2014 Ford Focus Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Got this car with 11000 miles on it. Drove it for three days around Philly.

I did not like this car, the only rental that I felt was worse was the 2014 Elantra I had.

The automatic transmission sucked, now this could be due to programming and the many different drivers a rental has, but worst shifting auto I have driven in awhile.

Wish I had looked at it closer to see what engine it had. It was buzzy and when I hit the go pedal it got louder but not faster.

The steering was numb to me, maybe not to others, but I did not like the overall handle characteristics.

Had good visibility, good brakes the interior was nice ( I think it was leather as it was a very well optioned car), at highway speed it was pretty quiet.
Pretty roomy for its size, the hatch had decent room.

In this segment I think it is a good looking car.

It is just not my thing.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Wish I had looked at it closer to see what engine it had. It was buzzy and when I hit the go pedal it got louder but not faster.

Probably the 2-liter 160 hp one.

I hear they're pretty decent with a manual trans.

I agree. I test drove one with an auto and could not understand why it gets such good reviews.

I rented the same car (hatchback) in Dallas a few months ago. Decent car but not too crazy about the dash styling, way too many buttons, seats were comfortable on 400 mile road trip.

Nice driving car at 90 MPH on the highway, windy conditions cause noise from side mirrors.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Its not an automatic trans, its a dual clutch manual that shifts itself

Well whatever it is, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Either let me shift it or give it a normal automatic.

I drove a 14 Focus rental and felt the same way. If you were super easy on the gas from start up or floored it, it wasn't bad, but accelerate like an average person and its kind of herky jerky. As far as rental cars go, we rented a 2014 Outback with a CVT on a Colorado ski trip last year, and I was rather impressed by it. Way better than the Focus.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Its not an automatic trans, its a dual clutch manual that shifts itself

Well whatever it is, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Either let me shift it or give it a normal automatic.

The dual clutch auto ruins the entire car imo. The manual is much much better!!!

I am never impressed with smaller cars. For slightly more money even basic the midsize family vehicle are just in another realm. I regret buying my Civic instead of Accord for example. A Corolla feels so tinny compared to Camry etc.

Rentals especially I prefer the midsizes as their is really not much penalty on fuel etc.

The DCTs are buggy and awkward acting ... that's for sure. Surprised they haven't stuck a traditional automatic in them yet.

It's a good suspension setup from the factory (if you want performance). The EPS kind of kills feedback - but that's the way of EPS.

Can you manually select gears in the Focus DCT? I recall reading the first ones didn't allow for this? That would drive me bonkers, an awkward shifting automated manual that you can't tell to hold the gear you want...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Can you manually select gears in the Focus DCT? I recall reading the first ones didn't allow for this? That would drive me bonkers, an awkward shifting automated manual that you can't tell to hold the gear you want...

Yes - the first few years (and maybe even the low end models still) don't have it. However, it's fairly easy to add from what I have seen on the Focus site.

I had a DCT-equipped Focus as a rental last year. It wasn't as bad as all of you are making it out to be. Great highway manners, and okay around town. The first few pulls away from a stoplight were weird, getting used to the "slipping clutch" feeling from it. After that it faded into the background.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Dual Clutch takes some getting used to.
+1. I just got a new '14 SE. It is kind of odd at first but after you realize it is a Manual Trans with an electronic clutch (of sorts) it drives pretty sweetly.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I can't stand those dumb DCT's... If I owned that car, manual trans for sure.

Of course Ford had some serious issues with the DCT leaking oil onto the clutch packs which makes the thing shudder and slip. But they have finally
redesigned the faulty parts and the trans should be decent now. The real question is long term
durability of this unit, that is anyones guess.

I still agree though, Ford makes a very good manual transmission for the Focus and if I had a choice I'd take that manual unit every time.
It's nicer to drive, cheaper to maintain, and saves you money on the new car purchase to boot!

I can assure you all working at the Ford dealer we see quite a few of those focus automatics come through with issues. It's a steaming pile imo.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I can't stand those dumb DCT's... If I owned that car, manual trans for sure.

Of course Ford had some serious issues with the DCT leaking oil onto the clutch packs which makes the thing shudder and slip. But they have finally
redesigned the faulty parts and the trans should be decent now. The real question is long term
durability of this unit, that is anyones guess.

I still agree though, Ford makes a very good manual transmission for the Focus and if I had a choice I'd take that manual unit every time.
It's nicer to drive, cheaper to maintain, and saves you money on the new car purchase to boot!

One one of the Fiesta sites there is a guy that has 500000 miles on a fiesta. Seems the clutches wear out at 250K. First transmission made it to 250 before the clutches wore out then he stuck a 100k mile unit in and it went another 150 a D he had to throw another used unit in. Cheaper to throw a wrecked unit in than replace clutches it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back