2014 Ford Explorer Spark Plug Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a few recalls that required a visit to the dealer to handle and while there, they recommended to change the sparkplugs (at a premium of $600). I declined and changed them in about 2 hours this morning. Ford Platinums were the OEM plug and they had about 96K miles on them; a set of Autolite Iridium XP plugs took their place. Overall, not too bad, but the gaps were definitely widening. I changed the COP boots, the Evaporator Canister Purge Valve (it was throwing a code), and the intake gasket all of which was garnered from AAP with a 30% off discount code.

The engine idles smoother than it did prior to the plug change and my son noticed it as well (it is his car). Not a awful job, but a few hoses and harnesses to disconnect and reconnect.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Very nice!! Its annoying to have to take the intake off, but all in all its not too difficult. A lot easier than some of the older designs.

That's the one thing I like about the modern trend of replacing a transverse V6 with a turbo-4, that the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets are easier to do

Originally Posted by Kira
Which engine would be in a 2014 Explorer?

Is there an Evaporator Canister Purge Valve on my 2005 4.0l Ranger engine?

3.5L V6 sometimes called the Cyclone engine. The Purge Valves are super common, I have a pile of them a couple rows behind me for different cars.

The Ranger would have one, but they don't go as bad as the new design ones.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
That's the one thing I like about the modern trend of replacing a transverse V6 with a turbo-4, that the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets are easier to do

2 hours for that every 100K mi would mean nothing to me, while the larger problem with the 3.5L Cyclone is it's one of the ones with the internal water pump that can foul oil, wreck engine when it fails, as well as the $1200+ cost to replace it.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

2 hours for that every 100K mi would mean nothing to me, while the larger problem with the 3.5L Cyclone is it's one of the ones with the internal water pump that can foul oil, wreck engine when it fails, as well as the $1200+ cost to replace it.

That water pump is an absolute nightmare to do, $1,200 would be a steal if it was a guy that could do it right.

Front differentials are a problem too, fluid dries up and the unit grenades. But if people just changed the Fluid on a regular basis (or even checked the level), it wouldn't be a problem.

^ Yeah I was only thinking labor cost when I wrote $1200, there are guys that can do it in 12 hours (x $100/hr) no problem, but a Ford shop won't be that cheap.

Last edited:
The plugs looks decent for 96,000 miles. I'm assuming it's not the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. The threads of all the plugs look like they have oil on them. Did you use a solvent when removing the plugs? Are the iridium plugs an update for that engine? Hopefully in the next week I'll be doing the plugs on my wife's 2017 Explorer. Thankfully it's the 4 cylinder 2.3 EB engine
grin2.gif
. I got the replacement Motorcraft iridium plugs from Rock Auto for ~$4.25/each.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
The plugs looks decent for 96,000 miles. I'm assuming it's not the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. The threads of all the plugs look like they have oil on them. Did you use a solvent when removing the plugs? Are the iridium plugs an update for that engine? Hopefully in the next week I'll be doing the plugs on my wife's 2017 Explorer. Thankfully it's the 4 cylinder 2.3 EB engine
grin2.gif
. I got the replacement Motorcraft iridium plugs from Rock Auto for ~$4.25/each.

Whimsey

It is not the Ecoboost, it is normally aspirated. No solvent was needed, they all removed relatively easily. There was no oil puddled in the sparkplug wells so I was not concerned. I believe the iridium plugs would be an upgrade since the OEM Motorcraft plugs were platinum.

No pics of the R&R process? If you got the job done in two hours, I wonder if the intake had to be pulled or if Ford packaged the drivetrain in a way not to bank the engine towards the firewall like Toyota does.

The plugs look like NGK or Denso - the Japanese will usually put blue rings(NGK) or writing(Denso) on their OE-spec Pt/Ir plugs. I can make out a NGK or Denso part number - if it begins in I/S it's iridium.

Originally Posted by nthach
No pics of the R&R process? If you got the job done in two hours, I wonder if the intake had to be pulled or if Ford packaged the drivetrain in a way not to bank the engine towards the firewall like Toyota does.

The plugs look like NGK or Denso - the Japanese will usually put blue rings(NGK) or writing(Denso) on their OE-spec Pt/Ir plugs. I can make out a NGK or Denso part number - if it begins in I/S it's iridium.

The intake did have to be pulled to access the sparkplugs on the rear bank. Less than 10 bolts to remove it and the gasket is silicone, it was an easy job.

The OEM sparkplugs were Motorcraft platinums as noted on the ceramic insulators. I am not sure who makes them for Ford.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

The intake did have to be pulled to access the sparkplugs on the rear bank. Less than 10 bolts to remove it and the gasket is silicone, it was an easy job.

That's a walk in the park compared to the ordeal on Toyotas where vacuum lines, connectors and a bunch of other things needed to be pulled.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back