2013 328i CEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Actually in WA state they are doing away with emissions testing.

In CA there is emissions testing, aka the "tailpipe sniffer test" only for vehicles made before 2000. Any car made after 2000 gets a sloppy visual inspection of emission components and a scan tool diagnostic is performed.The vehicle's internal diagnostics will alert the driver if there is an emissions problem. In the best case scenario someone might get an emissions workshop alert right after passing a smog check and he can drive the car until the next smog check. Cops may give a fix-it ticket if they see you driving with a CEL on.

Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang

Not trying to troll here, but consider moving to a non inspection state. I remember dealing with that. What a PITA! Just another pointless government intrusion into your life.

Emissions testing will come to every state eventually, Especially the densely populated areas.

Nonsense "Tea" Taxes helped start the US of A

Nonsense other taxes, the ones where people leave $20s on their dashboard, so they can do something like say *drive to work* are equally retarded.

The pinnacle of freedom: no emission testing. Next step: tea was not thrown into Boston harbor, but O2 sensors.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Clubber_Lang, it's not a matter of like or dislike for regulations. It's about necessity.

It's necessary for the Government to be a nanny state?

Nevermind, California is the wonderland where if you are a taxpayer, you must pay another tax in order to build a fire in your own fireplace, but the homeless are exempt?

Just like George Washington would have wanted it I'm sure.

Last edited:
60k miles.

I was thinking it is more as BMW's have mandatory O2 sensors replacement at 120k.
Anyway, what are codes? Did you read out codes?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
60k miles.

Is it still under Emissions component warranty?

That is a good point. CAT should be under 70 or 80k warranty.
Edit: California, 80k warranty on emissions as far as I know.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure it's really the cat and not some other component causing this. I'm just curious. The car seems to pass or fail its internal emissions diagnostics always within the first 2 minutes after starting up. Then I either do or don't get the emissions workshop popup. Maybe something is wrong with the SAI but it doesn't trip a code?

I just want to make sure it's really the cat and not some other component causing this. I'm just curious. The car seems to pass or fail its internal emissions diagnostics always within the first 2 minutes after starting up. Then I either do or don't get the emissions workshop popup. Maybe something is wrong with the SAI but it doesn't trip a code?

How about you let us know which code you have? If CEL pops out once it will save code.
If code related to emissions is saved, BMW will run proper check to determine and they will not chase single point of failure. They do not have time for that, they will change all hardware.

Last edited:
The CEL has not returned and the code has been cleared. I forget the code. I wrote it down somewhere but can't find it. This happened months ago. It came down to catalyst system below efficiency threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back