2011 Mazda RX-8 R3: 2 months after purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
all RX-8s carry an 8-year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine

RX-8s NEED the long engine warranty!
It is not uncommon to see them fail before they hit 40k miles, especially when equipped with an automatic transmission. The rotarys run better and last longer when you run the heck out of them.

Great looking car.

I miss by Sparkling Black Mica 2011 Sport.

Car handles like a dream, carves mountain roads like butter, and doesn't wear you out while doing so.

Personally, I found the rear seats comfortable, and I'm 6'1", but you need a shorter person in front of you, of course. I always preferred sitting in either of the rear seats, than to be in the passenger seat, because of the convertor hump in the floor.

Yes, gas mileage sucks.
There wasn't a single gas pump that the car didn't love, and it would visit them often.
Premium fuel, of course.

Make sure you replace the entire ignition system every 20 to 30k miles, to prevent the main failure point for a rotary engine - fuel contamination of the oil film due to incomplete ignition. That accelerates combustion chamber wear, and then you lose compressions. Plugs, wires, and coils, every time.

Also, with snow tires on, it's great fun in snow.
Yours having traction control and limited slip would be better than mine was, with just the limited slip rear.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Nice review. I love an engine that spins up. The concept of "low end torque" doesn't have any appeal to me. I'd probably like your RX-8 also.

Many posters here don't like low end torque engine, they love max torque available at a low 1-2k RPM and hate engines that rev to 7-8k.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Nice review. I love an engine that spins up. The concept of "low end torque" doesn't have any appeal to me. I'd probably like your RX-8 also.

Many posters here don't like low end torque engine, they love max torque available at a low 1-2k RPM and hate engines that rev to 7-8k.

The reality is most posters enjoy having all the torque all time instead of working for it and sometimes too late. For me its somewhere in the middle.

I had a WRX and it was a sling shot to say the least. An anemic 2.0L car below 4000RPM and then a crazed ape 4000RPM-6000RPM when you let the rubber band go.

I've had cars that develop substantial torque at low rpm as well as cars which have to be kept "on the boil" to make significant power. Both are fun in their own way; I do tend to have more fun tracking cars that require some involvement in order to make rapid progress.

Some people use vehicles for moving more than 2 people, and 5000 rpm clutch drops to get enough torque aren't on the list of things I enjoy.

Love,
M60 SC owner, former VQ35 turbo and m90 SC owner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stockrex
op, I am jealous but you made good decision,

I had 2 rx-7s few things you should save for later:

1. Cooling is the single most important thing,
2. Oil cooler cools a fair amount - so change oil often and use good brand oil
3. add a good brand 2 cycle to gas, I used 4 to 14 oz per fill, 14 for a 18 gal fill. Amsoil syn 2 cycle for me.
4. after driving spirited, let the car idle to cool the stuff down just like a turbo.
5. take it easy till the oil warms up.
6. Don't mod the airbox or any thing please, mazda did them the way it is for a reason.
7. It is not if the oil metering pump will fail, it is a question of when, so adding 2-cycle is the way to go and a little blue exhaust does not hurt anything :)

Thanks, and noted. :]

How much experience do you have with Series 2 RX-8s?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You must love your kids way too much to insist upon reasonable back seat in your sports car :)

Seriously, what is the reason for NOT considering 2-seat sports car in the same price bracket? I am assuming this is your toy car and not exactly a family hauler.

No kids yet, and this is my only car.

We do need to be able to carry back seat passengers and cargo sometimes. Most of the time it's just me in the car, but we didn't want to give up the ability to haul family around or do our periodic bulk shopping runs.

Plus, most 2-seaters would be really cramped for me.

When I looked at the 2-seaters that were available, I just didn't see that I'd be gaining much for the sacrifices we'd make.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

The reality is most posters enjoy having all the torque all time instead of working for it and sometimes too late. For me its somewhere in the middle.

So, here's how I see it.

The RX-8 has enough torque to get around at a good pace, especially given its ultra-short gearing. The only time you need to keep the revs up is when you want to move way faster than traffic. I don't think moving way faster than traffic should be easy. I think it should require attention and forethought. If you're going to create and sustain a huge speed differential between you and the cars around you, you should be forced to be completely on your game.

Plus: at some point, the ability to get from point to point faster is largely useless on a public road. The whole point is to feel rewarded. Having to work for speed is a way to get reward without actually going obscenely fast. In other words, it's a way to have fun without generating as much risk. Seems like a slam-dunk for a street car.

I see the appeal of easy point-and-squeeze acceleration. I just don't think it's worth seeking, especially if it comes at a cost to other aspects of the car's dynamics.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I was impressed looking under the hood of one.
2009-mazda-rx8_cc_013-2881.jpg

Not that I'd want to work on one, but it shows what the wankel and the car is about. Low mass, down low...

Not one but two strut bars... YES!!
thumbsup2.gif

Wayne

Fun car with great balance.

The chassis can take anything the little rotary can dish out.

They are bargains because people don't understand them.

My son's RX8 is a 2004.

With it, you have to be religious about clearing excess fuel before you shut it down.

I've become adept at the crank to clear procedure.

Hopefully this quirk has improved with later editions.

Originally Posted By: wag123
all RX-8s carry an 8-year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine

RX-8s NEED the long engine warranty!
It is not uncommon to see them fail before they hit 40k miles, especially when equipped with an automatic transmission. The rotarys run better and last longer when you run the heck out of them.

Not true, autos are mostly owned by females or males who behave like females, did not top off oil or OMP failed and they had not idea.

many years back in KC, Chuck drove an auto and at 200k both tranny and engine was fine.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
op, I am jealous but you made good decision,

I had 2 rx-7s few things you should save for later:

1. Cooling is the single most important thing,
2. Oil cooler cools a fair amount - so change oil often and use good brand oil
3. add a good brand 2 cycle to gas, I used 4 to 14 oz per fill, 14 for a 18 gal fill. Amsoil syn 2 cycle for me.
4. after driving spirited, let the car idle to cool the stuff down just like a turbo.
5. take it easy till the oil warms up.
6. Don't mod the airbox or any thing please, mazda did them the way it is for a reason.
7. It is not if the oil metering pump will fail, it is a question of when, so adding 2-cycle is the way to go and a little blue exhaust does not hurt anything :)

Thanks, and noted. :]

How much experience do you have with Series 2 RX-8s?

zero ownership experience but in market to get one with bad motor or high mileage.

I wish Mazda would do another Rotary powered car but due to CAFE standards I don't see how it's possible. There have been rumors floating around about a Rotary hybrid which doesn't sound reliable because the Wankel needs to warm up and be revved out frequently to prevent carbon buildup which can affect the rotor apex seals. There's also rumors of a SkyActiv Rotary.

Very nice.

Enjoy it while you can - life has a tendency to make fun cars like that impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back