2012 Honda Civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

My brother-in-law is in the market for a new vehicle to replace his 2000 Subaru Legacy w/ 160Kmi.

I went with him to test-drive a new base model Civic LX 4dr auto yesterday. Nice car. Roomy, well put together interior. MPG specs seem pretty tough to beat. With three of us in it, it moved along just fine. It's got lots of electronic gizmos on the dash.

The wheeling-dealing went typical Honda style. They absolutely won't budge off of the MSRP of $19425. It's pay it or walk. Man that just seems crazy for Civic for cryin' out loud. After about an hour of pain and anguish from the old-school doofus of a Salesman, we walked because of their all to generous $1200 trade 'allowance' for his Soob. He's from the Louisville area and his Subaru is spotless aside from the mileage and a slight oil leak. They were going to come up some in an attempt to get his pymts to $299/mo for 60mo. We bailed so he could sleep on it.

Any word on this 9th gen Civic? I read some online stuff about it. I know Hondas aren't what they used to be, but 4yr old ones still sell for $17K!?!?

Joel

Last edited:
You're among the first who hasn't had something negative to say about the interior. I've sat in them and frankly don't think they're as bad as some make them out to be, but will agree that they're not as good as they used to be.

Look at a different dealer if they won't come off MSRP, or at least see if they have attractive financing deals, like 0.9% or even 0%. I guess it depends on how hard it is for them to sell a Civic today. This dealer must not be hungry right now.

Try some other Honda dealers in the area to compare. Honda's typically are more expensive than other comperable makes. Has your brother-in-law considered a Toyota Corolla? They are equally as good of a vehicle and cost less too.

Joel, i have a 2007 8th gen Civic EX auto and it is an amazing car for the money (i paid almost 20k for it, the top of the line Civic)

I personally hate the styling of the 9th gens but if it floats your boat, go for it. Like you said, it loaded with all kinds of electronic gizmos, hence the price.

As you said, they retain their value VERY well because of our [censored] economy so i expect it to last a while and still sell for a decent price when you're done with it.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I'd look at a Focus. It beats Civic in nearly everything.

Including looks
thumbsup2.gif
To me, the New civic kind of just looks like an appliance.

New Foci and Corolli are selling @ slightly ABOVE MSRP in my area. Insane I tells ya, as are used prices.

Joel

Excellent move by you guys! If they don't want to budge then they lose business...PERIOD. I am glad you didn't cave, there are a lot of great cars out, just be patient and look around for other vehicles in its class. Cars Direct is a great place to look.

That takes some real sac by Honda to be like that. My 2010 Civic is an engine with seats basically. The interior is so cheaply made. I am sure it is a great engine but I made a mistake buying that car.

Resale on a Civic will be substantially more than a Focus hands down. However, a dealer not willing to deal is high on crack...

I guess he really wanted that Civic. He went back this afternoon and bought it. $310/mo for 60mo @ 1.9%, plus his Subaru as trade. He paid sticker for the darn thing. Hopefully he'll be happy with it.

Joel

Check out the cruze, and the focus. The new Civic is lackluster, and I kind of liked the last generation. The new civic is de-contented, the interior is cheap, and there isn't anything really that sets it apart from the pack.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Ouch! I guess he did want it. Sticker? Both of our cars were purchased for well below sticker price.

We got great deals on our cars because of our trades and stuff. They ended up giving us 5k more for our trades than they wanted to. They bought my focus for 16,500, with 19k miles on it. The expedition went for $9k, the mustang for 15k, and the jeep for 3k.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Ouch! I guess he did want it. Sticker? Both of our cars were purchased for well below sticker price.

We got great deals on our cars because of our trades and stuff. They ended up giving us 5k more for our trades than they wanted to. They bought my focus for 16,500, with 19k miles on it. The expedition went for $9k, the mustang for 15k, and the jeep for 3k.

Well, I meant the two cars in my signature. Even our Honda we got for below sticker. Late month sales work wonders.

We for the Cruzes, yes, the trades did make decent deals just that much better.

Last edited:
None of the 3 Honda dealers in my area would budge off of MSRP for a base model 2012 Civic LX. If you bumped up a level or three, you could haggle a bit. If you bought any of their used vehicles, you could haggle.

They also pushed the CR-V's quite heavily, but that would have run my BIL another $80-100 per month payment wise. They were another ~$4K more. All of them were AWD, which he really doesn't need living in KY anyway.

I wish I could have been with him yesterday when he signed. He only got ~$1600 trade allowance for his Subaru.

He's there picking up his new crystal black pearl Civic LX 4dr AT, as we speak.

They're setting him up with temporary tags and insurance ID for his ride home to KY. He has to pay 6% KY sales tax on ~$17825 (MSRP - trade) when he gets home.

I was disappointed in the treatment of the rear wheel opening on the new civics, the lip folds under then around underneath the wheel opening, effectively trapping any salt and mud in the lip so it cannot get washed out, with his New York state winters that may be a problem area down the road. The new Golf and Elantra have a straight down weld, like the new Camaro, no way those quarter panels are ever rusting out on these newer designs, a little sad that Honda would not lead the way, but I guess they want to sell you a new one down the road when it rusts.

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
I was disappointed in the treatment of the rear wheel opening on the new civics, the lip folds under then around underneath the wheel opening, effectively trapping any salt and mud in the lip so it cannot get washed out, with his New York state winters that may be a problem area down the road. The new Golf and Elantra have a straight down weld, like the new Camaro, no way those quarter panels are ever rusting out on these newer designs, a little sad that Honda would not lead the way, but I guess they want to sell you a new one down the road when it rusts.

Buying a brand new car.....and then driving it in salt (an extreme corrosive) just seems kind of strange to me. I don't see any car maker being able to 100% prevent salt from ruining a car....nor should they be expected to turn over every lip or fold to prevent salt corrosion. Between the U.S. and Canada what percentage of car buyers actually live in salted areas? I've been back east many times and just don't know why more outrage isn't expressed that alternatives (cost effective) to corrosives like salt have not been fully explored. It destroys cars....plain and simple. And who pays the cost? The consumer/taxpayer. You pay for a new car every few years from rusting out.....and you pay for the salt to be put on the roads to destroy your cars. Odd cycle of acceptance if you ask me. I would only drive a junker during the winters back there and not even consider thrashing my nice one in that salt.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Buying a brand new car.....and then driving it in salt (an extreme corrosive) just seems kind of strange to me. I don't see any car maker being able to 100% prevent salt from ruining a car....nor should they be expected to turn over every lip or fold to prevent salt corrosion. Between the U.S. and Canada what percentage of car buyers actually live in salted areas? I've been back east many times and just don't know why more outrage isn't expressed that alternatives (cost effective) to corrosives like salt have not been fully explored. It destroys cars....plain and simple. And who pays the cost? The consumer/taxpayer. You pay for a new car every few years from rusting out.....and you pay for the salt to be put on the roads to destroy your cars. Odd cycle of acceptance if you ask me. I would only drive a junker during the winters back there and not even consider thrashing my nice one in that salt.

Some of us trade in old cars for new ones to use as daily drivers, and thus must be driven in the winter. For what it's worth, my 97 cavalier had 140k on it, and it lived in upper ohio for most of it's life. And there was not any rust on it, anywhere when I had to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I was disappointed in the treatment of the rear wheel opening on the new civics, the lip folds under then around underneath the wheel opening, effectively trapping any salt and mud in the lip so it cannot get washed out,
8th gens have that too. It is a ridiculous design flaw. Mine is loaded with stones and gravel from regular driving. Even worse, I live in a salt state too
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back