2011 VW GTI or Golf TDI for Daily Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also throw into the equation the DI valve deposit issues and the potential costs and inconvenience to perform the periodic cleaning in order for GTI performance not to degrade to TDI level.

The older TDIs needed intake cleanings as well. I doubt the newer ones will be exempt from this.

I've driven a friend's New Beetle TDi (female friend) on the freeway.

I was really suprised at how well it cruised at freeway speed. My previous freeway experience was in a much older Rabbit diesel. You had to put your foot through the firewall to keep up with freeway traffic (which given the rust, that was a real possibility)

Having driven neither, I think I'd go for the TDI. It's got plenty of torque and I'd love the ~600-700 mile range on road trips. If the performance of the TDI weren't good enough for me, I'd be looking at the WRX or the Mazdaspeed3 before the GTI, all things considered.

I've driven an '09 GTI and an '11 Jetta TDI, and I'd have to say it depends on what you're looking for.

The GTI definitely feels quicker, and gas mileage isn't bad. The TDI isn't slow - you won't have a problem merging with traffic for example, but you won't win any races. My dad's '11 TDI gets 40mpg average with about 60-70% highway driving.

Originally Posted By: cos
This just might be a deal killer:

From the March '10 issue of C&D:

"Once running, the diesel engine barely created enough heat to affect coolant temperatures. As a result, the heater struggled to produce warm air, even on 40-degree days. One stingingly cold morning, at 10-below, the Jetta’s coolant needle didn’t move at all, even after driving 20 miles. “Thankfully this Jetta has heated seats, otherwise I might be frostbitten,” a staffer reported. To deal with this shortcoming, Canadian models come with an electric heater that will blow warm air even when engine temps are too low to produce any heat. Our U.S.-spec TDI was not thus equipped, so we shivered our way to work on cold days."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/..._the_joy_page_2

My '09 has the electric heater....they all did in '09. I would assume the newer ones do, too.

I have driven my '09 at single digit F temps. No problems getting immediate warm air from the electric heater and then hot air after the car hit operating temp (20 miles or so at those low temps).

I have 85k miles on my '09 and have averaged 45.6mpg so far. I drive mostly highway...not the best for mpg. My best mpg comes at 45 - 50 mph in 5th (low 50s w/out the AC).

I love this car and would buy another in a minute.

Tim

Last edited:
To the OP....I own a 2008 GTI with the DSG and I love it. I'm at 30,000 miles and no problems. I keep meticulous records for MPG ( I have not missed a fill up ) and we are averaging 25.15 mpg in very spirited driving. If I'm driving for mpg's I can get 30 mpg pretty easily without hyper-miling tactics. The GTI has 2 personalities. The DSG is mostly responsible for this...it has 2 distinctly different shift programs that you control...plus the paddles.

If MPG are your number 1 criteria I would say go with the TDI every single time. But if you want a pretty fun car to drive around and still get respectable MPG's, considering the cars capabilities, then the GTI is the pocket rocket of choice.

You have a Versa for great MPG ( I know it's your wifes )...I think it would be pretty cool to have a TDI...but the drive would get boring to me after a while.

One last thought...in 2008 when oil hit $147 a barrel diesel was about $.70 more than premium. Right now it's the same...but we ship refined diesel to Europe and if the global GDP picks up you will probably see diesel prices start to climb again.

We burn gas in the USA...That 2.0 TSI/FSI engine VW makes is pretty wicked.

I agree with redrocker55. I also own a 08 gti w/ DSG. It has about 45k on it now. Has been excellent and if I were to buy a car today that is what I would buy. I really like the TDI golf though. Buy a GTI if you want the fun factor (chasis, engine, tranny combo is exccellent). Buy the TDI if mpg factor overides all else.

Redrocker, you can improve your mpg by roughly 5 mpg by cleaning the intake valves. Mine increased about 3 mpg for mixed and 5 mpg freeway after cleaning the valves. I get 36 mpg fwy best case scenario (not hypermiling) with 32-33 being more the norm.

An update from my brother's car. Saw it this weekend, returning great mileage, etc. However, the cloth seat (driver's seat) is starting to fray at the outboard bolster on the bottom cushion.

He is also complaining of a rattle at the P/S seatbelt, but I think that is due to how the seat is situated, as it doesnt get a lot of use and may just be in an alignment where the seatbelt accepter part has a funny resonance. I am disappointed about the seat, as our 08 has held up great. I have to wonder if the cloth and stitching selection was one of the ways that they cheapened up the current golf vs last-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back