2014 Honda CR-V tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they over heated the clutch already on the CRV? I'm sure it wasn't too happy after the demonstration for the video. Both my parents 99 and 06 CRV's would light up the rears on packed snow without a problem for big 4 wheel drifts, or going up hills. Neither ever got stuck too, so I suspect unless you drive often on rollers, you won't have an issue getting around on public roads doing soccer mom duty...
If you are going to off road a lot, I wouldn't get a Honda or a Subaru even if it works well on rollers...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Put all four tires on rollers, and the car won't travel forward at all...doesn't matter how the system splits torque.

Very true, but go back and watch the video again, there were only front rollers. I have exactly the same issue when I pull my boat up a grade in my grassy backyard. If I start pulling using 4WD RAV4 without center lock pressed, the front tires spin and dug in the wet grass before the computer decides to send the power to rear. But when I start with center diff locked, the rear wheels push the car and it goes without any wheel spin.

Before RAV4 I had AT Subaru and it worked exactly the same. The only difference was there was no lock button and you had to start in 1st gear to avoid spinning front tires.

Now, CRV has no way to lock the center diff and apparently the diff is very light duty to do anything.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Very true, but go back and watch the video again, there were only front rollers...

I understand what you're saying. Rollers under the front tires necessarily means that 100% of the motive force has to come from the rears. And my humble opinion is this just doesn't represent real world conditions. My experience mirrors that of IndyIan's above: it has no trouble lighting up the rear tires and engaging them on snow and ice that we get. And in North Carolina, we tend to get more ice than we do snow.

Maybe the 2015's electronically-controlled system is that much worse than in earlier years. I doubt it, but maybe. I'm sure we'll hear of any significant issues this winter, as the 2015s begin going through winter conditions.

Edit: watching the video again, actually, I see that the rear wheels appear to have never even attempted to make the car move. And the driver got on the gas pretty good and spun the front tires wildly. It could be that they too quickly overcame the threshold for intervention (talking about a difference in speed here) and then once beyond that, the system won't even try to intervene (to protect itself). I also question if the system was somehow disabled...not as a conspiracy theorist, but I think that they had to at least have had the traction control disabled to prevent brake intervention. I wonder if something else was turned off as well. Being that the current CR-V's AWD system is somewhat electronically-controlled, there could have been an electronic anomaly involved.

Here's a video that includes the previous generation CR-V:

You can see that not only does the car surge forward as the rear provides force (unlike in the video with the 2015 model), but one of the rear tires on this CR-V is actually spinning...demonstrating that it's providing force. Now granted, it may be an open differential and not limited slip, but the system is still providing force to the rear.

None of that was happening in the other CR-V video. Is the new system that much less effective than the older system? Maybe. Again, I doubt it, but maybe it really is.

None of that was happening in the other CR-V video. Is the new system that much less effective than the older system? Maybe. Again, I doubt it, but maybe it really is.

Quote:
Fourth generation (2011–present)

The CR-V Concept debuted at the Orange County International Auto Show in September,[21] the production 2012 CR-V debuted at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show.[22] The CR-V went on sale in the U.S. on December 15, 2011.[23]
It is powered with a 2.4-liter i-VTEC inline-four engine that puts out 185 hp and 163 pound-feet (220Nm ) of torque at 4,400 rpm along with an all-new Real-Time all-wheel-drive (AWD) with intelligent control system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-V

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The CRV was failing this test 10 years ago. Have they ever been able to pass it?

I don't think anything without the ability to lock the drivetrain will pass it.

I see that the rear wheels appear to have never even attempted to make the car move. And the driver got on the gas pretty good and spun the front tires wildly. It could be that they too quickly overcame the threshold for intervention (talking about a difference in speed here) and then once beyond that, the system won't even try to intervene (to protect itself). I also question if the system was somehow disabled...not as a conspiracy theorist, but I think that they had to at least have had the traction control disabled to prevent brake intervention. I wonder if something else was turned off as well. Being that the current CR-V's AWD system is somewhat electronically-controlled, there could have been an electronic anomaly involved.

Doesn't seem to be that much of an anomaly. When we were considering the CR-V, I watched a comparison review of the CR-V vs Forester on Youtube, and, while they were generally saying good things about the CR-V, when they tried driving both cars up a sandy hill, the Forester got quite a way before it became stuck with all four wheels spinning, whereas the CR-V didn't even try to use the rear wheels... as soon as the fronts began to spin, the AWD overheat light came on and disabled the AWD.

However, there are plenty of CR-V videos on Youtube showing it using the rear wheels in icy and snowy conditions, so clearly it does seem to work in typical urban driving. Treating it as an off-road car would probably be a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back