2014 2.0 jetta burning oil

Im not sure where to start, I don't think there is a PCV vale either, and no leaks.

I am guessing neglect from previous owner (car fax shows 12-15 thousand mile intervals).

The car is at 128,400 as we speak, the oil was changed 6,000 miles ago with rotella t4 15w40.

I don't think the piston rings are to blame but the oil control rings might be getting clogged, so I will use hpl engine cleaner to help.

Possible leak areas: Valve stem seals, oil control rings/piston rings (unlikely for piston rings)

Any advice?

How much consumption. And those intervals sound long enough to leave enough deposit to seize oil control rings but not really damage. I'd give that engine a good cleaning. I'd run that hpl cleaner with that thicker oil for at least a few hundred miles as it's not gonna hurt anything only do it job better. I wouldn't do some wasteful half hour spill.

Short oil changes and synthetic oils are a good start.

I wouldn't bother with any cleaners until you have a few 3-4k oil changes. Or, inspect engine for sludge 1st.

Short oil changes and synthetic oils are a good start.

I wouldn't bother with any cleaners until you have a few 3-4k oil changes. Or, inspect engine for sludge 1st.
I've had this car since 112,000 miles. Since then it has seen only high detergent hdeo. I am sure a good amount of sludge has been gone.

The first thing I would do is handheld vacuum gauge and maybe follow with a compression test.

CCRC-Vacuum-image-853x1024.jpg

The first thing I would do is handheld vacuum gauge and maybe follow with a compression test.

View attachment 129400
My bet is on the bottom left or bottom right. "Leaky...Carb Gasket" or "Carb Out of Adjustment".

On a serious note - it's the mighty 2.slow. Keep the oil level in check, and it will outlive everything it's attached to. Or proceed with your plan for HPL EC, good plan IMHO. I'd personally stick with some Euro flavor of oil, but HDEO is usually half the price of Euro, and is a good option if climate allows. I'd also keep it at 5k OCI max: cleaner engine and easy to keep track of - 120k,125k,130k,135k,140k,etc.

Last edited:
HPL EC along with their oils for at least two intervals. Think of the EC as just the appetizer. Their oils do a lot of cleaning also.

How much did it use going from 112k to 118k? is it using more now?

I ordered hpl 40 weight engine cleaner so we will see after how much it burns after.

Back