2013 2.0 Skyactive oil leak

Working through the new-to-me 2013 CX-5, there seems to be a bit of an oil leak (a few drops / day) on the passenger rear bottom of the engine. Things are kind of tight in there and hard to see with things covered in oil. To those that know, is there any common leak in that area? All I can find is the VVT solenoid seal around the valve cover that seems to be a common leak, but mine is completely dry there. It appears to be around the Oil Control Valve and I have a new gasket for that ordered, but would love any input about what else to check. Filter mount gasket? Oil pan? Its not the filter or drain plug.
Thanks.

1615318531505.jpg

1615318637714.jpg

It needs the oil control valve, oil control valve seal and the valve cover gasket. Oil leaks thru the valve itself. I tried to replace the seal only and the oil leak came back within a day.

Edit: the circled part is not the correct one.

Last edited:
This is literally the only issue these engines have and it is a small one. The OCV will leak, even as early as 30k miles as seen on the rental Mazda 6 I had. Otherwise extremely durable/reliable engine.

In my case, it is the correct one. The one you are thinking of is up in the valve cover but is fine in mine. This one sits down behind the water pump at the bottom of the engine.

It’s the one in the middle:

F37D28D8-9E4C-42CF-9736-5CD09747DE3E.jpg

Back