2013 Versa 6k miles, new engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got a tech with some good ears and common sense to listen to my new Versa in regards to the rattleing/knocking noise it has when its warm. They pulled another car in off the lot and listened to them side by side and concluded that I was right, my car has issues!

They called me and said we are putting a new shortblock in it after conducting a cylinder balance test they found cyl #2 abnormal. I guess I'm thankfull for the warranty and no questions asked but I hate having a brand new car molested so soon!

I used to regard Nissan as very high quality but now I see they partnered with Renault which doesn't look like it was a good idea...

I remember you posting that your engine was real loud on Mobil 1 0W-30. Do you remember if the noise started at exactly the same time, or has it gotten louder with time?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Finally got a tech with some good ears and common sense to listen to my new Versa in regards to the rattleing/knocking noise it has when its warm. They pulled another car in off the lot and listened to them side by side and concluded that I was right, my car has issues!

They called me and said we are putting a new shortblock in it after conducting a cylinder balance test they found cyl #2 abnormal. I guess I'm thankfull for the warranty and no questions asked but I hate having a brand new car molested so soon!

I used to regard Nissan as very high quality but now I see they partnered with Renault which doesn't look like it was a good idea...

Even a high quality company can have an issue. I wouldn't hold it against them, every manufacturer has problem areas. Chrysler has front suspension and electronics, Ford had engine blocks that liked shooting spark plugs, Toyota FJs had frame issues, Mercedes left out the Synthetic requirement for their MM which led to big issues, etc. etc.

I'm coming to learn that it's hard to pick a genuinely bad car, the most important part of ensuring a healthy car is to give that car the care it deserves.

So one bad engine makes an automotive partnership mistake?

Unless there are a rash of failures in these vehicles, I'd say it's Probably just a fluke. It is a bummer, though.

Infant mortality. You've got time on the factory warranty and they usually let you buy factory extended warranties any time before the original one runs out if you feel nervous.

I'd feel weird about a dealer tech putting your old head on, probably going to reuse your timing belt and other stuff too. I had a saturn s series that they took all the way apart under warranty to replace one (1) piston that was out of spec.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd feel weird about a dealer tech putting your old head on, probably going to reuse your timing belt and other stuff too. I had a saturn s series that they took all the way apart under warranty to replace one (1) piston that was out of spec.

Why should warranty to replace them when they aren't bad? If they went ahead and just replaced everything, and Nissan called the parts back and there was nothing wrong, the dealer eats the whole repair.

I wouldn't worry about it either. Stuff like that just happens.

BUT, I would make sure everything is properly documented by the dealer and I would keep very strict record of my maintenance history from now on adhering to the recommended intervals. This engine had its early issues and you have no control over the quality of work performed by the dealer. Most likely than not you won’t have any more problems after the fix, but it’s better to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Why should warranty to replace them when they aren't bad? If they went ahead and just replaced everything, and Nissan called the parts back and there was nothing wrong, the dealer eats the whole repair.

I think he was more talking about a tech installing a head than the fact that the head has 6k miles on it and is essentially new.

Last edited:
^ Right, I would rather my engine be robotically assembled on the line with 1000 others in an ISO 9002 facility not one-off by a dealer tech for whom it could very well be his first time. If Nissan is reimbursing under warranty they have to make it cheaper than a long block, eg, everything.

However, "infant mortality" applies to the rebuild too and the warranty is long.

I'm would not hold the problem against Nissan, stuff happens.

But I am a little suprised they are not replacing the whole engine.
Personally, for reasons already stated, I would feel better if they did.
And say so!

I would like to think the engine, as a whole, would go back to Nissan for disassembly and assessment.

We used to get running complete engines all the time for warranty issues, all wiring and everything was there, even had oil in it. Those days are over, now tear them down and do a cost cap. Most are repairable.

Ive had at least 2 early warranty rebuilds, and they didnt go well at all during or after - evidencing a myriad of repair issues. I would really ask for a new car if this happend to me again. Has it been less than 6 months age on the Versa?
With my VW Fox in the early 90s, I was worried about the engine rebuild (which had a crank kit put in due to incorrect crank pin clearance) but they messed up EVERYTHING else including snapping off internal (and unaccesable) frame rail pems nuts that attached the subframe to the unitbody. Hyundai destroyed my (previously to service) excellent Sonata 5MT - including not even bolting the transaxle tail to the unitframe.

When I say GOOD LUCK to you, I meant it! Poor service is de rigueur

Last edited:
Hopefully things will go well; however, if they don't and you have to keep bringing your car in for the same problem you may want to explore your legal remedies. In most states there are Lemon laws to protect us as the consumer. Sure they are a pain to enforce but when you fork out a ton of money on a new car you need to be prudent and get what you pay for.

Fluke story here. Bought a new 2002 Ford Escape with 3.0 Duratec. Drove it home and found a significant pool of oil on the garage floor that night. Returned the Escape the next day. After 3 days of troubleshooting they said, no problem, we are replacing the engine. I suggested they either, allow me to return the car and refund my money, or allow me to pick another new Escape from the lot. We agreed on the second choice. Not sure what the dealer did on the PDI .....

I know this may just be a fluke but it still it bothers me! I've NEVER bought a brand new car, I'm a mechanic and I've always bought older stuff and just fixed it up, due to my very long commute and lack of time I wanted something that I could drive for 100k+ miles and not have any problems and nowadays that is very much plausible with new cars as long as you maintain them.

I'd much rather have an entire new engine, which wouldn't concern me near as much, just R&R. But they said short block, and the tech told me he had done several of these on the Versas.. which didnt give me a real good feeling
wink.gif

This noise was evident with the factory fill but did get noticeably louder with the M1... I can't contribute it to the oil though as it seems there was a flaw in the bottom end all along.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory comment on how supposedly reliable Japanese branded cars are. Isn't this car actually made in Mexico?

Chrysler had a problem with the 3.8L engine they put in the Wranglers. The mexican plan had such low quality that they were installing the rings backwards, installing the pistons wrong and the bearings wrong.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I know this may just be a fluke but it still it bothers me! I've NEVER bought a brand new car, I'm a mechanic and I've always bought older stuff and just fixed it up, due to my very long commute and lack of time I wanted something that I could drive for 100k+ miles and not have any problems and nowadays that is very much plausible with new cars as long as you maintain them.

I'd much rather have an entire new engine, which wouldn't concern me near as much, just R&R. But they said short block, and the tech told me he had done several of these on the Versas.. which didnt give me a real good feeling
wink.gif

This noise was evident with the factory fill but did get noticeably louder with the M1... I can't contribute it to the oil though as it seems there was a flaw in the bottom end all along.

Have you specifically asked the dealer/Nissan that a crate engine be installed instead? I'm not sure by the above. It only states that they told you a short block.

If they refuse... what is your warranty on that car, specifically on the powertrain?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

This is what my local service writer tells me. Mfgr's are getting tough on warranty for anything, you can't just rip it out and replace it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back