC gasket and oil control valve) and also the tendency for the factory oil fill spec to read low on the dipstick.
Get it looked at ASAP!!!! I just replaced my motor last week in a 2014 Mazda6 GT for a blown head gasket. I maintained that thing meticulously. I didn't get a temp warning or anything. Just blew the head gasket. Engine was over-heating and didn't even tell me. There is a flaw here of some sort. I had no warning from UOA either. Just blew. Even the dealer I talked to was baffled but it looks like it's a thing and they aren't aware of it.

View attachment 125725
You mind sharing that link for that guage?

Artem: Do you have a link or any info on where I could buy that Scan Gauge? I'm interested in putting one in my daughter's CX-30 after reading this thread. Thanks.

I just posted a link above.

Reactions: pbm
I saw this same story before on one of the forums. I have a 2018 Mazda 3 and I hate that there's no temp gauge. What the heck?

Maybe some years and models are different but my CX5 has a temperature gauge in the INFO screen. You have to cycle thru that screens options to see it. The INFO screen is the right hand cluster in the instrument panel.

Maybe some years and models are different but my CX5 has a temperature gauge in the INFO screen. You have to cycle thru that screens options to see it. The INFO screen is the right hand cluster in the instrument panel.
not to bump an old thread but my 2023 that I just purchased also has the digital water gauge, thankfully.

So how did the story end? I sold my Infiniti Q50 that are known for having porous blocks and honestly what I read in this thread is something new.

Back