2013 Tacoma Base- Intermittent A/C blinking light

I recently noticed that my a/c light starts blinking intermittently and the a/c begins to quit blowing cold air. I can cycle the ac switch, leaving it off for 10 seconds, and the ac will start back working. I know if the light is blinking then the ac speed sensor is detecting a mismatch between ac compressor speed and engine rpm. There is a control unit in the glovebox area that compares engine rpm and the signal from a speed sensor on the compressor and it deactivates the ac clutch to keep from burning up the accessory belt. The ac relay and magnetic clutch relay check fine. Anyone else try to troubleshoot this issue on a Toyota?
If it helps, it only cuts out when temps are 95 or above or when humidity is very very high like mid morning. Basically when the ac would be working the hardest.

* Loose / worn belt.
* Relay not closing every time. It may "check fine" when tested once. Find another relay of the same type on the car and swap them.
* Clutch not engaging every time, because gap is too wide. This gets worse with high under-hood temperature.

I fixed a 2011 Honda CRV that had too big of a gap in the clutch. When the temp outside got hotter the ac would work less often. I removed a shim and it has been flawless so far.

Replacing the relay may not be a bad idea also.

Back