2012 Ford Fusion Sport AWD PTU&Rear Diff UOA 44K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in early 2012 I purchased a 2012 Ford Fusion Sport AWD and did quite a bit of research regarding the PTU (transfer case) and the rear differential on this vehicle. I found out that per Ford’s recommendation in the service manual that the PTU and Rear Differential fluid were not to be changed unless #1 the units were submerged in water or #2 the units failed and needed to be replaced. There is no normal or severe service interval on these units and any Ford dealership you talk to about changing these fluids looks at you like you’re a drooling moron with three heads. So I found out that I was on my own and thought I would document my findings. None of these fluids have been previously service and I am the first owner of the car. It had 44,400 miles on the odometer when I changed the fluids. Here you go.

PTU\Transfer Case:
This unit is attached to the transmission and essentially is more of an angle gear, providing something for the driveshaft to attach to. This isn’t your typical truck\suv style t-case that you can enable\disable and change from Hi to Low operation. It’s one speed and always under load since the front wheel attaches to the unit too. Per Ford spec the PTU takes .4 quarts of 75W140 Synthetic Gear oil, the exact same stuff that is specified in many truck differentials. I chose to replace the old fluid with 75W140 Amsoil Severe Gear. Also worth noting is that this same unit is also used in the non-sport fusions as well as smaller SUV’s.

Here is a picture of the fill plug:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39579852@N06/11999136996/
**Note the quarter inch worth of metallic material still on the magnetic plug after wiping it**

Here is a picture of the before and after fluid:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39579852@N06/11998618093/

Here is a picture of the Blackstone UOA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39579852@N06/12102229586/

Code:

Comments:This first sample from your Fusion's transfer case had a lot of metal and silicon, but that's (mostly) typical

with the factory fill. We say mostly because this is a lot of metal, even for a new transfer case. Metals are from new parts

wearing in and silicon is from the harmless sealers. Everything should wash out as you continue to change the oil and

look more like our universal averages. They show typical wear for a Ford transfer case after about 40,000 miles on the

oil. The TAN was low at 1.6, showing no excess acidity. Check back in 20,000 miles without draining.

OIL Factory Fill 75W140 PTU

MILES IN USE 44,400

MILES 44,400

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/17/14

ALUMINUM 425

CHROMIUM 5

IRON 445

COPPER 18

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 3

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 3

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 4

BORON 51

SILICON 471

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 3

MAGNESIUM 5

PHOSPHORUS 461

ZINC 8

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 104.3

cSt @ 100ºC 21.36

FLASHPOINT ºF 415

FUEL% -

ANTIFREEZE% -

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.6

TAN 1.6

Rear Differential:
I think most of us know the purpose of a rear differential (transfer power to the rear wheels). However it is worth noting that since this is an AWD vehicle, the rear differential is not under load 100% of the time. Per Ford’s design, the AWD is tied into the traction control system sending power to the rear wheels under hard acceleration\loss of traction. 80% of my driving is highway so although the gears are spinning, they are simply in a neutral state which puts much less stress on the differential when compared to RWD biased vehicles. This is based off of the research that I have done regarding how my particular system works. Per Ford spec, the rear diff on this car takes 1.15 quarts of 80w90 gear oil (no friction modifier specified). My research has shown that this is not a synthetic lubricant. Although a synthetic is not “required” I chose to replace it with 75W90 Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic.

Here is a picture of the before and after fluid:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39579852@N06/11998323235/

Here is a picture of the Blackstone UOA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39579852@N06/12102226186/

Code:

Comments:Calling any oil "lifetime oil" is a tough sell around our office. Oils might be able to stay in use a long time, but

eventually, the oil should be changed. This first sample from your differential looks fantastic next to universal averages.

They show typical wear after about 37,500 miles on the oil. Metals were low and don't show signs of developing

problems. The only mark was the low flashpoint, but that's not generally an issue for a differential. No water was found

and the TAN was fine at 2.5 - low acidity. Insolubles (oxidized solids) were low too. Try 55,000 miles next.

OIL Factory Fill 80W90 Rear Differential

MILES IN USE 44,400

MILES 44,400

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/17/14

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 168

COPPER 4

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 3

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 4

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 70

SILICON 93

SODIUM 21

CALCIUM 13

MAGNESIUM 4

PHOSPHORUS 1087

ZINC 8

BARIUM 2

SUS VIS 210ºF 72.4

cSt @ 100ºC 13.58

FLASHPOINT ºF 375

FUEL% -

ANTIFREEZE% -

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

TAN 2.5

Sounds very similar to the AWD system on our two cars, especially our Acura. The PTO is simply a 1:1 hypoid gear that turns the output from the transaxle 90 degrees. The propeller shaft spins at the same speed as the transaxle. The rear differential will "clutch" torque from the spinning propeller shaft either reactively (as in our Honda) or proactively (as in our Acura). As designed and intended, these types of systems work quite well.

Thank you, also, for the UOAs. Interesting the difference in wear between the two.

The PTU just attaches to the transmission where the axle shaft would on a FWD model, right?

That fluid is nasty! How hard was it to drain and refill the PTU?

I'm going to have to do this on my parents' Focuscape. Same PTU and rear differential as your fusion.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Sounds very similar to the AWD system on our two cars, especially our Acura. The PTO is simply a 1:1 hypoid gear that turns the output from the transaxle 90 degrees. The propeller shaft spins at the same speed as the transaxle. The rear differential will "clutch" torque from the spinning propeller shaft either reactively (as in our Honda) or proactively (as in our Acura). As designed and intended, these types of systems work quite well.

Thank you, also, for the UOAs. Interesting the difference in wear between the two.

Yes it does sound very similar, evidently the volvo S-series cars also use a similar 90degree angle gear. The system works well for my purposes, im just concerned with the lifetime fill designation...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The PTU just attaches to the transmission where the axle shaft would on a FWD model, right?

I'm going to have to do this on my parents' Focuscape. Same PTU and rear differential as your fusion.

You are correct regarding where the PTU attaches to the transmission. The fluid was disgusting, I was already expecting an odor, i was referring to how dirty it was... This is supposed to last 100k+?? Really?? It flowed like molasses, and that is no exaggeration. draining and refilling the PTU wasnt "difficult" but it was tedious. because of the tight spaces I couldnt fit a pump in there with large tubing. I ended up having to use a blackstone UOA pump with refridgerator tubing to slowly extract the fluid one sample bottle at a time... Refilling was easy and quick with a hand pump that screwed on the top of my amsoil bottle.

The rear differential was MUCH easier!

Originally Posted By: fusion0389

You are correct regarding where the PTU attaches to the transmission. The fluid was disgusting, I was already expecting an odor, i was referring to how dirty it was... This is supposed to last 100k+?? Really??

Yeah really.
smile.gif
The wife's 03 Escape has never had the PTU fluid touched and I believe the system is very similar to yours - Ford really has not changed the system too much over all these years. How many millions of these Ford systems are out there without issue and still running around on the original lube?

And in 11 years and 145k we have not changed the PTU or differential fluid. Works fine and has definitely gotten a workout this winter. Should she keep it through the summer (she's getting new car fever) I'll probably change it.

Last edited:
Thats great that It has lasted you that long! I can only imagine what the condition of the fluid is afer 145k when mine was so horrible at 44k... If you take pics or do a UOA I would be really curious to see what it looks like. I'm actually surprised to see that it lasted you that lon without a failure. From the reading I've done its very common for these PTU units to go out around 100k or so. You've got luck on your side
smile.gif
. See my deal is this, can it last 100k or most if conditions are right, yeah it can. But that argument is true with just about any fluid in our cars. It would have been much more responsible to include a "severe" service interval to change it every 30-40k. I think that it would prolong the life of the unit. Obviously this isn't going to matter to most folks who dont keep cars outside of the warranty..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

You are correct regarding where the PTU attaches to the transmission. The fluid was disgusting, I was already expecting an odor, i was referring to how dirty it was... This is supposed to last 100k+?? Really?? It flowed like molasses, and that is no exaggeration. draining and refilling the PTU wasnt "difficult" but it was tedious. because of the tight spaces I couldnt fit a pump in there with large tubing. I ended up having to use a blackstone UOA pump with refridgerator tubing to slowly extract the fluid one sample bottle at a time... Refilling was easy and quick with a hand pump that screwed on the top of my amsoil bottle.

The rear differential was MUCH easier!

Have you tried to change the fluid on the 6F35 yet?

My parents should be hitting 30K soon. I am pushing them, strongly, to get the transmission fluid changed ... I shold strongly push them to do the PTU fluid as well.

I am surprised that the fluid sounds that trashed. Even the PTO isn't terribly loaded. True the propeller shaft is always spinning, but it's under relatively low stress. I changed the fluid in our Acura's PTO (75W-90) for the first time with about 80k miles on it, and it actually looked pretty dadgum good. Looked like dark golden brown motor oil. The rear fluid is Honda's own swill, so it's hard to make any determination on that.

But yeah, these systems are generally under relatively low stress. They should last a long time. Sometimes they don't. I think it was dwcopple in this forum that had a PTO on his Fusion fail.

Since I have a Fusion Sport, I dont have the 6F35 in my car. My transmission is manufacturered by Aisin Model#AWF21. It is REALLY easy to drain and fill this transmission (6F35 is easy too). My transmission also has a lifetime fill desination, but i had a drain and fill done. UOA can be found Here

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I am surprised that the fluid sounds that trashed. Even the PTO isn't terribly loaded. True the propeller shaft is always spinning, but it's under relatively low stress. I changed the fluid in our Acura's PTO (75W-90) for the first time with about 80k miles on it, and it actually looked pretty dadgum good. Looked like dark golden brown motor oil. The rear fluid is Honda's own swill, so it's hard to make any determination on that.

But yeah, these systems are generally under relatively low stress. They should last a long time. Sometimes they don't. I think it was dwcopple in this forum that had a PTO on his Fusion fail.

Well to be honest I'm not surprised, there is only .4 quarts of fluid circulating in the PTU! Thats CRAZY! Its less fluid than whats in the differential. What was the capacity for 75W90 in your acura?

Transfer assembly fluid

At fluid change
0.43 L (0.45 US qt)

At overhaul
0.45 L (0.48 US qt)

Rear Differential Fluid

Capacity
Change
2.79 qts (2.64 liters)

Thats great that It has lasted you that long! I can only imagine what the condition of the fluid is afer 145k when mine was so horrible at 44k... If you take pics or do a UOA I would be really curious to see what it looks like. I'm actually surprised to see that it lasted you that lon without a failure. From the reading I've done its very common for these PTU units to go out around 100k or so. You've got luck on your side
smile.gif
. See my deal is this, can it last 100k or most if conditions are right, yeah it can. But that argument is true with just about any fluid in our cars. It would have been much more responsible to include a "severe" service interval to change it every 30-40k. I think that it would prolong the life of the unit. Obviously this isn't going to matter to most folks who dont keep cars outside of the warranty..

Yeah we're "lucky"
smile.gif
- still on the original CD4E too. Although I attribute that to 30k fluid changes. The in-law's Escape also lasted to near 150k. In that case the rest of it started going (multiple cats were needed) but the drivetrain was fine.

I just wonder if the oil will stabilize over time. Initially it picks up a lot of junk but over time that junk just stays in there. Since it's just basically a gear set I wonder if anything that remotely resembles a lube would work (like grease).

I wonder if the failures are due to the leaky seals that seem to plague Ford PTU's. They seem to hold a small amount of fluid and if it starts leaking and is unnoticed it could get low and toast it rather easily.

I'm also surprised Ford doesn't just tie them into the transmission and bathe it in ATF. At least that way it may get changed over its lifetime. Some transfer cases use ATF so there is some precedent to use that in the unit.

Should I end up changing it I'll take some pics.

It would make sense to tie it into the transmission and use ATF, i mean its literally attached directly to the transmission.. I would think that it would be a pretty simple to do so? I too have heard that the main issue leading to PTU failures are the seals. But one has to wonder why seals breakdown in the first place. I have no expert knowledge so I am open to correction, but here it how i look at it. In engine oils we have seal conditioners that keep the seals within an engine clean, by changing our engine oil on an interval we remove contaminants and replace them with clean fluid that disperses the contaminants and keeps the internals clean and conditioned. Why is this any different with transfer cases and differentials? They have seals to condition, over time the fluid becomes contaminated, acidic, losing its wear and cleaning properties. It makes sense to me that severely dirty gear oil can have a negative affect on the seals and the rest of the internals of the PTU.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I'm also surprised Ford doesn't just tie them into the transmission and bathe it in ATF. At least that way it may get changed over its lifetime. Some transfer cases use ATF so there is some precedent to use that in the unit.

This is the way our Honda CR-V is. Our Acura uses a PTO with its own 75W-90 fluid "sump", small as it may be, but our Honda's PTO is open to the transaxle and is lubricated with the same ATF that's in the transmission. There is no drain or fill plug in the PTO...it's in the transaxle only.

I had my dealer change the PTU and rear diff fluids on my 2010 Flex Ecoboost at 50000 miles, also with the same Amsoil fluids. They charged me $99 for the labor which I consider a deal as I don't have a lift. The tech said about the same thing as you discovered. The rear diff was not so bad, but the PTU was pretty nasty and even the tech said that no way was this a lifetime fluid. I plan on changing it again at 75000 and 100000 miles. I've seen pics of heavily sludged PTU's and this will never happen to mine.

I'm surprised that they agreed to do it! I went to three different dealers to ask them to do the work, I showed them schematics, and said all I wanted done was for them to pump out the old stuff and pump in the new stuff. All of the dealers came back at me with a canned "this unit is sealed for life" blah blah blah and tried hard to make me feel like an idiot for even coming in there. Whatever dealership you're using, keep them! You're very fortunate to have some decent guys who can think above and beyond the service manual.

Change that PTU fluid often with high quality synthetic. MY Escape's PTU went out at 97,000 miles. Clunk developed at 75,000.

One dealer told me it was normal at 90K. Finally completely blew out and lost 4wd at 97,000.

The amount of fluid is too low and it overheats and sludges easily.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back