2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Problem With Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just leased another Hyundai Santa Fe se v6 red this time..
I have three in my family i like this suv a lot but today someone stopped me and he said my rear wheels were bowing out and when i looked the left wheel was really out... This guy said he has the same problem with his and sees many other ones with this problem.. When i got home i noticed one of my other ones had the same issues also an all wheel drive but the front wheel drive ones did not have that problem. Does anyone else see their rear wheels bowing out? I can overlook most things because it is a lease and will be going back but this seems like it can be a safety issue.. I had Hyundai's for about 5 years now and like them. My wife drives a 2011 Cadillac and i also have a 1995 seville that runs and looks new. I get good lease deals on hyundais that is why i lease them..

Did you have a lot of weight in the vehicle? The rears will squat like this /---\ when loaded. It's the geometry of independent rear suspensions.

OTOH, I don't think I ever put enough of a load in my 2008 Santa Fe AWD to ever notice.

Joel

no the car was empty and the rear wheels are very out of line
as for the stealer lying to me im ready for that..
Lemon law treats the public well and its cool too you get a brand new car out of it for free,,,lol

A dealer will NEVER resist doing warranty work that they can do.
Dealerships get paid for warranty work by the manufacturer.
The only time a dealership declines any warranty work is when it is a failure that is not covered under the warranty contract that every customer receives in their paperwork at the time of purchase.
On a Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, alignment pays the dealer 1.1 hrs labor.

i hear by many techs at dealerships that they prefer the non warranty work because the work under warranty does not pay enough and they only give a minimal amount of time to do the work. The other problem is finding a dealer that actually knows what they are doing here in NJ.
I will see tomorrow i have to pick up parts at a hyundai dealer tomorrow anyway

Originally Posted By: salv
The only time a dealership declines any warranty work is when it is a failure that is not covered under the warranty contract that every customer receives in their paperwork at the time of purchase.

You missed a lot of details. Dealers have to justify every penny of warranty repairs. They must ship bad parts and/or hold them for an inspection. WW is often denied because a T wasn't crossed or an I wasn't dotted. MFGRs also pay severely less than they used to.

And Stealerships HAVE denied warranted services. I know because it was me! A long and hard fight ensued.

So it's not quite that simple.

To the OP-

Have you poked around on any Hyundai specific forums? You might find some answers there. I've read threads on Hyundai-Forums about new Sonatas having a problem with the factory alignment.

And as was just pointed out - dealers generally get less money for warranty work than normal paid work. So, they're not always too keen on doing lots of warranty repairs.

Last edited:
What exactly is wrong with the alignment? We have "bowing out" and "very out of line". Is it camber or toe that you're seeing a problem with? Either way, the dealer should be able to address it; but as with any alignment job, I recommend specifically requesting the printout from the alignment machine's software. They can always print out a page that shows the before and after numbers. You can see what it was before they changed anything, and what it is now that they've adjusted it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You missed a lot of details. Dealers have to justify every penny of warranty repairs....

Exactly.

Based on the conversations I've had with dealer service people, more often than not they're a loosing proposition for them. For instance, they'll get paid for 1.5hrs when the job actually took them 2-3x that to complete. Big dealerships will often just eat the cost and do it themselves. Thing is- You know they're going to make up that loss somewhere- or should I say on someone else.

Joel

Ever seen a honda pilot with a baby in the back? /----\ doesn't even begin to describe it.

I was passed by one a few weeks ago, presumably, it was going on vacation. There wasn't ANY of the tread touching the road, it was riding on the sidewalls.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I just leased another Hyundai Santa Fe se v6 red this time..
I have three in my family i like this suv a lot but today someone stopped me and he said my rear wheels were bowing out and when i looked the left wheel was really out... This guy said he has the same problem with his and sees many other ones with this problem.. When i got home i noticed one of my other ones had the same issues also an all wheel drive but the front wheel drive ones did not have that problem. Does anyone else see their rear wheels bowing out? I can overlook most things because it is a lease and will be going back but this seems like it can be a safety issue.. I had Hyundai's for about 5 years now and like them. My wife drives a 2011 Cadillac and i also have a 1995 seville that runs and looks new. I get good lease deals on hyundais that is why i lease them..

Wow you took delivery and didn't notice this on the pre- inspection?

As a guy that performs alignments for a living I can tell you that there are loads of newer SUVs with negative rear camber.
I believe its there so they can get their SUV to pass the "moose' test!
Just bring it to any alignment shop if the dealer won't help. be prepared to hear that this is normal because it usually is now a days.

Warranty labor time paid is generally 7/10ths of what non warranty labor times are.

My wife drives a 2011 Santa Fe Limited V6 and the rear alignments are known to be out of align. The tires will wear very fast on the inside tread of the rear tires... This is known at the Hyundai forum and has been discussed. Have it aligned by the dealer under your warranty.

Last edited:
i dont know of any hyundai forums can you guide me to some? thank you.
I am also having a problem when the car is warm and it sits for 20 or so minutes the oil light takes a long time to go out...Personally i dont care about that because it is leased and will be going back.. The alignment is another thing that is a safety issue

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: salv

Right again, Steve!

For the OP, how about a home DIY check of the setttings before going further? Tape measure for toe checks, and mayb e a Sears/Craftsman level with a gauge instead of a bubble?
A gravity one is cheap.
See where you are at.

You missed a lot of details. Dealers have to justify every penny of warranty repairs. They must ship bad parts and/or hold them for an inspection. WW is often denied because a T wasn't crossed or an I wasn't dotted. MFGRs also pay severely less than they used to.

And Stealerships HAVE denied warranted services. I know because it was me! A long and hard fight ensued.

So it's not quite that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back