2011 Corolla - Trans Drain/Fill or Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 2011 Corolla is coming up on 28k miles, and when I do my 30k service, I plan to have the "lifetime, but not actually lifetime" fluid serviced. I've read numerous places that 30k is a good time to do it on this car, as the Toyota WS starts to go much quicker than many other brands, and I am ok with spending money a bit more frequently to keep my car in good running order.

My problem is this... I cannot find conclusive information as to whether or not I should have them do a drain & fill or flush. I know flush is more expensive, and I'm happy to pay if there is a benefit (getting more old fluid out, more new in), but I want to avoid any downsides there might be, or if it is negligible between the two.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
SMC

I have a 2008 Corolla and did the first D&R when I bought it at 17K. I did another approx. 25K later. I used Toyota fluid and added Lubeguard red. Approx. 3.5 quarts drain out so you are freshening up the fluid for sure. I wouldn't bother with a flush
because I like to DIY and save money. It's very simple to do.

PS: My b-i-l has 215K on his 2004 Corolla and it's lucky if the ATF has been changed more than twice (I changed it at approx. 140K and again at 190K).
It's running great so I'm sure my pampered unit will do well with my regimen.

If you don't want to flush then 3 drain fills gets you about 80-85% new fluid. I do both depending on which car. The important part is that you are doing the service.

Our '03 Corolla has 120K now, nothing but drain/fills. First one was at 26K, right after we bought it in '09. Since then, it's been a drain/fill roughly every 20-30K. It's so easy on this car, I'm excited that the Civic has a drain plug as well.

a flush with some machine you know nothing about is like unprotected sex with a stranger!

stick with drain & fill, do that every couple of years and your tranny will stay "flushed" and you will be doing it safely!

IF it were MY vehicle, I'd do a drain and fill now and again in a month. Then on an annual basis, swap-out the 3.5 - 4 quarts of ATF in the tranny every spring before the summer heat arrives.

Cheap insurance with annual drain and fill of transmission each spring - especially if there is a drain plug available to use.

Does the dealer offer a "flush" service, or just drain and fill?

If you can do it yourself, a drain and fill is easier than an oil change on this car. If I had the dealer do anything, it would be to drop the pan and change the filter. I would then drain and fill regularly.

My experience is with a 2010 Vibe 1.8 4-speed. The 4-speed has a replaceable "felt" filter. A pan drain requires 2.7 quarts of WS and a 10mm Allen socket. I drive the front tires onto a pair of short two by sixes and there's enough room for me and a drain pan.

Some shops around here now have customers sign a liability release form of some type when doing a machine flush. Sounds like more can go wrong compared to a drain & fill.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Any cheap prices for the WS fluid?

I get a case of 12 qts from my dealer for $82

Can't believe nobody mentioned a bucket flush. Let the torque converter pump out the old stuff for you.

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
Can't believe nobody mentioned a bucket flush. Let the torque converter pump out the old stuff for you.

That is what I do on some cars with sealed transmissions. I use the cooler return line and run 12 quarts through every 50,000 miles. OR do 3 drain fills. Either way is fine.

Just drain and fill. One simple drain and fill every 30k is enough.

The only time you should "flush" is if you never changed it in 200k miles, and even then the way to do it is the regular drain and fill repeated 3x

Power flushing is stupid and does more harm than good.

WS to me seems like an inferior ATF.
I drain and refill my daughters '10 Rolla every 5k oci.

Originally Posted By: RichR
WS to me seems like an inferior ATF.
I drain and refill my daughters '10 Rolla every 5k oci.

That seems a bit pricey to me. If it is that inferior, why not use something else? It's like $9/qt up here, well, at least at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back