2012 FIAT 500 test drive review @ ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
P.J.O'Rourke found it favorable compared to the "DumbForAll" (Smart ForTwo).
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11q...iat_500-feature

Not really using a valuable "ruler" for measure. The Smartcar is less than a toy.
06.gif

I'd say his comments are not really positive...
Quote:
The twitchy low speed steering, grabby brakes, not too much power (said it needs the turbo NOW) and 5th gear is not useful.

Pass. Not worth the trouble since its does not get good gas mileage, questionable build and unknown dealerships/network.

I'd rather get something known..

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
P.J.O'Rourke found it favorable compared to the "DumbForAll" (Smart ForTwo).
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11q...iat_500-feature

Not really using a valuable "ruler" for measure. The Smartcar is less than a toy.
06.gif

I'd say his comments are not really positive...
Quote:
The twitchy low speed steering, grabby brakes, not too much power (said it needs the turbo NOW) and 5th gear is not useful.

Pass. Not worth the trouble since its does not get good gas mileage, questionable build and unknown dealerships/network.

I'd rather get something known..

You have to leave the comparison in:

Again, compared to the "DumbForAll". If you disqualify the "slower than a Geo Metro AND has less cargo space AND gets less mpg than a Geo Metro.. DumbForAll" then it does not fare as well

I thought this m.w. comment was funny.

Quote:

While some might call an Italian car, built by Chrysler, in Mexico, a trifecta of potential trouble

Let's hope not.

I see this as being initially popular and then tapering off, like:
VW New Beetle
Chrysler PT cruiser
Mini Cooper

Did any other retro-appearing car ever become popular and stay there?

Saw one the other day on the highway. Way to small for me, looks to be one size up from a Smart Car.

Update to my posts above... The hardtop verison (no sunroof) has at least 2 more inches of headroom. It feels like a completely different car compared to the sunroof versions. On the sunroof versions even short people will feel uncomfortable in the passenger seat and average size poeple will have their head touching the roof.

The non-sunroof and cabrio versions are just fine for headroom. Cabrio is cool but to me not worth the huge price differnce (like $4k I believe). Unfortunately the convertible does not come in the sport version, only pop or lounge.

The sport version has much better seats and materials on the inside compared to pop and lounge. The interior upgrades alone are worth the price difference to me for the sport compared to pop versions. Lounge has tons of chrome all around which to me looks very out of place on a fun quirky car. But just personal preference. Didn't test drive but might in the future. Looks like biggest factor on these cars is to avoid the sunroof versions.

After owning 3 MINI Cooper Ss, we traded our '07 for a '12 Sport. It takes me back and is more fun than the MINIs were. The added plus is that I never have to see another BMW dealership and be condescended to again.

I'm 6'5" and 245 pounds, btw. The car is for my wife's DD; I have a Power Wagon. But I'm finding myself looking for excuses to drive the little jelly bean...

I took it for a thrashing in the mountains over the weekend on the narrow/hilly/twisty roads that make north Georgia such a delight for motor enthusiasts. The automatic has a manu-matic mode and it's needed dearly for driving with any gusto. Once I got the hang of using momentum and inducing a little more oversteer with throttle modulation, it was a blast. I managed to surprise and pass quite a few vehicles of all sorts.
MPGs for the jaunt were an impressive 31.5 ----- our thriftiest MINI would've been 22 at best on a similar run.

It's not real quick but it's real fun. Hope it holds up...

My wife, an Italian-Brazilian, and her JB:
FIATfirstmountaindrive010_crop2.jpg

I remember an old Italian comedy where a few people were riding in a cinquecento and one of them was a large burly man. When they got a flat tire, they did not have a jack so the man lifted the car so that they could change the wheel.

I wonder if these are as light as the original one.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I wonder if these are as light as the original one.
At my best I could only benchpress around 500 and legpress 1300. I don't think I could lift a corner of this 2300 pound car...
It did come with a jack and a donut though. The standard kit is a can of tire sealer and a phone number. You pay extra for a spare.

I drove sport model with stick about 2 months ago. Liked it, but wish it had more power. Also going thru the gears is so easy, it was confusing me did I shift or not...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Made in Mexico kills it for me.
The Ford Festivas ( Mazda 121 ) were made in Mexico . We had several ( '90 w/ 3 speed auto + '93 w/ 5 speed manual ) and enjoyed them . Still see some buzzin' around .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back