2012 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6 P0300

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6 VIN 5 (flex fuel)
Throwing a P0300 code about once/week. New spark plugs do not fix the issue which is not surprising since it was a multiple misfire code. Coils look good. Anyway, I would expect a P0301, etc. if a particular cylinder had an issue but this is the general misfire code.

Thoughts?

Spark plugs were common for causing this, but fuel delivery issues can also cause this code to pop on Terrains. If your under 120k miles, check with your dealer. GM Special Order #10250 covers this code up until 10 years/120k miles, if I'm not mistaken.

GM does not support individual/specific cylinder misfire DTC's on their gasoline engines, You need to monitor Misfire Data via a scan tool to identify the cylinder/s that are misfiring.

Doesn't matter if One or Multiple cylinders are misfiring.......P0300 will be the only DTC. The Generic Descriptor is misleading!

Originally Posted by JustN89
Spark plugs were common for causing this, but fuel delivery issues can also cause this code to pop on Terrains. If your under 120k miles, check with your dealer. GM Special Order #10250 covers this code up until 10 years/120k miles, if I'm not mistaken.

GM Special Order #10250 was for replacing spark plug wires it appears. This engine does not have wires but rather coil on plug. Also, it has ~206k miles. Thanks for the mention though.

Originally Posted by JustN89

I found service bulletin 03-06-04-030F Various Driveability ..., P0172, P0300, P1174, P1175 2007-Dec-10. Of course, this is a flex fuel vehicle with direct injection.

I also need to look at the fuel filter perhaps. It doesn't appear to have a serviceable one though.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
GM does not support individual/specific cylinder misfire DTC's on their gasoline engines, You need to monitor Misfire Data via a scan tool to identify the cylinder/s that are misfiring.

Doesn't matter if One or Multiple cylinders are misfiring.......P0300 will be the only DTC. The Generic Descriptor is misleading!

NOT TRUE! They do use codes P0301,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

GM does not, Respectfully........As you work at Arlington Assembly IIRC?

I have thousands of GM gasoline calibration files, Not one of them supports P0301 through P0308 in the Master DTC list, Nor have I ever seen a GM gas vehicle set a specific cylinder misfire code.
Because the PCM/ECM doesn't need to.....GM has one of the best live Misfire Monitors in the industry!

The Duramax on the other hand which used a Bosch Controller up until the LP5 CAN set specific cylinder misfire codes, Haven't cracked a LP5 yet.

What?
shocked2.gif

I thought the P0xxx codes were supposed to be universal, not mfr-specific

GM has one of the best live Misfire Monitors in the industry!

not if it can't set a misfire code for a single cylinder
smirk2.gif

A good misfire monitor should be able to see only one cylinder misfiring and set the code for that cylinder only!

GM supports these codes. Period. I've seen it on them including my own vechicles and have seen it at work on brand new 2020 models. These are generic codes required by governement OBD2 requirements. The GM DTC charts shows them too.

I have thousands of GM gasoline calibration files, Not one of them supports P0301 through P0308 in the Master DTC list, Nor have I ever seen a GM gas vehicle set a specific cylinder misfire code.
Because the PCM/ECM doesn't need to.....GM has one of the best live Misfire Monitors in the industry!

The Duramax on the other hand which used a Bosch Controller up until the LP5 CAN set specific cylinder misfire codes, Haven't cracked a LP5 yet.

All due respect my friend but GM supports these codes. Period. I've seen it on them including my own vechicles and have seen it at work on brand new 2020 models. Just saw an Equinox with the code P0303 last month. These are generic codes required by governement OBD2 requirements. The GM DTC charts shows them too.

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot of the GM DTC list showing P0301-P0308

*** I CANNOT UPLOAD IT TO HERE FOR SOME REASON - how do I?

Last edited:
GM supports these codes. Period. I've seen it on them including my own vechicles and have seen it at work on brand new 2020 models. These are generic codes required by governement OBD2 requirements. The GM DTC charts shows them too.

All due respect my friend but GM supports these codes. Period. I've seen it on them including my own vechicles and have seen it at work on brand new 2020 models. Just saw an Equinox with the code P0303 last month. These are generic codes required by governement OBD2 requirements. The GM DTC charts shows them too.

I'm fully capable of being wrong, If GM has implemented specific cylinder misfire DTC's in the last few years....Okay!

Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, & Honda set specific cylinder misfire DTC's which is a VERY unreliable diagnostic tool because of sympathy misfires among companion cylinders. GM sets a P0300 & you know to use the Misfire Monitor for diagnostics.

The vehicle was also low on transmission fluid probably 1-1.5qts. I drained the fluid, fixed the leak (transmission line connector at the radiator), and refilled with 5qts. The service StabiliTrak warning came on, & it was running very rough & set the P0300 code. I added another 1.5 qts (6.5qt total) to bring the level to the fill line on the dipstick. It runs much better, warning light went off, reset the engine code, & it hasn't returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back