2012 Subaru Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
CR-V does have better clearance. But way worse MPG. And more expensive. The CR-V is just so ugly though. No offense. It makes the Imprezza 5 door look good, and that is tough to do. Beauty is in the eye. The 4 door Imprezza is butt ugly too.

I just traded in my 2011 WRX 5-door for a 2012 Impreza 5-door with CVT. They have made some good changes, including more comfortable seats with nearly 2" longer leg padding, slimmer door panels (to enlarge the passenger volume), moved the A-pillar 8" forward for more room. Underneath it's much the same, some of my racing parts from the '11 bolted right up to the suspension. The new chassis is also a few hundred pounds lighter than the old one, and a bit stiffer. You can definitely feel it.

My base 2.0i CVT is rated at 36mpg. The CVT is peppy enough and is "geared" (programmed) properly for the FB20 engine. I am coming off of a 290hp turbocharged version of this car, and I find myself lacking for not very much...the real-world improvements, ride quality, and fuel mileage is fantastic!

If y'all have any questions, fire away. This is my 7th Subaru, so I can draw comparisons it your model if I can.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver

My base 2.0i CVT is rated at 36mpg. The CVT is peppy enough and is "geared" (programmed) properly for the FB20 engine.

Out of curiosity, what are you seeing MPG wise so far?

I agree with peppiness and programming. They've got it mated up to the old EJ25 perfectly too IMO.

You do know the ECU is calling all the shots if you floor it from a stand-still. It definitely doesn't give you all the throttle you're asking for initially, but does ramp in the E-throttle as you pick up speed.

OTOH, if you mat it from a low speed, it will toss you back in the seat pretty well.

Do you notice any different noises from your FB20/CVT? It may not be the CVT at all, but I've noticed a whirring saw-blade type noise out of mine at times If you've got the interior quiet enough to hear it.

Joel

I just traded in my 2011 WRX 5-door for a 2012 Impreza 5-door with CVT. They have made some good changes, including more comfortable seats with nearly 2" longer leg padding, slimmer door panels (to enlarge the passenger volume), moved the A-pillar 8" forward for more room. Underneath it's much the same, some of my racing parts from the '11 bolted right up to the suspension. The new chassis is also a few hundred pounds lighter than the old one, and a bit stiffer. You can definitely feel it.

My base 2.0i CVT is rated at 36mpg. The CVT is peppy enough and is "geared" (programmed) properly for the FB20 engine. I am coming off of a 290hp turbocharged version of this car, and I find myself lacking for not very much...the real-world improvements, ride quality, and fuel mileage is fantastic!

If y'all have any questions, fire away. This is my 7th Subaru, so I can draw comparisons it your model if I can.

Hey thanks for the info...

can you post some exterior and interior pics sometime ? I just prefer to look at 'real' pics as opposed to pics on Subaru website....

so you don't feel that it lacks 'ooomph' for merging etc eh? I know that wifey won't care about that part, but i am afraid i will regret just upping only 8 hp from her current Elantra for MY sake (lol - selfish there)
smile.gif

are power seat(s) an option at all?
is there an AUX jack?

What would generally think about getting a used 2010 (last gen. ) Outback Sport as opposed to a new impreza 5 door ?
IDK but i think the old Outback sport 5 doors just look better...or idk if things are playing tricks with my eyes...

Last edited:
I can take a few pics, sure. I just pulled the front wheels off to check out the suspension...yep, same as '08-current. Brakes should be the same pad as the '02+WRX...fairly large brakes for a small car!

First tank was 30.9mpg, mixed city/highway with a strong crosswind and lots of In the previous car, you'd be begging for those fuel mileage numbers!

I am about to drive from Houston to south Austin and back with the car loaded up (though not as much as before), we'll see what fuel mileage looks like.

The AUX jack is located in the center armrest compartment, along with an extra 12V.

CVT does make a whirring noise; it's heavily blanketed underneath with sound-suppressors but as it's chain-driven, I would expect some extra noise. Mine does not have the flappy-paddle shifting (Premium and above have that, but I am a cheapskate). Wiring and programming is still in there, I am a steering wheel away from having all that stuff in the future should I want it.

The FB20 motor is well laid out, and has the oil filter on the very top of the engine where you'd expect to find the dipstick, which has been moved to the other side of the motor.

I prefer the look of the new car in general to the older OBS, but if you can get one with the EJ25 and a 5-speed, go for it! Rare-ish combo. Otherwise, the fuel mileage in the new '12 crushes the old one by a landslide.

My 2.0i with CVT (a $1K option, I prefer the manual but beggars can't be choosers) ended up being $18,749.

Thanks for the info - wifey will only drive an auto, btw. so in either case, manual is not an option...

She treats her cars completely as an A to B appliance, and she will actually welcome the AUX jack (Elantra didn't have one), CD player and the cruise control (Elantra doesn't have that either)...
However the Elantra does have heated mirrors which she loves....I hope one can get the Subie with that option...

Although the Sub is not a luxury car at all, wifey will feel 'pampered' coming from the base Elantra I think

The AWD and added MPG just adds to the whole packet...I think she will be happy with one...IF she lets go of the 185k mile Elantra (or IF something happens to it...)

I gotta ask, why did you trade in your WRX so soon?

The WRX got 18-19mpg city, and 24-28mpg highway. Fuel down here is approaching $4/gal and will likely be a dollar higher than that in the very near future.

I was also laid off in November, and decided to start my own business. It made financial sense to get a cheaper car with lower operating costs. I can get almost 500 miles to the tank in the Impreza, and fuel is much cheaper. I save about $2,000/yr between the difference in payments, insurance, and fuel...that's $2K less I have to make.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
The old gen Legacy 2.5 GT is such a classy looking car...
The new / current one with its weird headlights look clownish.

I agree. I think the new look fits the Outback, but IMO the last gen Legacy looked better than the current one.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
who cares.

If I'm going to be looking at the darn thing every time I walk up to it, I sure do care. With so many cars out there, why settle for the ugly one?

The WRX got 18-19mpg city, and 24-28mpg highway. Fuel down here is approaching $4/gal and will likely be a dollar higher than that in the very near future.

I was also laid off in November, and decided to start my own business. It made financial sense to get a cheaper car with lower operating costs. I can get almost 500 miles to the tank in the Impreza, and fuel is much cheaper. I save about $2,000/yr between the difference in payments, insurance, and fuel...that's $2K less I have to make.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Makes sense. Sorry to hear about the lay-off but I wish you the best of luck on your new venture! 500 miles to the tank is awesome -- costs aside, 400+ mile range is what I miss the most since getting my WRX.

Looking forward to the pictures!

I test drove on today. It was a hatchback sport premium with a 5spd. One of the nicest shifting manuals I have ever driven. The clutch was light and had great engagement. The 2.0 could use some more power but did pretty good at higher rpm. The only complaint I had with this car was the lack of low end power. After I test drove this I drove a VW Golf TDI. My ideal car would be the VX crosstek with a stick and diesel. Please Subaru bring the diesel to the U.S.!!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I test drove on today. It was a hatchback sport premium with a 5spd. One of the nicest shifting manuals I have ever driven.

Good to know.

They can have the tendency to shift a little truck-like, given the north/south powertrain layout, like a RWD vehicle, with the shifter coming right out of the trans as opposed to linkages and cables on a FWD layout.

I don't think they've ever been known for low-end grunt, nor do they do/sound so well at high RPMs. Everything in between is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back