2012 Mazda 2 Thousand mile review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What does it get at 55mph? That will be closer to the speed EPA tested it at rather than 80 mph.

A 55 mph cruise is loosely what the "old" EPA ratings were based upon (applied to 2007 models and prior), and this is why the EPA received many complaints about its testing protocol: it wasn't realistic for real world driving. People couldn't achieve the ratings because they WERE driving 80 mph rather than 55 mph. The "new" EPA ratings (applied to 2008 models and later) reflect much higher rates of acceleration and higher speeds, and are supposed to more closely resemble the duty cycle on modern roads and in high speed traffic.

While 80 mph is a little fast, it's closer to representing how the EPA economy number that is on the car was achieved than a 55 mph cruise would be.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml detailed comparison shows that while they do have a brisk acceleration and a top speed of 80mph, the average speed for the high speed portion and the normal highway is just over 48mph. The "updated" figures now account for A/C, more faster stop & go, and more cold outside temperatures (they use colder starts to simulate)

I wouldn't get too worked up over a fuel economy reading from a single trip. At 80 mph, my car will do 25 to 35 mpg, depending on the wind.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
We're talking about a fully loaded car with passengers, and a full trunk of luggage. Zipping at 80 mph! And managing to get 30 mpg! I think its time get realistic with the mpg expectations at that speed.
At 65 it would have easily done close to 40 mpg.

Your correct!
Shame on me. I didn't mean any disrespect to your M2. I like'em along with the Ford Fiesta. I have always loved little run-a-bouts and have had several in years past. I was just expecting better MPG.

I completely missed the whole manner in which you described the rest of the M2's driving dynamics. And this driving pleasure is only one of the experiences that I have loved about "run-a-bouts". They make praticle sence and cost little to own.

Best of luck with your new purchace and I am sure that the MPG will be exactly what you expect as time goes on.

Keep something else in mind here: this is a fairly 'young' engine - it may get better as it loosens up a bit.

I bought a new 2008 Yaris after gas spiked over $4.00 that year. The car was dead reliable and would hit 40 mpg when driven 65 mph or less. Problem was the awful numb steering and hammock seats. It wasn't the car for my long distance work drives (35,000+ per year). Several hours in that car were murder...shorter drives were fine. My current drives are a little larger and more comfortable but won't come close to the mileage of the Yaris. I've always enjoyed my small cars. In addition to the Yaris I've owned 2 Rabbits (both new), a 1983 Renault LeCar (remember those?...also new...cheapest new car I could get at the time and they were almost giving them away the last model year), a 1991 Festiva (used)a 1994 Aspire (used and not as good as the Festiva)and a 1998 Sentra (used...great car but thin sheet metal that dented almost as easily as the Festiva and Aspire)and they are the sure ticket for urban, short-distance driving by virtue of their economy, maneuverability, etc. Granted, subcompacts have come a long way and have a lot more creature comforts and sophistication than those from the 80's and 90's but you drive what fits your needs. The Mazda 2 has gotten great reviews for it's sheer fun-to-drive qualities and will probably be dead reliable...plus you get a lot for the money. There are other cars in the segment that may get better mileage, have more room, etc. but may not be as satisfying to own.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bustednutz
With the wife, myself, the 12 year old, and a trunk stuffed with luggage, I managed to pull off 30MPG at 70-80 mph, on a motor with less then 1000k on it. I'll expect a little more once its broken in.

That's somewhat disappointing, regardless if broken in or not. What are the RPMs at around 75 mph?

FYI, my old E39 will get 30 mpg at 75 mph hwy cruising, fully loaded.

Quote:

But as with my other 2 Mazdas, the fuel gauge always tells you lies when it is "allegedly" low on fuel.

That's probably true for most cars. Even when the gauge is at "empty" (be it analog or digital) you still have some buffer left.

I/V6 motors typically do far better at upper speeds and loaded vs a strained tiny 4 cylinder motor winding out. I found this true in BMW I-6 and Honda/Acura V6.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A 6 speed Vette will break 30 MPG on the highway.

Even my automatic Corvette with the optional 3.15 gearing (standard rear axle is 2.73 on the autos) can knock down 31 MPG at a steady 60 mph highway run. I bet I could get 33 to 34 with a 6 speed manual (or with an auto and 2.73s)

I was remembering my old '88 Honda Accord w/carb & 4spd auto and traveling @ 80+ mph(often cruising @ 90mph for ~80-100 miles at a time) with a full load in the trunk and 4 adults while achieving 37-38 MPG from NY-FL both directions and the engine had only 2K miles on it! And this car wasn't a speed demon by any streach of the imagination but, cruised very well at high speeds!

Even traveling through the mountains of PA down into the Virginia's & Calolina's the MPG only dropped to 34-35 mpg. The tranny sure got a workout!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back