2014 6.7 Powerstroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousins truck, SRW F350 Longbed 4x4. He bought it used with 97k and as of today when I changed the oil it had 106k. He just started a new business and he and his wife are expecting a child so Im trying to help him by getting him decently priced quality oil and filter.

Last oil change was Rotella 15W40, this oil change I used Supertech 15W40 (states on bottle it meets Ford 171 current spec) and a Napa Gold 7151, which I get at a discount. Since it still has emissions intact, Ill change it every 6k miles, and once we delete it Ill extend the oci with a UOA. Does this sound like a sound plan?

6K is not a really big deal for an OCI on the 6.7L PSD engines, UNLESS there is a lot of idling or short tripping at which point fuel dilution comes into play. Even with a 4-5% dilution rate, the wear metals never increased dramatically on my 2015. They averaged 15ppm Fe (the universal average is 32ppm per 6,500 miles) over the 50K miles I had it, but I changed it anyway at a maximum 7K interval. Once deleted and provided you have a decent tune, you should be able to extend the OCI quite a bit, but you will want to baseline it with a few UOAs along the way.

That should work. I would not exceed 350 hours per oci though if he idles the engine frequently

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Cousins truck, SRW F350 Longbed 4x4. He bought it used with 97k and as of today when I changed the oil it had 106k. He just started a new business and he and his wife are expecting a child so Im trying to help him by getting him decently priced quality oil and filter.

Last oil change was Rotella 15W40, this oil change I used Supertech 15W40 (states on bottle it meets Ford 171 current spec) and a Napa Gold 7151, which I get at a discount. Since it still has emissions intact, Ill change it every 6k miles, and once we delete it Ill extend the oci with a UOA. Does this sound like a sound plan?

Yes. Agree with all of the above comments.

With the 6.7 having an IOLM it has been proven time and again through UOA that 0% IOLM is conservative. Just relax and drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back