2012 Veloster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took delivery of an Ironman silver 2012 Hyundai Veloster with 6-spd dual clutch auto tranny, Style & Tech pkgs, all factory add-ons, i.e. floor mats, cargo tray, mud guards (4), wheel locks & cargo net, and dealer aftermarket full frontal clear bra. The car stickered at $23,685 (incl. freight) with $795 for the bra and an ADM of $2,995. I negotiated the sticker to 'dealer invoice', paid $429 for the bra, and the dealer waived the ADM (as expected). In addition, I received a $500 rebate for financing via Hyundai(HMF)...later I'll refinance at no cost through my credit union for an additional 1% interest rate saving.

Loaded with all the features incl. nav, connectivity, and superb fit & finish with dramatic styling (e.g. glass roof, aggressive appearance) and 29/38 mpg, I consider the vehicle to be an absolute value IMO.

The only complaint I have is the slow speed ride (VERY FIRM) and road noise (thrum) typical of econobox structures. I had expected both, but the thrum continues to annoy. Fortunately, the firm ride lessens with speed, e.g. 50-70 mph where the car is very comfortable. At all speeds the handling is superb and the relatively small GDI 138HP 1.6 is more than adequate for my mixed driving.

Really like the design and technology in those. If those DCTs turn out to be reliable I might have to put Hyundai on the shopping list.

Do you recommend it?

I was planning on when they drop the turbo into it buying one.

I love this car.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
How's the DSG?

Since I'm still in the early 'break-in' mileage arena, I'm not prepared to fully evaluate this tranny. One concern I have is that the downshifting/upshifting throw (i.e. forward or backward) is the exact opposite of my wife's Fusion. Also, the Vster has shift paddles which I'll have to get used to vs the Fusion's shift-lever-only. Another difference is the selection of Sport or Eco mode on the Vester's shift lever which further confuses the issue.

All this is going to take some time for me to adjust to (unlearn one...learn another), but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it shortly without having to hesitate a moment to recognize which vehicle I'm driving.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Do you recommend it?

I was planning on when they drop the turbo into it buying one.

I love this car.

Yes, I vigorously recommend the Vster, especially if you're looking for a tight, quality build, with great ergonomics and drop-dead styling (subjective opinions may differ). The interior mix of both textured hard surfaces with soft pliable materials is definitely best of class. Front seat leg room surpasses all but the very largest cars. At 6'1", straight-leg driver's legroom is important to me when coupled with a fully adjustable steering wheel. The single large driver's-side door vis-a-vis the two passenger-side doors may seem an oddity to some, but I find it handy for ingress/egress (ala my 3-door F-150).

As a driver, the only drawback I've found to this car is the serious limitation to rear quarter panel viewing. You really need to keep an active eye on traffic behind you and in your blind spot. This car could use a blind-spot detector such as my Fusion has...it's saved my bacon more than once.

The anticipated 208HP Turbo can only enhance the merits of this car for those who desire more performance...at a certain cost to fuel economy, of course.

Until the fresh appearance of this car wears off on the market, I consider it the best value on the road today. Two years ago, I felt the same about the Kia Forte, but....

Definitely a great small car. I had a chance to drive one recently at a Car and Driver event here on Long Island. It was one of those events where Hyundai videos the driving experience like you may have seen in various past Hyundai commercials.

Lots of neat features, Navigation, rear video camera and of course that DSG trans. And I did also like the soft touch materials around the cabin. They've put a nice overall package together. I'm probably not the best person to comment on power since I drove my G8GT to the event which has 361 ponies under the hood. But it seemed peppy enough. The handling felt very crisp. And it was pretty quiet at normal rpms. If I was in the market for a smaller car, this would definitely be at the top of my list. 38 highway MPG with the DSG and I believe 40mpg with the manual.

Just my 2c.

Ed B.

How's the "over the shoulder" visibility?
I have a feeling it might be bad...

Interesting Vehicle..although powertrain seems to anemic on paper
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
How's the "over the shoulder" visibility?
I have a feeling it might be bad...

Interesting Vehicle..although powertrain seems to anemic on paper
frown.gif

If you're a 'dart & weave' type commuter, you're going to be at constant risk due to the Vster's poor 'over the shoulder' visibilty.

Re: the powertrain. From a pragmatic view, the Vster is a quality built econobox in a hi-tech, stylistic wrap. The pending turbo model will alter that picture with a certain increase in fuel costs.

Thanks. that's a shame, but i guess it's impossible to design a hip looking car these days without compromising side visibility...well, not impossible, but it won't appeal to the general masses, if it was done
frown.gif

I find the 'over the shoulder' visibility pretty important, even when I am on hwy, or whenever i am changing lanes, but esp. in city driving...

BTW, I'd love to see someone do a comparo between the Veloster and the Volvo C30
smile.gif

Great looking car! Sounds like you got a real deal as well. I'm also impressed with Hyundai's fit and finish.

CNN criticized it quite a bit for poor performance, not quite living up to the car's name. But come on, not every car needs to reach 0-60 in 6 seconds flat! Other than that, it looks like an interesting package. Congrats!

Quote:

Hyundai Veloster: Looks fast, goes slow.

This car is called the Veloster -- as in "velocity." With its coupe-like look and blacked-out window pillars, it's designed to resemble a motorcycle helmet.

You might notice that it also resembles a doorstop. Actually, that's appropriate because, while this car has its good points, speed is not among them.

Yes, there are slower motor vehicles out there but, come on, it's called the Veloster, not the Keep-up-ster.

Ouch!

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1110/gallery.hyundai_veloster_review/?iid=GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back