2012 Ford F550 / Bad Report / 15w40 Mag1 Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Thanks to all for help and comments. Two events have shed light on the problem. One my UOA came back from Blackstone and wear metals were down but still high and fuel dilution still a problem. In the meantime the check engine light has illuminated and the truck has an injector problem and a TCM problem. It is being worked on by Ford under warranty. When I get it back I will short change the oil and see what happens. I think the injector issue was the culprit all along but just took awhile to get bad enough to trigger a code.

Keep us posted on the progress after repairs are made.
If the injector is the issue and is fixed, you should do an OCI immediately upon it's return and then get a "clean" starting point for your next UOA. That will tell you a LOT about the issue, if it confirms the root cause.

Hello all. An update on the bad oil analysis. My apologies for being away from the forum for so long. Injector replaced. The following week engine went into limp mode. Back to dealership. Needed a new DEF pump and some other emissions repairs. Truck was at 69 ish k. Not covered under warranty. Emissions have a separate warranty. $1600 later truck back to work. Mileage did not improve and neither did a UOA done at 71k---hast as bad as the first. 71.5k I get a call from my driver the motor made a funny noise and then a bang. Engine locked. I sent another wrecker to tow it back to the ford dealership. They found part of the piston in the oil pan. New long block installed under warranty. Truck now has 76k on it and just doing an early first oil change. I'm not going to spend the money on a UOA. The engine is under warranty. This truck will be sold after the end of college football season. This is now my last diesel in my fleet. I am continuing to renew my fleet with has F450-550s w the V10. I just sold (4) wreckers and replaced with them with new V10s last week. I will be all gas by the end of the year. I am planning the purchase of a f650 w the V10 as well. Diesel no longer has a place in my fleet and I suspect if most people really ran the numbers and would be brutally honest they would come to the same conclusion. Just my update. Best to all.

The failure was not oil related. I still stick to my 10k oil change interval w conventional Mag 1 fleet oil. The failure mode was difficult to get ford to comment on. I do know the engine was crated and sent to Ford. I was told by the service manager it wasn't unexpected and he wasn't surprised. They would only say piston failure. I am only doing a short oil change because the first season football game is in 2 weeks and schedule wise this allows the truck to not go past 10k miles before the end of my busy season and then I will sell the truck. So basically this is the very last oil change for the truck. I stand by my comments that has really is better for most folks compared to a diesel. To put it in perspective a whole reman V10 is $3500. For the whole darn thing. That won't buy you a turbo installed on the diesel. I also had to have 2 of the trucks I just sold.....the particulate filter baked. $2000 each. My def pump and related issues were $1600. A crate motor reman V10 $3500.

Thanks for the update.
Sorry to hear about the troubles, but seems like they at least covered it under the 100k mile warranty.

Gotta love those old reliable mod-motors. Not the most powerful of the options, but they run a long time if you just maintain them. They had their growing pains at first, but overall a very stout engine. Cost less to buy, less to maintain, and less to rebuild. Hard to beat that.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Diesel no longer has a place in my fleet and I suspect if most people really ran the numbers and would be brutally honest they would come to the same conclusion.

Have you looked at the Ram 5500? 6.4L Hemi (366 hp/429 lb-ft) and 6-speed AISIN AS66RC would make a stout combination.

I talked to an owner of a small fleet of roll back bed Tow trucks and he sold all of the new Ford diesel trucks and replaced them with gas engine trucks because the diesel engines were p.o.s. and the depreciation loss was less than the cost of the diesel problems cost.

if you have a caterpillar dealer around you, some of them have onsite labs for oil analysis. in my area of Raleigh,NC Gregory Poole is a large Cat dealer with a big repair facility..

They sell a UOA kit for $13.00 and being local i can drop off samples and get results in 24 hrs via email. (that includes TBN you just have to ask for it.)

Blackstone is a good one but there are other way to get UOA at a lower cost.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: ToadU
Diesel no longer has a place in my fleet and I suspect if most people really ran the numbers and would be brutally honest they would come to the same conclusion.

Have you looked at the Ram 5500? 6.4L Hemi (366 hp/429 lb-ft) and 6-speed AISIN AS66RC would make a stout combination.

I have had enough Dodge and Rams to know they simply can't hold up to the abusemy fleet takes. I have had never had the 6.4 but I have had the 5.7 hemi and (14) of the 6.7 Cummins. They simply can't hold up like the Fords. The Rams are more comfortable and have more room in the cabs. For years my personal daily driver was a Ram Hemi. However dollars and sense rule the day in business and the Fords are best at taking abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back