2012?Nissan Rogue; fix or no?

My in-laws have a 2012 Nissan Rogue AWD. It has 104k miles and runs great. The CVT transmission is out of it. They will give it to my son for a college car. It will cost around $5k for a remanufactured transmission (+ installation). Wondering if it is worth repairing?

Where are you getting the CVT replaced for so much? Seems like an independent shop would be able to change it for a bit less. Either way - $5k isn't that bad if it's a free 10 year old vehicle with 100K miles. In today's market. Also, the trans is the only thing that's going to go bad. So put a new one in and have him drive it for another 10 years and 100K miles.

I believe it might have to be brought to the dealer so they can program it in - otherwise it may not work.

Normally, I'd be with the heck no crowd.
However, given the market, IF he needed a car right away, and IF the car was otherwise clean, rust free, and in good repair, it MIGHT be worth putting a transmission in it.
However, for that kind of money, it better have a good warranty on it.
I'd also shop around for pricing (as well as other vehicular options) before making a decision.

Do reman cvt’s hold up? I mean, sometimes remans aren’t all that great, while some are easily rebuilt and a quality result can occur.

I’m also in the “normally I’d say no, but in today’s market…” crowd. As above, check underneath for rust that would make such an investment not worth the price. I’m actually thinking it would be more than $5k for a transmission replacement. I was looking at replacement units for a friend’s Altima, and just the unit itself was well over $4k. If it will be a lot over $5k, I’d say nah. If 5 or under, yes, but make sure to change the fluid every 30k.

I looked this up on-line and a CVT is no longer available from Nissan. I did find a remanufactured component that was listed for $2276.50 (plus the $800 core). Based on this tidbit of info and if it were me I'd definitely take the vehicle for free.

* listed on-line from Nissanpartsdeal and part number 31020-3UX3B

My in-laws have a 2012 Nissan Rogue AWD. It has 104k miles and runs great. The CVT transmission is out of it. They will give it to my son for a college car. It will cost around $5k for a remanufactured transmission (+ installation). Wondering if it is worth repairing?
In today's car market, if that's all it needs to get it going and keep it going, that's quite the deal.

Looks like retail on a remanufactured CVT from Nissan is ~$2700 after the $800 core is returned. Figure on a grand or two for labor and incidentals from a shop, so ~$5K doesn't sound out of line. Here's the trans: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/REMAN...67/3102M-3UX3DRE.html?clickSource=relatedCart

Here's one for ~$2100: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...ed-trans-axle-assembly-automatic-3102m3ux3dre

Last edited:
Can you buy your son a 10 year old car with 100k miles for $5000 ? In today's market, it could be tricky. If he "needs" a vehicle, this might be a good option.

What is the value of the car and how was it maintained? For $5,000.00 will it last five more years of use ? [for example would be a good deal.]

Some of the early Rogues have a recall on the CVT. I do not know the age or mileage parameters but I do know Nissan was replacing them with a reman Nissan CVT, they do not rebuild the bad one. They have to send the entire bad one back to Nissan. Not saying yours is included in or is eligible for the recall but it could be worth a phone call to a Nissan dealer, let them run the VIN to find out.

I feel like some people aren't reading OP's post of $5k PLUS INSTALLATION. This means installation is not included in the $5k figure. I agree this seems high.

If you research the Nissan 2.5 it's not as bulletproof as some would say.

I've driven a '14 Rogue Select (thus the old body style) and my god it's like they were TRYING to transmit road noise into the cabin. Definitely an econo box cute ute.

That said, so long as you realize what you're getting the deal doesn't seem terrible given the stupidity of the current market

I feel like some people aren't reading OP's post of $5k PLUS INSTALLATION. This means installation is not included in the $5k figure. I agree this seems high.

I did miss that. $5k + installation is way too high...just like the rent.

Reactions: JTK
$5k would be the approximate cost with installation. My in-laws purchased the vehicle with about 30k on the odometer. It is a VERY clean car, looks and runs great, except the bad tranny.

That would be a great car at $5k. No brainer.

If you research the Nissan 2.5 it's not as bulletproof as some would say.

I've driven a '14 Rogue Select (thus the old body style) and my god it's like they were TRYING to transmit road noise into the cabin. Definitely an econo box cute ute.

That said, so long as you realize what you're getting the deal doesn't seem terrible given the stupidity of the current market
A 2012 2.5 is a very safe bet. 250k+ is no problem with good maintenance.

Back