2012 F-250 6.2L gas engine oil

I have a 2012 Ford Super Duty 6.2L V8 gas motor truck. I’ve been putting in 5W-20 synthetic blend Motorcraft engine oil since I’ve owned it the past year or two.

It’s due for an oil change again soon, I’m just deciding what to go with.

From posts I’ve heard on here that Motorcraft oil is very good for the money. Also it seems people like the Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic oil as well as its a decent oil for the price as well so I am also considering switching to that because I generally like to use full synthetic.

My main concern is that I see the newer Super Duties are now specced to use 5W-30 instead of 5W-20. The engine is exactly the same with no mechanical differences as far as I know. Would I be better off switching to 5W-30 this time or stick with 5W-20 like I’ve been using? I know these motors aren’t super picky but I do want this truck to last me as long as possible.

I’m thinking I’m going to pick up some QSUD 5W-30 unless anyone here thinks otherwise.

I don't think you will hurt a thing using 5W30 except a meaningless 1/10 of 1 MPG loss in fuel economy, who knows.

The wife's 2018 F350 with the 6.2 recommends 5W-30. I run 0W-40 M1 because I am a rebel and I never ever will be any good. I like the 0W-40 for some reason. I also run it in the 2006 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 engine.

I bought a 2012 F-250 6.2 new, ran it on 10W-30 syn from day one. Sold it a couple years ago with 306k miles/8k hours on the clock. I still get emails from Carfax every now and again when it gets serviced so it’s still running around out there somewhere

My company has a 2020 F250 with a 6.2 and it is getting 5w30 Motorcraft for a little while longer and then switched to Schaeffer 5w30. If it were mine I would run Schaeffer 5w40 but I'll stick with the recommended weight since it's not.

The wife's 2018 F350 with the 6.2 recommends 5W-30. I run 0W-40 M1 because I am a rebel and I never ever will be any good. I like the 0W-40 for some reason. I also run it in the 2006 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 engine.
Good choice; For any port injected, naturally aspirated application M1 euro 0w40 is just a great all season replacement for 5w30. I swear by it with my CL9 Acura Tsx with the 2.4l.

Thanks guys for the responses. I ended up getting the QSUD 5W-30. 7 quarts + a Motorcraft oil filter for $35 after tax, not bad. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

I remember reading somewhere about how Ford back specced the oil for this truck and am the new ones call for 5W-30 now, that’s why I wanted to check in here.

Honestly this engine is not super sophisticated with crazy tight tolerances or turbochargers or direct injection or anything like that. It’s a low stress big n/a port injected V8 that probably would be perfectly fine if I kept using the 5W-20 that I have been, but I feel better using the 5W-30 syn. oil this time around and for now on.

Back