2012 Ford Fusion, alternate battery?

BILs car needs a battery. Stock is 96R. These are hard to find for less than usurious prices. Wondering if anyone has a good substitute... T5 aka 42 looks about right albeit 9/16 of an inch taller. He has the V6 but per Ford all engines take the same battery this year.

Trying to avoid Exide. Walmart is not helpful, and Autozone is OOS near me. TIL!

From what I've seen, the battery makers rarely advise on or offer "alternate" sizes. Can you measure the space available ? On '13 and later Fusions, the battery tray has a movable bracket that allows longer batteries. Not sure if that year would have something similar.

If you physically look/measure, you'd be able to determine if a T5 would fit too.

I had to put one in a 2011 Fusion 2.5. I just went to W*M and paid $89 (or thereabouts) for the 96R. They stocked it in the mid-line variety (not the MAXX, and not the Value). None of the farm supply stores were any cheaper, nor any better of a deal.

This might be of help to you.

sometimes the clamp method is different.

for example a group 27f will fit my jeep tray but where the battery hold down clamps at near the base of the battery is shaped differently and it wont latch correctly.

nothing you cant fix in 2min with a file or dremel but not plug n play.

Well I went with the stock size, from NAPA. Claimed to be EP Deka. Used the SAVE30 coupon, which worked, getting it for $118.99 or so. BTW it was a "Genuine Parts Company" store EG corporate-owned. 2 year warranty, so a middle of the road battery.

NAPA used to be Exide so I was avoiding them without doing enough research.

Coupon expires tonight at midnight!

Yeah Napa went to East Penn awhile ago in my area.

That should be a good battery.

With batteries polarity is obvious biggest concern.... Second and about equally important is battery height... It can be a bit shorter than specd battery. Too tall could be a obvious bad, bad deal. But not too short.

Group 35 is specd for my car but a group 24f fits just fine. Length is a bit tight but it fits the tray.

Score!

189.99 - 30% + tax -5 napa reward (5 per 100$) = $156
for a group 94r AGM

oh and 5% back from using paypal with chase freeom card.. so about $148

Sams club is 189.99+tax
ostco isnt an AGM despite listing AGM on their website.. the in store battery is not agm.

Quite the score. My battery still starts fine but the auto start/stop stops working with battery charging after 2 days...
and this is with me disabling it so it never actually activates and uses battery.

Might have made it through the winter.. might not.. now I dont have to worry about that.

Back