2014 Durango capless fuel filler replacement

wwillson

Staff member
I kept getting a CEL in the Durango, so I took it to my friends shop to have him check the code(s). He found a P0456, which is a code on the evaporative emissions system. He said that most of the time when they see the code with a vehicle the age and miles of my Durago, it's the flapper on the capless filler that's leaking. I didn't know this, but my Durango and many other vehicles have a pump that slightly pressurizes the fuel tank and monitors if there is a leak-down. If a leak, even small, is detected, you'll get a CEL light and usually a P0456. He attempted to clean the door, reset the code, because we wanted to see of the code would come back. Sure enough, it did so we replaced the capless filler neck. It was on back order for a few weeks, but it did get replaced, which fixed the CEL. We also preemptively replaced the pump, at a cost of $60, so we didn't have the labor of removing the inner fender again. The entire job was $660 and I only got charged an hour of labor. The mechanic that did the job has 35 years of experience and really hustles. He'll do three jobs in the time it takes another mechanic there to do one. Both experienced and do good work, just one of the guys does everything in low gear.

I had no idea how complex a filler neck is, nor did I know they would have to replace the entire assembly all the way to the tank.

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

I had the same thing with my '14 Grand Cherokee. It's an updated part number and looks a little different. Also check connections for your purge valve just for good measure.

I have two vehicles that are cap-less, I hate them both. I do not trust that water dirt and road grime does not get on the surface and end up in the tank when you insert the nozzle. IMO just a big money maker for dealers who are replacing them on the regular. When was the last time you replaced a filler neck on a vehicle that had a gas cap? Probably never like me.

I have two vehicles that are cap-less, I hate them both. I do not trust that water dirt and road grime does not get on the surface and end up in the tank when you insert the nozzle. IMO just a big money maker for dealers who are replacing them on the regular. When was the last time you replaced a filler neck on a vehicle that had a gas cap? Probably never like me.

I think you make a good point!! My 1996 Project Civic car just had the fuel filler replaced and it was original. Had to replace the gas tank (3rd tank, if you count the original) so I decided to replace the filler, glad I did! The original was rusting inside the neck (down by the tank)! (also replaced the fuel pump, can really tell the difference in power now! glad I did that!) but.. Got an aftermarket filler neck, since Honda has discontinued the original. But hey, 26 years isn't too bad of a run! I wonder if the "newer" cars the bean-counters are taking over and making it very cheap, price and quality. Hopefully this replacement @wwillson just had replaced, lasts a lot longer than only 8 years..

How do you keep accumulated dust and dirt out of the tank?
You don't, which is why I'm not a fan of the capless system. I don't drive on gravel, so dirt isn't much of a problem for me, but I'll bet if I put some white sticky tape inside the fuel door, you would be surprised how much dirt gets stuck to it. I would like to see the screen on the fuel pump after a couple hundred thousand miles.

You don't, which is why I'm not a fan of the capless system. I don't drive on gravel, so dirt isn't much of a problem for me, but I'll bet if I put some white sticky tape inside the fuel door, you would be surprised how much dirt gets stuck to it. I would like to see the screen on the fuel pump after a couple hundred thousand miles.
I drive on gravel every day, I would hate that!

Back