2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Stabilizer Bar End-Links - AC Delco vs. GM Genuine

Hello all - The title pretty much says it all. I'm ordering front stabilizer bar end-links for my friend's 2012 Sonic. Rock Auto has a variety. He's had bad luck with Brand X sourced locally, so I recommended OEM. The local dealer he tried was pretty pricey - C$82 each, plus tax, IIRC, so I've volunteered to order them through RA.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...4,1501879,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

AC Delco = C$14.27 each

GM Genuine = C$25.32 each

Is the GM Genuine product that much better than the AC Delco? Obviously it would be better to save the $20+ if possible.

As well, I should mention that, for whatever reason, the Sonic eats these end links. My friend had a set replaced under warranty, which only lasted a year or two, then another set installed by Midas post-warranty. They only went a year or so, and then we did another set about a year and a half ago, and now these ones are knocking over speed bumps, etc. So I want to buy something that will last.

Thanks all!

It seems that the OE plastic end links aren't strong enough, so get metal ones instead. My choice would be the Ultra-Power links.

Moog and Mevotech are greaseable, which is not a good idea because you have to keep regreasing them. The Ultra-Powers look sealed, which is better. Since U-P is the only sealed metal end link, get those.

Slacktide, thanks for responding to this. The issue is the quality of the ball and socket assembly, not the plastic body. So far none of the failures have been related to the plastic body (although I did see a broken one on an old Ford Taurus about 10 years ago).

I found a bit more information on the difference between GM Genuine and AC Delco:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...OR6w7AuNNDDi7IQ+q2rOlcOD34XIY0oey3ONKWKEaYg==

It looks like GM Genuine is definitely a step up. I'll see if my friend is on for the extra.

Buy at least 4 of them, so that if one fails again, you already have the replacement, and you only have to pay shipping once :)

Reactions: JC1
I bought the GM Genuine - hoping they last as long as the originals, and much longer than the several sets of replacements!

We changed out the bad one, on the passenger side. The old one was from NAPA, and we had installed it less than a year and a half ago. Both ball & socket assemblies were sloppy, and the threaded rod on the bottom was badly rusted. We had a very hard time getting the nut off, in spite of having used lots of anti-seize compound when installing the link.

The GM genuine (the new part) had that factory part look to it - Torx recess at the end of the threaded rod, instead of the hex recess the bad one had. Also, it was stamped Made in Korea, as the originals would have been.

A test drive confirmed that the clunking and knocking noises were gone. My friend will save the 2nd link as a spare. Hoping this new one will last for at least a few years.

Back