2014 Honda CRV gas cap/emissions light

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother had a light for her gas cap go off . She said she tightened it then her emissions light on the dash has lit up .
I am not familiar with the vehicle but is there any connection between these two lights ?
The mileage on it is 16k .

Honda recommends three clicks when you tighten the gas cap. I have three and they're all pretty sensitive if they're not tight enough. The light will go out on it's own when you tighten after about 150 miles.

They are part of the same system. There used to be only one light, but since leaving the gas cap loose was a major reason for the light to come on, and there was no easy way to know that, the "check gas cap" light was added.

It may still be under warranty. The warranty on emissions systems is different from the rest of the car.

Thanks for the info .
Turns out it is a 2012, she just returned from the Honda dealer and a woman who spoke with her told her to drive it for a while and bring it back in if it stays on .

It may take her a while to rack up any significant miles !

A loose or defective cap will register as an EVAP leak with light. Once tightened it will go out on its own when the system runs an EVAP test unless the cap is hosed, keeping the fuel level between 1/4 and 3/4 is important until the light goes off as this is one of the parameters for the EVAP test to run.

She is always topping off the gas tank . I advised her to keep the levels in the parameters you mentioned .
I would imagine she has overfilled it a bit due to her paying cash and trying to get the amount she paid into the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back