2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T or 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for daily driver?

The class action settlement for the Hyundai extends the engine warranty (2.0L and 2.4L) to Lifetime Warranties.

What do I need to do to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty?
In order to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty, you must have the KSDS product improvement campaign (Service Campaign 953) performed on your Class Vehicle. Once the campaign is completed, your Class Vehicles is eligible for the Lifetime Warranty. If you are uncertain whether your Class Vehicle has the KSDS update (Service Campaign 953), please visit www.HyundaiUSA.com/Recall or call 855-371-9460 to confirm. If you have not had Service Campaign 953 performed, please schedule an appointment at the nearest authorized Hyundai dealership and the campaign will be performed on your vehicle at no cost to you. Please also continue to maintain the vehicle per the maintenance requirements in the Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Handbook and retain copies of the maintenance records. If Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect of the vehicle, you may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after August 31, 2020 to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

What does the Lifetime Warranty cover?
The Lifetime Warranty refers to the extension of the Powertrain Warranty for bearing wear or damage to cover the short block assembly which consists of the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons. The Lifetime Warranty also applies to any damage caused to the long block assembly due to connecting rod failure.

Do I get the Lifetime Warranty if I purchased the vehicle used?
Yes. The Lifetime Warranty applies to all owners of a Class Vehicle regardless of transfer of ownership or lease, mileage, or duration of ownership.

The class action settlement for the Hyundai extends the engine warranty (2.0L and 2.4L) to Lifetime Warranties.

What do I need to do to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty?
In order to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty, you must have the KSDS product improvement campaign (Service Campaign 953) performed on your Class Vehicle. Once the campaign is completed, your Class Vehicles is eligible for the Lifetime Warranty. If you are uncertain whether your Class Vehicle has the KSDS update (Service Campaign 953), please visit www.HyundaiUSA.com/Recall or call 855-371-9460 to confirm. If you have not had Service Campaign 953 performed, please schedule an appointment at the nearest authorized Hyundai dealership and the campaign will be performed on your vehicle at no cost to you. Please also continue to maintain the vehicle per the maintenance requirements in the Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Handbook and retain copies of the maintenance records. If Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect of the vehicle, you may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after August 31, 2020 to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

What does the Lifetime Warranty cover?
The Lifetime Warranty refers to the extension of the Powertrain Warranty for bearing wear or damage to cover the short block assembly which consists of the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons. The Lifetime Warranty also applies to any damage caused to the long block assembly due to connecting rod failure.

Do I get the Lifetime Warranty if I purchased the vehicle used?
Yes. The Lifetime Warranty applies to all owners of a Class Vehicle regardless of transfer of ownership or lease, mileage, or duration of ownership.
Does this apply to Canada also? No notice in the mail yet for my fiance's 2013.

Personally I'd prefer the Pontiac, but I'd rather have the non supercharged one. I did see a lot of supercharged 3800s running fine with no belt on the supercharger, so if it fails you're not screwed.
Lots of people will argue the warranty on the Sonata is worth choosing it for though.
My girlfriend's 2013 has 65-70k miles on it now, original engine still, but it's a bit noisy and oil turns black very fast. It has needed a ball joint, now needs a left front strut (leaked out), and a steering coupler which I thought was under extended warranty but when I punched in her vin number it says not covered.
Besides that just tires and brakes and a battery, so not bad so far but very low mileage.
The white paint is also chipping off all over and has little rust colored spots all over as well.

Personally I'd prefer the Pontiac, but I'd rather have the non supercharged one. I did see a lot of supercharged 3800s running fine with no belt on the supercharger, so if it fails you're not screwed.
Lots of people will argue the warranty on the Sonata is worth choosing it for though.
My girlfriend's 2013 has 65-70k miles on it now, original engine still, but it's a bit noisy and oil turns black very fast. It has needed a ball joint, now needs a left front strut (leaked out), and a steering coupler which I thought was under extended warranty but when I punched in her vin number it says not covered.
Besides that just tires and brakes and a battery, so not bad so far but very low mileage.
The white paint is also chipping off all over and has little rust colored spots all over as well.
I ran my 97 GTP with no belt for a few weeks while waiting for something to come in. I'm not sure if the L32 has a separate SC belt or not.

I will check the paint if I go look at the Sonata. The service records are impressive for this one. Aside from the mismatched headlight, it looks good in the pic.

I ran my 97 GTP with no belt for a few weeks while waiting for something to come in. I'm not sure if the L32 has a separate SC belt or not.

I will check the paint if I go look at the Sonata. The service records are impressive for this one. Aside from the mismatched headlight, it looks good in the pic.
Hers is White and it seems like a lot of manufacturers had problems with white paint for a number of years. Not specific to Hyundai I don't think.

Guys are going to hate me for this but..... A Chrysler... Seriously the 2005 300C SRT-8 6.1L 425 bhp is dirt cheap (Half what Chargers are). Doesn't have the cylinder deactivation crap that fails and runs 175 mph.

Guys are going to hate me for this but..... A Chrysler... Seriously the 2005 300C SRT-8 6.1L 425 bhp is dirt cheap (Half what Chargers are). Doesn't have the cylinder deactivation crap that fails and runs 175 mph.

For <100K miles, I am looking at $12K locally. 425hp in a 15 year old RWD performance sedan for a DD sounds like a little much. I would also prefer to have something without much of an aftermarket, to reduce temptation of going head first down the rabbit hole.

Been seeing the Chrysler for around 7-9 locally. Guess I've always had a soft spot for the big fast Chryslers since I had a '69 300 2-Door HT with the 440 TNT and 2.92 Rear Axle.

If I was still in Texas, or OKC, I would be ok with a big RWD boat, but not for KY winters. Don't want to do the beater plus toy thing.

FWIW, my mother owns a 2013 sonata 2.0 with 130k and she hasn't had any major issues. I change her oil with rotella every 5k. Hasn't used any so far. A friend of mine had a 2014 and beat the living snot out of it on a daily basis. I believe he traded it in around 100k. I think the oil feed line needs an update if not already done. Something like that anyway. Older GMs tend to have a fair share of electrical gremlins. However turbos are more maintenance, more checking etc. 8-9th gen civics are pretty cheap (quality) but will likely outlast any of your options. Not much of a fun factor, but sensible. Fords 2.0 are pretty good and durable, but again with the turbo, it requires a closer eye and upkeep. They are fun to drive, especially with a tune. Do a long drive with your favorites and go with the one you'll be happiest with. That's what I've always done, and even though some decisions weren't the best, I enjoyed working on them and adding them to my long list of owned vehicles.

Last edited:
FWIW, my mother owns a 2013 sonata 2.0 with 130k and she hasn't had any major issues. I change her oil with rotella every 5k. Hasn't used any so far. A friend of mine had a 2014 and beat the living snot out of it on a daily basis. I believe he traded it in around 100k. I think the oil feed line needs an update if not already done. Something like that anyway.
My parents had a 2012 or 13 with the 2.4 that I enjoyed driving, but it had the smaller infotainment screen. My mother has a Santa Fe with the 2.4. Rotella would be nice. I'm looking at the Sonata, Optima, Santa Fe and Sportage.
Older GMs tend to have a fair share of electrical gremlins. However turbos are more maintenance, more checking etc.

The superchargers needed oil and coupler changes, but not as bad as a turbo. I'm on my second turbo car, so boost leaks and frequent oil changes don't bother me much.
8-9th gen civics are pretty cheap (quality) but will likely outlast any of your options. Not much of a fun factor, but sensible.

I’m looking at the 8th and 9th gen Sis. They are hard to find, and even harder to find without air suspension, body kits, or more. I’d love to have the helical LSD. I had an Ion Redline with an LSD.
Fords 2.0 are pretty good and durable, but again with the turbo, it requires a closer eye and upkeep. They are fun to drive, especially with a tune.
The Escape, Focus ST, and Fusion are also on the list. It's hard to find one on most sites because a lot of the engines aren't listed until you open the Carfax. I'm trying to avoid the 1.5 and 1.6 due to the coolant issues.

Do a long drive with your favorites and go with the one you'll be happiest with. That's what I've always done, and even though some decisions weren't the best, I enjoyed working on them and adding them to my long list of owned vehicles.

As long as I don't get a real lemon, I'm not too worried about any of the choices. I just try to get as much info as I can to be able to make as informed of a decision as I can.

I am not sure. A Hyundai tech told me the 2.0T, and from reading it looks like it was both engines.

you’re right it was all those Theta 2;engines that are pretty much junk. They had an 1800 that has similar DOA issues with the Tick Of Death . I would equally avoid those too, Many times they will goodwill another long after out of warranty but they have no obligation.

I'd take the Pontiac too. Are you sure the 2.0T has lower end issues? I thought that was mainly the 2.4.
My neighbor had a 2011 Sonata with the 2.0L Turbo -- OCIs every 5000 miles since new. Dropped 3 cylinders at 134,xxx and totally out of warranty. Although she turned around and got a brand new 2020 Hyundai Tiburon. I am going to show her the post of the recall and hopefully she can get some money back from Hyundai now that there offering this settlement. It the time last year -- they told her she was out of luck -- hence buying a new car.

Last edited:
My neighbor had a 2011 Sonata with the 2.0L Turbo -- OCIs every 5000 miles since new. Dropped 3 cylinders at 134,xxx and totally out of warranty.
Lifetime warranty now

If they still have the paperwork for the repair they can submit for reimbursement.

Back