2012 Honda Accord LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter has 2012 Accord LX with 175000 miles on it 2.4 with auto. Wife and I bought it new and let her have it with 80,000 on it. I have done all maintenance on it, brakes, plugs, filters, oil changes, etc. The car fires right up and sounds good, no rattles or strange noises, every thing works, never in any accidents. It has an annoying tendency to wear out the rear brake pads but that's a 30 minute fix. It has just been an amazing car to me, wife has a 17 V6 and other than being faster, not a lot of difference. We thought why not sell it and get a newer one, Carvana offered $2,300 for it, but I figure I could sell it for around $4,000. I think for no more money than the car will bring, she should just keep on driving it. Who knows it might go another 100,000 miles. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
"Not a lot of difference" but willing to pay "a lot" to upgrade? I'd keep the old car and save the money.
wink.gif

Anyhow. You've got one (low) offer. Have you scanned CL and got a feel for what is asking price for similar Accords in your area? Take aggregate and knock 10% or so off; is that around your idea of $4k?

If serious, have you gone and talked a dealer or two? Usually dealer is worst case for trade-in, but they do make it easier than dealing with CL buyers--if you're not routinely on CL (or similar) then it might be more work than you are willing to deal with.

I would keep it and use it. the car is only 8 years old; and your continued driving will not drop the value much. it should be capable of another 100k

I'll give my .02.
As you can see, I have the same car. I purchased mine new, and it has over 100K on it.
It has been a solid, if uninspiring car. Kind of a Japanese Impala,if you will. Prime example of Honda's cost cutting, particularly in the seats,
In 100K, besides filter changes, I have put one set of tires and brakes, and 2 batteries.
IMO, this car has probably one of the most stout drive train combinations Honda has ever marketed.
We are looking at trading a car in the next 12-18 mos. We have talked about getting rid of the van in our signature and the Accord, and replacing with one.
The Accord has been a solid enough car, that I want to keep it and continue to use it as my DD. Sounds like a no brainer to me, especially given the value of it vs. the potential additional service that could be derived from it.
I'd say keep it, and have the daughter make a "New Car" payment to a savings account, so when the Accord finally woofs, she can either make a cash purchase, or at least have a nice down stroke on its replacement.

Solid ride, but boring as mentioned. Honda made that generation bigger(it's technically a full-size), softer, and smoother...like a Camry. I had one for a bit over a year and put on 30k uneventful miles. It's the last of the port FI K24's so it will probably go forever. My mileage was mostly highway so 15%MM came at 10k miles. D&F the transmission every 50k and you don't have to think about it. I got 33.3mpg over it's time with me so nothing to complain about. Fuelly Accord I traded it for a '14 Accord Sport that went back to the more controlled driving that Accord's had been known for. My mileage did jump to 37.3 because of the DI K24 motor.

I would keep it as you don't want the first world problems of a modern TGDI with a glitchy entertainment system.

I have a 99 accord lx , still driving it and probably will till the junk man doesn't want it..the car has been relatively problem free other than fluid changes etc. after 21 years on the road it does have a few battle minor scars I have seen many Hondas go well over 200 K even some hitting 300 K a good friend had a civic that almost made 350K till the car just rusted away on him...my local CL has that year accord going from $3000 to $6000 with that kind of miles

Keep driving it. Those accords go to 300k easy. Especially if you are able to fix little things that go wrong it doesn't make sense to spend the money to upgrade. Only being 8 years old helps too as time wears stuff out also.

That 2012 with the K24 is way more reliable than the cheap junk Honda is selling now. I have a 2005 Accord with 193k miles and it is a solid car. Just as quiet and nice driving as a new one. Just with less good looks.

I'd set a goal of 250k miles. If it goes that far, consider it good run and look into replacing.

Tbdo and I bought our '12 Accords at about the same time and paid about the same steal money.
Wife and I drove the car for 96K and I gave it to older son when we bought the Hybrid.
Car is now at 120K or so and has needed only brakes at both ends, a set of tires and a battery.
Overall, a very reliable and durable car if uninspiring to drive. Fuel economy is also pretty good and the large fuel capacity is always nice to have.
Decently powerful as well if you put your foot down and make it run to redline through the gears.
Plenty of interior and trunk space, enough for a weekend trip with four adults and an infant in car seat, which we did a few years back.
Not a Honda you'd remember for its driving entertainment but a tough and well built car.
I'd keep your daughter in the Accord until it dies, which may be another 100K.

This is the problem with Accords and Camry, they just last too long. You can never say "its worn out lets buy a new car."

I believe you can eek out a lot more miles on that car but selling before 200k is a lot more attractive than after 200k.

That 2012 model is well known for reliability and endurance; you'll put 100k more easily; I'd keep it

Last May, I sold my 2009 Honda Accord LX, K24 with a 5-speed with 155k miles for $4,300.

It had an aftermarket remote starter, fog lights, aftermarket exhaust, tuned, intake, etc.

If you are willing to turn wrenches on it definitely keep it, but otherwise this will be a time to start selling.

The Honda / Toyota I had tends to start having minor things wear out by this time, it is still cheaper to keep but then again if you need absolutely nothing failing it is not going to happen. The list of repairs I have done since 175 to about 270 is:

1) radiator
2) ignition coil
3) struts
4) timing belt
5) water pump
6) starter
7) engine mount
8) oil pan gasket
9) valve cover gasket
10) oxygen sensor
11) axles / CV
12) brakes
13) AC
14) thermostat

Most of them are wear item and therefore not really that big of a deal, but it does cost money and downtime.

Originally Posted by odotb
It has an annoying tendency to wear out the rear brake pads but that's a 30 minute fix.

Confirm the slide pin(s) with the flats are in the correct position. They go in the bottom or lower position.

Why are you thinking of selling it ? Because of the mileage ? You say it's "an amazing car".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back