2012 Corolla wheel size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stock 16" black steel wheels say 6.5 X 16, 5 X 114.3. I want to find a set of steel wheels to use for snow tires but I'm not familiar with buying wheels as far as how wide they can be, the off set etc. Will any 16" 5 X 100 wheel work? I've found used camry 16" wheels with the five lug bolt pattern but wasn't sure if they would work, I wonder if any Toyota 16 inch wheel would work? Thanks for the help.

5 X 114.3 is the lug circle-that's the important number. Tire Rack is a good source for wheels, you want to stick with a comparable offset, size & width to be sure they'll work.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/corolla/2012/

In addition to the lug bolt circle, the offset and hub bore diameter is important. If you stick with other toyotas, it'll probably work, but is worth googling before purchase.

Wheel width isn't as important, but you'll want to keep it close to stock, especially with snow tires where you probably will want to use a section width the same or slightly narrower than your summer tires.

If you pull the specs for the tire you want to use you usually get a 1.5 inch span of rim widths that'll fit. And your stock rims should fall in the middle.

Generically speaking, if you get a "front wheel drive offset" you'll be good. Only when you start pulling stuff like using oversize rims, you have to worry about hitting struts etc. Camry rims would be great. You want to keep your steering geometry about the same-- you'll notice your lower ball joint nearly or entirely inside the rim.

If you're buying new rims, and buy universals that have both 5x100 and 5x114, you might have better resale luck/ value when you're finally done with them as they are the two most popular patterns.

When it comes to buying wheels, even if you get all the numbers matched, there's still the problem of clearing the brakes - which you can't know until you fit the wheel to the vehicle. So buying wheels from individuals is a bit of a [censored] shoot.

However, folks who sell wheels for a business (like Tire Rack), will get you wheels that are guaranteed to fit.

Jumping in here late!

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
The stock 16" black steel wheels say 6.5 X 16, 5 X 114.3. I want to find a set of steel wheels to use for snow tires but I'm not familiar with buying wheels as far as how wide they can be, the off set etc. Will any 16" 5 X 100 wheel work? I've found used camry 16" wheels with the five lug bolt pattern but wasn't sure if they would work, I wonder if any Toyota 16 inch wheel would work? Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you pull the specs for the tire you want to use you usually get a 1.5 inch span of rim widths that'll fit. And your stock rims should fall in the middle.

Generically speaking, if you get a "front wheel drive offset" you'll be good. Only when you start pulling stuff like using oversize rims, you have to worry about hitting struts etc. Camry rims would be great. You want to keep your steering geometry about the same-- you'll notice your lower ball joint nearly or entirely inside the rim.

If you're buying new rims, and buy universals that have both 5x100 and 5x114, you might have better resale luck/ value when you're finally done with them as they are the two most popular patterns.

No, 5x100 bolt pattern will not fit the 5x114 bolt pattern. You will need a 114 bolt pattern.

Yes, aftermarket steel & aluminum wheels are available with a twin bolt pattern setup. Meaning, 10 lug holes in the wheels. For example:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...&vid=021367

Keep in mind that, these black aftermarket wheels will not accept your factory Toyota wheel covers. You'd have to buy some cheap aftermarket wheel covers as well, if you desire wheel covers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back