Honda 1.8L minor oil leak

We've got a '12 Civic with the 1.8L engine and while doing an oil change today, I see an oil leak starting. I haven't pinned it down but it looks like this area might be it:

1672888506661.jpg

If you were standing facing the passenger front tire, this part is just below the valve cover (no sign of that gasket leaking) on the corner. That black plate is held in place by (3) fasteners. Is this the spool valve ? If not, any Honda-knowledgable folks know what it is ? Or what is a common leaker in that area ?

Looks like the spool valve (VTEC solenoid) is right there and the gasket for that is pretty common to fail, isn't it ? I thought that black cover was the spool valve but as you (Clinebarger) point out, it's something different.

Looks like the spool valve (VTEC solenoid) is right there and the gasket for that is pretty common to fail, isn't it ? I thought that black cover was the spool valve but as you (Clinebarger) point out, it's something different.
That spool valve gasket is a common leak point on the R18. $5 gasket from Honda, pretty easy to swap out.

Back