2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well, I figure I might as well write up a review on my grandfather's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that he bought in January, as this platform is still being produced. He doesn't drive anymore so we all chauffeur him around in it, and take him on trips out to his mining properties in the desert in Western Arizona.

This Jeep really is the only vehicle that would work for him that fits the needs of "newer, real 4x4 capabilities, and easy for him to get in and out of". Overall we're extremely happy with it, it's comfortable, has plenty of power, and is as 4x4 capable as we need it to be. We just got back this weekend from a week long 3,000 mile road trip to Texas, Oklahoma, and Southern Colorado.

Pros:
-Power, it has very smooth and plentiful powerful power delivery from the Pentastar 3.6L. It is no race car, but the power and it perfect for this vehicle.
-4x4 capability. The Quadratrac-II system really puts the traction down, even with the bald highway tires that were on it when we bought it. Just give it more gas and it applies braking to other wheels and the power moves to the tires with more traction wonderfully. However, it does scrape a bit on the underside, but I've looked underneath and no damage.
-Comfort. Overall it's pretty comfortable, the leather seats are great and with 2 people in the car there's plenty of room. I'll also add some to this in the Cons section.
-Technology. It's got a bit of tech in it being a Limited model. I really like the functionality of Uconnect, more of that in the Cons section though. The Automatic High Beams work great too, as well as the projector low beams. Those blew my mind, I didn't know headlights could get that good! Ventilated seats are awesome as well.
-Handling. This thing handles amazingly, high speed curvy mountain driving is effortless. I felt very confident in the twists. It does not drive like an SUV. And this is with Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires!
-Stereo. It has like 10 speakers including a sub in the trunk, but I don't think it's the top of the line stereo. Either way, it sounds incredible.

Cons:
-Comfort. While this car is still very comfortable, if you're a tall family, there's some things to consider. On our road trip my aunt and I took my grandfather. We traded off driving so we had to have the driver's seat scooted up, this was ok for the most part as we used cruise control almost exclusively. The back seat also had some room but it's a little awkward for trying to get comfortable. I'm 6'2" and if I sit up straight my head is in the roof, but I slouch a lot so it was good enough. This Jeep also has a panoramic sunroof, which I hate sunroofs. They cut down on headroom and it's also a heat entry point.
-I can't get the Uconnect software to update, I've tried multiple flash drives and formatted them with multiple computers and loaded it up, as well as calling Uconnect support. The CarFax shows the radio was replaced when it was nearly new, maybe that has some thing to do with it? Some issues we have is sometimes on Bluetooth music it skips around like a skipped CD. Navigation is probably also out of date and while it always got us where we needed to go, it was annoying. It would start recalculating randomly and wanted us to get off the freeway sometimes for no reason. It also picks up traffic jams which works great, but sometimes it reminds you every mile or so for 50 miles.... I couldn't figure out how to turn that off.
-Cruise Control. For the most part it worked great, I'd say at least 95% of our trip had the cruise control on. The issue is when pulling up a hill at say 70 mph, the car sometimes waits until 65 mph to kick down some gears and get you back up to speed. Even in sport mode.
-Fuel Economy. This was a little bit disappointing, as it only got 20.6 mpg average for our trip. We never drove above the speed limit and accelerating wasn't all that harsh. I guess it could be worse, being a 4x4 SUV. I'll put the Fuelly link below for fuel economy. I didn't get the last tank when we got into town recorded.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/grand_cherokee/2014/nickfancher1/801515

23ksx6p.jpg

u6jgk.jpg

Enjoyed the review, I had a 2015 Overland for a little shy of 3 years. After 70k miles, I have to say it was a really comfortable cruiser. Mine was a 3.6 2wd and averaged 23 MPG. Plenty of power for everyday driving, but I wouldn't challenge other drivers to a race.

I think the Uconnect is the best in the business, and my 2015 updated over the air as I drove. I did all the maintenance with M1 that was on sale at Costco with 9k OCIs as the OLM requested. It went back to the dealer once for a leaky LF strut and at that time they took care of a recall to put the transmission in park automagically if you tried to leave the vehicle without it in park.

The ventilated seats and 19 speaker Harmon/Kardon system were so good I made sure the car that replaced it had the same.

My ownership experience was positive, it served me well and held it's value well. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Enjoyed the review, I had a 2015 Overland for a little shy of 3 years. After 70k miles, I have to say it was a really comfortable cruiser. Mine was a 3.6 2wd and averaged 23 MPG. Plenty of power for everyday driving, but I wouldn't challenge other drivers to a race.

I think the Uconnect is the best in the business, and my 2015 updated over the air as I drove. I did all the maintenance with M1 that was on sale at Costco with 9k OCIs as the OLM requested. It went back to the dealer once for a leaky LF strut and at that time they took care of a recall to put the transmission in park automagically if you tried to leave the vehicle without it in park.

The ventilated seats and 19 speaker Harmon/Kardon system were so good I made sure the car that replaced it had the same.

My ownership experience was positive, it served me well and held it's value well. No complaints.

Speaking of the shifter recall, I should have added that to the Cons list. I HATE the shifter in this thing. Thanks to that recall software though, it saved me once. I once thought I put it in park but it was in reverse and I got out while it was running, luckily it shifted itself into park. It's so awkward, you have to aggressively pull it back for a Drive, I often only hit Neutral and have to screw around with it to get it in Drive while people wait in the parking lot for me.

I'll give you a hand with the uConnect update if you'd like. It's not picky on flash sticks, send me a PM.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Speaking of the shifter recall, I should have added that to the Cons list. I HATE the shifter in this thing. Thanks to that recall software though, it saved me once. I once thought I put it in park but it was in reverse and I got out while it was running, luckily it shifted itself into park. It's so awkward, you have to aggressively pull it back for a Drive, I often only hit Neutral and have to screw around with it to get it in Drive while people wait in the parking lot for me.

I actually liked the shifter and found it enjoyable to use once I got used to it, but that is probably something that should be natural to a driver and not require a learning curve. I had a rental 200 a couple years ago and had to make a quick 3 point turn. I was fine, but found the knob a little awkward to use while making the maneuver and could see someone less automotively inclined to be challenged in that situation.

My Challenger has the next generation shifter in the evolution, it looks like the Jeep but still full electronic and locks in each P-R-N-D position. It doesn't take a lot of space and moves smoothly through each position.

Good review. I have to say in the few that I have driven I like it a lot. The shifter was fine imo and I hope they don't drop it for the knob they use it the Ram. That would be a major disappointment for me!

This is my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee I purchased new back in April of 2015. It's been an excellent vehicle. We got the 5.7 HEMI V-8 instead of the V-6. It has a lot more guts. I went with 2-WD because the vehicle is never going to see rain, snow, or dirt. So there really was no need for it. Besides you actually get greater towing capacity with the 2-WD over the 4. And we might purchase a boat or RV at some later date. This vehicle will give me all the towing capacity I'll ever require.

As far as the U-Connect updates, just take it to the dealer. They've got all the latest updates on flash drives. They'll do it while you wait. It only takes 10 minutes or so. We got the excellent Chrysler Max Care unlimited time / mileage lifetime warranty. No other manufacturer offers it. (The lifetime is not available with the diesel models). But it is with the HEMI V-8 and Penstar V-6 engines. We intend to keep ours for a long time, so it was well worth the slight added cost. Overall we couldn't be happier with it. It drives and handles beautifully.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Fuel Economy. This was a little bit disappointing, as it only got 20.6 mpg average for our trip. We never drove above the speed limit and accelerating wasn't all that harsh. I guess it could be worse, being a 4x4 SUV.

The V-6 Grand Cherokee's aren't noted for good fuel economy. They have to work too hard. Most are getting in the range you have described. I was surprised to be averaging 21+ MPG with less than 3,000 miles on the clock. I've never rezeroed it since we bought it. It will occasionally drop into the 19+ range if we keep it in the city over a period of a tank full or so. But overall for a 5.7 V-8 in a heavy, full size SUV, I sure can't complain. The 8-Speed automatic really helps. It turns almost nothing on the highway in 8th gear.

At 3 years old it's got 2814 miles on it or the photo was from 3 years ago? I've never seen a meaningful change in gas mileage as new vehicles break in. Many parts of the country don't believe you can get 2wd Jeeps, they never heard of such a thing back in NW Pa.

My personal con: there are many plastic interior bits that vibrate and rattle in mine. It drives me nuts. I was tracking them down for a while, but gave up.

EcoDiesel fuel economy over 50k miles:
Average: 25.5
Highway road trips: 27.5

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
At 3 years old it's got 2814 miles on it or the photo was from 3 years ago? I've never seen a meaningful change in gas mileage as new vehicles break in. Many parts of the country don't believe you can get 2wd Jeeps, they never heard of such a thing back in NW Pa.

The photo was taken a little less than a year after we bought it. It's got around 8,000 on it now. The 2-WD Grand Cherokee's are hard to come by. And they are / were only available in the Limited. The Summit and Overland Models are all 4-WD. We Internet shopped literally every Chrysler Jeep dealer in the Phoenix Metro Area before we found this one. And they had just gotten it in 3 days before we bought it. If I hadn't found it, we would have had to order one.

Wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well, but the Overland model with the air suspension and upgraded 4x4. Love it and its been problem free at 88k miles as if today.

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L. Has about 115k hard miles on it without a hiccup. Headroom was also a complaint. When he bought it, he had to find one with the V8 and no sunroof, because with the sunroof models his head would touch the ceiling.

I can't see why someone would choose the V6 over the Hemi. The real world mpg with the V6 is not so substantial that it is worth it in my opinion, and having the Hemi makes a huge difference in power. Then again, I haven't driven the 3.6 with the 8 speed, only the 3.6 with the older auto trans.

I should also say, I found the original window sticker online, was $47k new. He paid $18,200.

I got a 15 Limited V6 that delivers around 23 mpg as a yearly average in the Northeast climate. The 8 speed is incredible and really helps the mileage.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
I got a 15 Limited V6 that delivers around 23 mpg as a yearly average in the Northeast climate. The 8 speed is incredible and really helps the mileage.

Oh man, I miss those days! I now average 15 on premium!
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back