2014 BMW 328d impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I recently had a chance to drive my FILs 2014 BMW 328d sedan. He bought it used, so perhaps this plays some part of me not being impressed at all by this vehicle, but it does have less than 50k miles, so I can't imagine my impression would have been any different if it was brand new.

But let's start with things I liked.
- the exterior styling looks great IMO. The proportions are just right, and it's just a good looking sedan overall that will most likely age very well, like a lot of German designs, and not look silly in few years.
- the interior is also nice, good fit and finish.
- brakes were very good.
- the automatic 8spd transmission shifted nice and smooth.

That's really as much as I liked.
Things I didn't like:
- the tacked on infotainment screen, in top of that, no backup camera.
- door lock actuators. Yeah I never though I would have a complaint with one of these. But when they engage, they make a loud CLUNK, as if something dropped inside the door. All sound the same whether you lock or unlock.
- the ride is quite harsh. But I could tell it was not the suspension, but rather the combination of 19 inch wheels and 45 side wall tires. Maybe they were run flats as well, but I don't know. I think a 50 side wall and better tires would improve the ride dramatically.
- the diesel engine is nothing special. I didn't bother looking up its specs, but turbo lag was very obvious and the engine felt lazy at low RPM. It got motivated OK once boost kicked in around 2k RPM. Also, being a 4 cylinder it was harsh and felt out of place in this supposedly luxury brand.
- the start stop was very annoying and compounded with diesel engine, the start/stop events were very obvious both in sound and vibrations. The AC performance was also reduced dramatically when the engine stopped.
- the automatic climate control was weak. I had to adjust the temperature constantly with changing sun exposure to feel comfortable as it didn't react properly by itself. And I made sure it was not in Eco mode.
- the steering feedback was poor. They are trying to match Toyota quite well in this regard.
- driver's side door had a clunk when closing, something already was getting loose inside of it.

Not an impressive vehicle to me at all. My FIL paid $15k for it and for that price it's an OK vehicle. For what they go brand new, no way I would buy one. Maybe the gasoline version is slightly better, but have my doubts.

I never realized they put start stop on a diesel. I don't see any good coming from that. Any way to permanently disable it?

My SIL & BIL had 3 BMWs at once. Though I can't remember the years of them all, they are/were all current gen's but, purchased when they were within the most recent redesigned year(s).

X5, 328xi, Z4
All are really fast but, almost never out of the repair shop.
Now, they've gotten rid of all except the Z4 in which my SIL loves too much to part with it. They've moved back to Toyota/Lexus from which they came.

Their neighbor bought a new 5 series sedan and is amazed on how she can't keep it out of the shop for a brand new car. I wonder if she'll move back to Caddy.

I find the 328 to be an uncomfortable daily driver. I just can't seem to get a good fit. My BIL loved the 328 but also though it was uncomfortable and he(like myself) is not a big guy. I find my buddy's Audi A4 to be better in the comfort dept wit a better overall absorbent ride. My wife's girlfriend has a C300 and it too is not that comfortable but, it rides nice.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
No way to disable it that I could see. But it would disable by itself if the steering wheel was turned, brake pedal was very lightly pressed or the climate control wasn't able to keep up.

The button to turn it off is attached to the engine start button.

V8XYw7HiYgE6c1VJ7

Makes me glad I didn't go with a diesel. My '15 328i, gas engine, had none of the problems you mention -- maybe I was just lucky, and it had 17" wheels and fairly high-profile tires. The dealer, I think, can program the car so that the Auto Stop Start will remember the last setting -- in other words, if you turn it off and drive, when you turn the car on again, it will be off.

As I said, I only had it four months; I can't speak to repair and maintenance costs.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
No way to disable it that I could see. But it would disable by itself if the steering wheel was turned, brake pedal was very lightly pressed or the climate control wasn't able to keep up.

1. You can disable S/S. You can actually disable it permanently.
2. Yes, that car has RFT. That is why ride is harsh.
3. BMW went with lower powered diesel for F30. Previous E90 had M57 6cyl which was faster than most gas cars on the street, but BMW needed to bump fleet MPG.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
My SIL & BIL had 3 BMWs at once. Though I can't remember the years of them all, they are/were all current gen's but, purchased when they were within the most recent redesigned year(s).

X5, 328xi, Z4
All are really fast but, almost never out of the repair shop.
Now, they've gotten rid of all except the Z4 in which my SIL loves too much to part with it. They've moved back to Toyota/Lexus from which they came.

Their neighbor bought a new 5 series sedan and is amazed on how she can't keep it out of the shop for a brand new car. I wonder if she'll move back to Caddy.

I find the 328 to be an uncomfortable daily driver. I just can't seem to get a good fit. My BIL loved the 328 but also though it was uncomfortable and he(like myself) is not a big guy. I find my buddy's Audi A4 to be better in the comfort dept wit a better overall absorbent ride. My wife's girlfriend has a C300 and it too is not that comfortable but, it rides nice.

It is not for everyone.
People do not buy BMW because of comfort.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Makes me glad I didn't go with a diesel. My '15 328i, gas engine, had none of the problems you mention -- maybe I was just lucky, and it had 17" wheels and fairly high-profile tires. The dealer, I think, can program the car so that the Auto Stop Start will remember the last setting -- in other words, if you turn it off and drive, when you turn the car on again, it will be off.

As I said, I only had it four months; I can't speak to repair and maintenance costs.

My 2014 2er has had one failure- an auxiliary fan, replaced under warranty. Aside from that all it's required is annual oil changes and brake fluid and coolant changes every two years. My ti needed a new A/C compressor after 24 years, so I'm not complaining.
None of my 12 BMWs have required lots of repairs, but then I always stay on top of maintenance and take them to shops where the techs have opposable thumbs.
An M2 is a front-runner to replace the 2er.

Originally Posted by edyvw

1. You can disable S/S. You can actually disable it permanently.
2. Yes, that car has RFT. That is why ride is harsh.
3. BMW went with lower powered diesel for F30. Previous E90 had M57 6cyl which was faster than most gas cars on the street, but BMW needed to bump fleet MPG.

Good to know the S/S can be disabled. Tire/wheel size choice is a big screw up on BMW's part. If they want to cater to the style, they should tune the suspension to negate their poor choice. Absolutley no excuse there.

I never drove a 335d, but from all accounts I read/heard it was a very good engine. This diesel 4 banger is a turd. IMO, the VWs 2.0 TDI in my FILs 2011 Jetta was better. Maybe it was the lighter vehicle or the 6spd DSG, maybe both. I don't care, BMW screwed this one and I guess the steep depreciation reflects this.

Last edited:
There is a reason German's love the current Mustang GT 5.0. All the performance of an expensive BMW and half the cost.

Sure, many models of BMW are far higher end cars. But it's hard to beat the fun of 460 responsive hp

Originally Posted by Cujet
There is a reason German's love the current Mustang GT 5.0. All the performance of an expensive BMW and half the cost.

Sure, many models of BMW are far higher end cars. But it's hard to beat the fun of 460 responsive hp

I seriously considered a CPO Mustang GT before I bought my CPO M235i; I'd even say it was the first runner-up. However, when all was said and done the 2er's combination of compact size, equivalent acceleration, decent handling,exceptional fuel economy, and a usable rear seat won out- and the price delta between a 2015 CPO GT Premium with the performance package and a 2014 was inconsequential.The more I drove it the more I was convinced that I made the right choice- the ability to switch from a sedate cruiser to an accomplished track rat at the push of a button is a big plus for me.
It also doesn't hurt that my local BMW dealer's service department doesn't try to gouge me every time I walk in the door and also doesn't give me a hassle over tracking the car.
Will my next car be a BMW? We'll see; all I know for sure is that it will be another RWD coupe that is at least as fast as the 2 Series.

Almost every BMW model has at least 2 or 3 wheels size options along with various suspension setups via with an assortment of package options. You can run the VIN online to get an idea of how the vehicle left the factory. 19" were not standard for this vehicle but it is possible that was delivered that way. Back up cameras in 2014 were an option as well.

Many of the 328d (320d in ROW) were sold with a minimum of options. Oh and ya there's some turbo lag but it is a 4-cylinder diesel fed by solenoid injectors making only ~200 hp. The F3x-series vehicles were the first 3-series with electronic steering. It, along with the base suspension, was a constant complaint from people who were familiar with the brand, but BMW was trying to expand their customer base by attracting buyers who weren't bother by such things.

I had a 335d and test drove a 328d. I was not impressed by the turbo lag and I was annoyed by their decision to not bring over a higher hp variant of the 4-cylinder diesel. Your FIL will average over 40 mpgs on the highway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back