2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting the oil Specs for a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS and it called fro M1 5W20 EP and or M1 0W20 EP which one should i go with 5W or 0W? Its a Naturally Aspirated 2,4L GDI Engine

Thanks Guys

I would use whatever is cheaper. Any 0w-20 or 5w-20 will work fine, regardless of brand. If you are that worried, use 5w-20 in warm months and 0w-20 in cold months

If your in an urban area Hyundai is going to require 3750 mile / 6 month oil changes for warranty. If you are in a less urban area and can average epa combined mpg or better then you can do 7500 mile / 12 month changes.

No reason to buy synthetic for either. No real gain for the short mileages you will be allowed to run.

We have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4L GDI and Accent SE 1.6L GDI. The Sonata averages sub-city rated mpg (lots of short trips) and gets 3750 / 6 month changes. The Accent averages 13% over highway rated mpg (41.8 mpg) and gets 7500 mile / 6 month changes.

Both are using Mobil Special 5W30 (allowed alternative weight). This is the cheapest name brand oil you can get here (sales excepted.)

PS I would use 5W20 over 0W20 because Hyundai can be a real pain with warranty if they don't specifically allow something.

Last edited:
Two things,

M1 0w20 is great stuff but where in the manual did anyone see that the 2.4 'calls for' either M1 or 0w20? Mine only allows for 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. Hyundai 'recommends QS' Use whatever brand you'd like...

Two: urban vs rural??? I haven't seen anything discussing this either. I live in Miami, Fl. and neither, the dealership, Owners Manual or even HyundaiUSA has advised me which oci to use. They have all recommended I read the the Severe Service section to discern if that is needed, just don't extend past 7500 miles for warranty reasons.

It is correct that synthetic isn't called for though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
The 0W-20 is not an OEM Hyundai oil spec.
Just curious where you were getting the oil specs?

Mobil 1 website

Originally Posted By: Gene K
If your in an urban area Hyundai is going to require 3750 mile / 6 month oil changes for warranty. If you are in a less urban area and can average epa combined mpg or better then you can do 7500 mile / 12 month changes.

No reason to buy synthetic for either. No real gain for the short mileages you will be allowed to run.

We have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4L GDI and Accent SE 1.6L GDI. The Sonata averages sub-city rated mpg (lots of short trips) and gets 3750 / 6 month changes. The Accent averages 13% over highway rated mpg (41.8 mpg) and gets 7500 mile / 6 month changes.

Both are using Mobil Special 5W30 (allowed alternative weight). This is the cheapest name brand oil you can get here (sales excepted.)

PS I would use 5W20 over 0W20 because Hyundai can be a real pain with warranty if they don't specifically allow something.

So i can't run synthetic for a 7500 mile interval according to Hyundai's warranty?

Last edited:
It doesn't just call for those two, it calls for:

Mobil Super 5000 5w20
Mobil Super 5000 5w20 syn
M1 5w20
M1 0w20
M1 5w20 EP
etc.

Originally Posted By: wemay
It doesn't just call for those two, it calls for:

Mobil Super 5000 5w20
Mobil Super 5000 5w20 syn
M1 5w20
M1 0w20
M1 5w20 EP
etc.

with your 2.4 sonata how long do you stretch your intervals with synthetic?

If I were using 5w20, 5000
I prefer 5w30 so will go 7500 on syn.

Dilution is the main reason many feel a shorter oci is needed, yet many other bitogers are now of the opinion that dilution is an overblown topic. I have never smelled fuel on either vehicles dipstick. For whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
If I were using 5w20, 5000
I prefer 5w30 so will go 7500 on syn.

Dilution is the main reason many feel a shorter oci is needed, yet many other bitogers are now of the opinion that dilution is an overblown topic. I have never smelled fuel on either vehicles dipstick. For whatever that's worth.

So you feel safe to go 7500 miles on syn?

No issue at all. Remember, the main viscosity (as seen on the oil cap and in the OM) is 5w20. Im going one up with 5w30 (also allowed). It doesnt require syn and yet im using it as well. If l didnt trust this vehicle to go the full normal oci with these precautions, I shouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:
Also now using 5w30 since it is allowed. Did several OCI's with 5w20 initially and just wasn't all that impressed although it seemed to run okay. Probably just my bias against the thinner oil but I feel better having a good 5w30 in there now, especially with this heat.

My 2010 2.4L Hyundai specs 5w-20 but book allows 5w-30 and 10w-30, QC recommended. 3750 severe & 7.5k normal service OC.

So I'm using PP 5w-30, 5k OCIs. ~95% highway.

And the OEM oil filter is good quality.

Two things,

M1 0w20 is great stuff but where in the manual did anyone see that the 2.4 'calls for' either M1 or 0w20? Mine only allows for 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. Hyundai 'recommends QS' Use whatever brand you'd like...

Two: urban vs rural??? I haven't seen anything discussing this either. I live in Miami, Fl. and neither, the dealership, Owners Manual or even HyundaiUSA has advised me which oci to use. They have all recommended I read the the Severe Service section to discern if that is needed, just don't extend past 7500 miles for warranty reasons.

Hyundai is reputed to have voided warranties when people lived in major urban areas (Like NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc) when people used the normal oci and then had an engine failure. Since Ive only read the stories second hand I dont know that Im getting the whole story.

Originally Posted By: Grambo

So i can't run synthetic for a 7500 mile interval according to Hyundai's warranty?

If you qualify for the normal oci then 7500 miles on 5W20 M1 is fine. M1 just isnt really needed for that short of mileage with a normal service duty. I dont know that Hyundai would try to void the warranty with an engine problem if you use 0w20 but I know you wont have any luck getting the customer service line to say its okay.

If I didnt know they would pull the PCM record of the Sonata (and see the low fuel mileage and high start count) if I had engine failure I would run synthetic in it and change at 7500 miles.

Two things,

Hyundai is reputed to have voided warranties when people lived in major urban areas (Like NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc) when people used the normal oci and then had an engine failure. Since Ive only read the stories second hand I dont know that Im getting the whole story.

Any links to these warranty denials due to low mpg while running a normal service oci would be great. Please share...
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
CITGO SUPERGARD Full Synthetic.
56.gif

LOL.. I've been following those threads and said to myself... it's only a matter of time Merk'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back