2013 Chevy Avalanche tent

Hi, I have 2013 Chevy Avalanche and wanting to get some opinions on the Smittybilt roof top tent. I am planning to go camping this summer with my family of 4. I want to know which is better compared to a stand alone tent? I find this one suits well for my pick up truck and I won't have any hard time to find where to set up a tent. What are the complaints or suggestions of having a roof top tent? I read a good review for this chevy avalanche tent for your truck. Can it also withstand strong winds?

The one you linked to lists it as sleeping 2-3, so you'll want a larger one. I used to be in the "Overland" scene pretty heavily so here is my opinion on roof top tents (RTT).
  • They add weight up high making the vehicle feel funny to drive.
  • Because it's a box on top, you'll be dealing with wind noise and reduced fuel economy.
  • They are no more resistant to wind than a good ground tent.
  • While they do set up fairly quickly, every time you want to move the vehicle, you have to break it down. If you're staying at the same campground, that means every morning, you'll have to close it up before going anywhere.
  • The price of a RTT is much, much higher than a really good ground tent. Your truck is going to need a rack to mount the tent too, which adds more expense. You're going to be $2k into a tent setup.

Reactions: JC1
RTT is a niche product. in many scenarios a good ground tent is better.. esp for 4.

to fit 4 ppl in a tent.. even adults 2 and 2 kids you probably want at least a 6 person tent.

Reactions: JC1
Other things to consider: you feel every little movement anyone makes, magnified. When someone has to pee.....

They're very trendy right now. 2 years ago you never saw them, now every time you go out you see them on trucks, SUVs, Subarus, etc.

I love the idea of a rooftop tent. But the aero drag is just too much. Plus, you have to fold up the tent to go anywhere. I went with a simple Walmart Greatlands Instant Tent. It literally takes about 1 minute to set up and maybe 4 minutes to fold up. But I do like that the rooftop tent is up off the ground, has the mattress built in, and most can be folded up with your sleeping bags laid out in them.

Really, in the end, I just can't get past the aero drag. Oh, and I wouldn't be able to run soft tops on the Jeeps, either. So that's a deal killer, too.

Why even consider the roof top tent for your Avalanche? In my mind, the Napier seems a much better choice for 2 adults and 2 kids with easier access, more room and at 1/4 the cost. Pop the back window out and lower the mid gate and you have iirc 15 feet of room from the front seat backs to the opened tail gate with the Napier, as well as the ability to enter and exit through the rear truck doors. You also have easy access to the front of the cab. A cheap foam or air mattress should work nicely in the bed floor. I considered the Napier tent for my Avalanche but the wife quickly shot it down. She said Her need to pee in the middle of the night shouldn’t require shoes and a flashlight. LOL!

I have an avalanche, 4 people? no way, unless you are all little people, even then....
I also have an Avalanche. I specifically mentioned 2 adults and 2 kids. I’m assuming the 2 kids aren’t 6 foot tall teenagers. With the tail gate down, which the tent will cover, and the mid gate lowered, upper torso of the adults laying where the back seat bottom is, there is plenty of room for average sized kids to sleep at the feet of the 2 adults Inside the tent. 4 adults would be a tight fit unless they were really, really close acquaintances.

Too much risk of someone falling and getting hurt, especially nighttime bathroom run. I still say its going to be too tight for 2 adults and 2 kids, especially for the price.

I think you would have a much more enjoyable time in this.

CORE-9-Person-Instant-Cabin-Tent-14-x-9-3.jpg

seems like a great idea until you have to load and unload all your stuff and climb in and out to go to the bathroom at night, no thanks. Do they make a bed tent? those look cool for normal trucks but not sure if its made for avalanche

seems like a great idea until you have to load and unload all your stuff and climb in and out to go to the bathroom at night, no thanks. Do they make a bed tent? those look cool for normal trucks but not sure if its made for avalanche

Also if you need to run out for anything supply wise, you have to pack up first.
You can leave your freestanding tent and come and go as you please.

Back