2011 quest CVT fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cronk
Is NS-3 blue?
The NS-2 is kind of a greenish amber color.

It looks to be.

FedEx dropped off my case of 6qts of NS-3 today and I cracked open a bottle to check. Hope to get that drain/fill done in the next day or two.

Just finished swapping out 4qts of NS-3 CVT fluid from my 2016 Nissan Quest @ 33K miles. What drained out was pretty much black, but no particles or metallic sheen to it. This task is easier than an engine oil change on this van. There's an easily accessible drain plug, a level check plug and a "fluid charging pipe" (AKA- disptick tube) up top. Same setup on all late model Pathfinders and Murranos AFAIK. It took me just a few minutes to complete. There's enough room underneath that you don't need ramps, etc. I drained/filled it cold. I pulled the level check plug first to see how full it was and was surprised at the amount that came out cold. Maybe close to a 1/2qt? The level check plug has an O-ring seal, where the drain plug has a copper crush washer. I didn't replace either given they are basically new. This fluid is THIN. Like brake fluid thin. It also has pretty much no odor, which is a welcome change. I was bracing for a Maxlife-like ATF stink (yuck). Nothing. The new stuff is windshield washer fluid blue. We'll see how it goes and I'll probably get 2 more quarts and do another drain/fill sometime in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems cvt transmission's are hard on the fluid. I been using Castrol's Synthetic cvt fluid it works well in my wife's 13 accord

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Yeah it seems cvt transmission's are hard on the fluid. I been using Castrol's Synthetic cvt fluid it works well in my wife's 13 accord

^ True. We know color of the fluid doesn't necessarily mean much, but when OEMs take measures to make sure the OEM fluid is a specific color, it doesn't give you a warm-n-fuzzy when it comes out black.

At least Nissan is now taking measures to make for simple fluid changes and level check. It's easier than an engine oil change for the Quest/Murano/Pathfinder. Probably others too. This isn't the case for my 2016 Subaru Forester.

How is the Accord for CVT fluid changes?

The pic below is a sample of the CVT fluid from my 2016 Nissan Quest at 33K miles. The new Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid is a bright blue. I didn't want to waste any of the new liquid gold for a pic.

I did the second 4qt drain/fill on my 2016 Quest today. Basically the factory CVT fluid came out black @ 33K miles. The first drain/fill drained out a dark greenish color, then today after checking proper level after the 2nd drain/fill, the fluid is a nice bright blue. Total cost was $98 for 8qts of Nissan NS-3 off eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back