2013 Ford Edge 3.5, Mobil 1 UOA

I had a recent UOA done, maybe somebody can chime in and explain it a little bit better, I did have a recent water pump, timing chain, oil pump, preventive maintenance job this past spring, this is the second oil change since then.. I do mostly city driving. I do notice, TBN is only 1.8 for less than 3500 miles and 6 months.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022-145049~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022-145049~2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 160
I had a recent UOA done, maybe somebody can chime in and explain it a little bit better, I did have a recent water pump, timing chain, oil pump, preventive maintenance job this past spring, this is the second oil change since then.. I do mostly city driving. I do notice, TBN is only 1.8 for less than 3500 miles and 6 months.

Thank you
Can you upload the report?

The wear would not be outlandish for a recent major internal job such as the coolant pump.
The contamination is low; no coolant showing, which is good. The Si is silicon from the sealant on the front cover after repairs.
The TAN number is 1.8; I don't see a TBN.

The wear would not be outlandish for a recent major internal job such as the coolant pump.
The contamination is low; no coolant showing, which is good. The Si is silicon from the sealant on the front cover after repairs.
The TAN number is 1.8; I don't see a TBN.
Is that acid number good or bad?

Is that acid number good or bad?
It's kind of hard to tell without a virgin value, but it seems pretty low for a used value. You might contact them and ask them for a TBN (if they still have enough oil for a retest). TAN is not typically used on used oil analysis. I wonder if you might've ticked the wrong box on the paperwork. TAN is more often used for transmission fluids.

Neither of them was on the paperwork that I recall.. Should I stay with the same oil? On that particular oil change I used Wix XP oil filter, right now I'm using a Purolator one oil filter.

Last edited:
Keep Using Mobil 1 until u get a clear and clean UOA with TBN on it . Then you can switch if your not happy with the results

I think it looks good for the time being. Just sample again later on & see where the numbers take you from there.

Scott S said:
I know somebody recommended bumping up a grade, from 5w20 to 5w30
That somebody appears to be you; you're the first to bring it up ...

The Cyclone engines in n/a form have no need for "thick" oils. They run exceptionally well on 5w-20 of any brand/base stock. For goodness sake, why the rush to a 30 grade? I challenge anyone to rationally and sensibly explain what it is they think exists in this report that would be cured by using a thicker oil. The wear is acceptable. The contamination is low. What is it that would be "better" if a 30 grade were used???

Last edited:

The Cyclone engines in n/a form have no need for "thick" oils. They run exceptionally well on 5w-20 of any brand/base stock. For goodness sake, why the rush to a 30 grade? I challenge anyone to rationally and sensibly explain what it is they think exists in this report that would be cured by using a thicker oil. The wear is acceptable. The contamination is low. What is it that would be "better" if a 30 grade were used???
I meant a neighbor. Wasn't me..

I'm going to call them today, to see if they have a TBN number, I'm really curious to see what it is, because the detergents, still seem pretty high in the oil. I'm going to cut the filter open later to see what it looks like.. since you recommend staying with a 5W-20 would you recommend staying with the Mobil 1? Neighbor was just saying that if I went with the 5W30 it would extend my chain life.. true or false I don't know, my chain was still tight when the engine was torn down..

Okay I got a call back, most tribology companies, go by TAN numbers at 1.8 I am fine, they wouldn't red flag it until 3.5 they only do TBNs on diesels. He wouldn't change anything, because everything seems in line. Silicone is high but that's because of the engine work..

Back