2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T or 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for daily driver?

Just an FYI, the other vehicles I'm looking at

8th or 9th Gen Civic Si
1998-up F-Body
1999-up Mustang
2017-up Chevy Cruze
Honda CRV
Ford Fusion/Edge/Escape with 2.0T

As someone who has owned a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix, a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro F-body, a 2006 Chevrolet Impala (same W-body platform as the GP), and a 2011 Hyundai Sonata (2.4L)...I would avoid them all if you are looking for a reliable daily driver.

I have had friends who have owned Civic Si, and they swear by them. If you can find one that hasn't been modified that would probably be the best option on your list, followed by the Honda CRV.

Another friend has a Ford Fusion with the 2.0T and has had no issues other than several recalls.

I have not looked into them at all. Most around me with less than 100K miles are 3.8s. What issues should I be looking out for?
I’m not sure on the first generation Genesis. Might want to go ask on Genesisowners.com

As someone who has owned a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix, a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro F-body, a 2006 Chevrolet Impala (same W-body platform as the GP), and a 2011 Hyundai Sonata (2.4L)...I would avoid them all if you are looking for a reliable daily driver.

My 1997 GTP had power steering whine, and so I replaced the PS Pump, leaking valve covers, and a leaking fuel fitting on top of the SC. Known problems for 3800s, and would be on the list for replacement as soon as the car got home. Saving ~$5K would allow for a lot of repairs, most of which have been known for years.

I have had friends who have owned Civic Si, and they swear by them. If you can find one that hasn't been modified that would probably be the best option on your list, followed by the Honda CRV.

The SIs have quite a premium here. There are a few stock ones local, but most are suspension, intake and exhaust. Sedans are missing from most searches. I would be ecstatic to find a sedan for less than $12K and 100K miles. There is an 8th gen with 36K miles for $11.5K locally I have my eye on, and a 9th gen for about the same price with 65K miles. The stock helical LSD is a big plus for me.

The CRV has been on my list for several years. They are just vanilla to me. If I could put an Si trans in one on the other hand, a K24 CUV with 6 speed would be nice.

Another friend has a Ford Fusion with the 2.0T and has had no issues other than several recalls.

They are higher in mileage for the same price than the Escapes for some reason. Cousin had one without issues. The infotainment seems to be behind the times on lower spec models from earlier in the Gen 2 generation, and the Titanium models seem to be priced like they aren't the same car.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, the other vehicles I'm looking at

8th or 9th Gen Civic Si
1998-up F-Body
1999-up Mustang
2017-up Chevy Cruze
Honda CRV
Ford Fusion/Edge/Escape with 2.0T

Wow, so a completely different set of of cars than you mentioned in the OP :p :ROFLMAO: :sneaky:

Why not a Focus with the 2.0T aka the Focus ST? You should be able to get one for 2017 Cruze money. And you mention a bunch of other Fords with the 2.0T. Since they are manual-only, you won't have any of the DCT problems.

You don't need a 16 year old Pontiac for a daily driver.

I know its the Glory years of the 3800 engine, etc etc. I'd want a car with AC systems working, and a bluetooth phone button on the wheel.

The 2011 sonata has the bluetooth streaming and bluetooth phone calls.

I just got a letter in the mail that Hyundai is warrantying the shortblock on those things for the life of the car. I do not know if that applies to the 2.0L turbo, as mine had the 2.4L engine.

Overall I found that vintage of Sonata very comfortable to drive with the 16 inch wheels. With the optional 18 inch wheels it was very harsh.

Mine ate three starters in 3 years due to having a plastic lever in there that always blew up. Had to have it towed somewhere three times.

Hyundai. Besides, new engines for life? Why not? I wouldn't wish a Pontiac to my worst enemy, and this coming from a die hard Pontiac owner in years past (70's-80's)

Wow, so a completely different set of of cars than you mentioned in the OP :p :ROFLMAO: :sneaky:
Yes. The only requirements I have is a spare tire, AC, power windows and locks. Keyless, remote start, and bluetooth would be nice, but not necessary. Range is wide open, but most cars listed are similar to cars I've owned in the past.

Why not a Focus with the 2.0T aka the Focus ST? You should be able to get one for 2017 Cruze money. And you mention a bunch of other Fords with the 2.0T. Since they are manual-only, you won't have any of the DCT problems.

Until 15 minutes ago I didn't think the Focus ST had a spare tire. But they are $4-5K above Cruzes on Autotrader. As I fish a lot, and there are things that don't always smell the best, I prefer a trunk with a division rather than a hatch with a lid. My Mazda Demio didn't keep the smell out very well. I know it's picky, and the SUVs are the same thing. They are further down the ranking.

Yes. The only requirements I have is a spare tire, AC, power windows and locks. Keyless, remote start, and bluetooth would be nice, but not necessary. Range is wide open, but most cars listed are similar to cars I've owned in the past.

Until 15 minutes ago I didn't think the Focus ST had a spare tire. But they are $4-5K above Cruzes on Autotrader. As I fish a lot, and there are things that don't always smell the best, I prefer a trunk with a division rather than a hatch with a lid. My Mazda Demio didn't keep the smell out very well. I know it's picky, and the SUVs are the same thing. They are further down the ranking.

The US-market ST has a full-size spare, while the Euro version has a stupid donut. Also, most cars with a spare tire well can accommodate a full-size spare even if it only came with a stupid donut. A real tire will usually fit, so you can always buy one later.

A Mazda 2 is a really small car. I'm surprised anything actually fit in it!

Bring lots of milk to soak those fish in :alien:

Would you consider a Frontier or Colorado? Perhaps a pickup would suit your needs better. The first-gen Ridgeline doesn't have VCM.

The US-market ST has a full-size spare, while the Euro version has a stupid donut. Also, most cars with a spare tire well can accommodate a full-size spare even if it only came with a stupid donut. A real tire will usually fit, so you can always buy one later.

A Mazda 2 is a really small car. I'm surprised anything actually fit in it!

Bring lots of milk to soak those fish in :alien:

Would you consider a Frontier or Colorado? Perhaps a pickup would suit your needs better. The first-gen Ridgeline doesn't have VCM.

Yes, I noticed on the ST. A donut is fine. I just find myself too often in BFE Kentucky hitting debris in the road at work to want to risk it in a personal car. It's the reason an ATS isn't on the list. The Mazda was in Japan, and I wasn't fishing then. I didn't need the room because I didn't have 4.5ft. rods to transport then, just luggage twice a year and random stuff. It was the face-lift version of the generation before the 1st 2 that the US got.

I have looked at the Frontier, Colorado, etc., but I don't see a reason to buy a small truck if the MPG isn't really going to be any better. The Coyote F-150 and GMT900 are also somewhere down the list, but I don't really need a truck enough to take the 10-20 mpg hit. My first vehicle was a 17 ft. long extended bed extended cab 1985 F-150, so the size wouldn't bother me.

Definitely the Sonata. Had a 2013 with the 2.4L. Never felt it needed more power, awesome range with a huge tank and 40 mpg on the highway.
I really liked that car, passed it on to my son. It got totaled by someone coming across the line in an ice storm. Rip.

Yes, I noticed on the ST. A donut is fine. I just find myself too often in BFE Kentucky hitting debris in the road at work to want to risk it in a personal car. It's the reason an ATS isn't on the list. The Mazda was in Japan, and I wasn't fishing then. I didn't need the room because I didn't have 4.5ft. rods to transport then, just luggage twice a year and random stuff. It was the face-lift version of the generation before the 1st 2 that the US got.

I have looked at the Frontier, Colorado, etc., but I don't see a reason to buy a small truck if the MPG isn't really going to be any better. The Coyote F-150 and GMT900 are also somewhere down the list, but I don't really need a truck enough to take the 10-20 mpg hit. My first vehicle was a 17 ft. long extended bed extended cab 1985 F-150, so the size wouldn't bother me.

The best car for you seems to be a 2013+ Accord

Definitely the Sonata. Had a 2013 with the 2.4L. Never felt it needed more power, awesome range with a huge tank and 40 mpg on the highway.
I really liked that car, passed it on to my son. It got totaled by someone coming across the line in an ice storm. Rip.

My parents had one for a few years. I didn't know about the engine issue until last week, which has very much affected my thoughts on it. The one I'm looking at has a lot of service records, but concerns over engine damage would make me unwilling to use the power much.

I'm looking at a 2011, which means the 10 years will be up next year.

In addition, Hyundai Motor America will increase the warranty for the engine sub-assembly to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai's Alabama plant with the 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline engines.

Back