2011 Audi S4 with 3.0L TSI Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also very interested in any more knowledge about intake valve deposits on direct injected cars when changing the oil too early as I've done this a lot. Other than the first and 2nd oil changes, I've yet to even make it to 3k miles on an oil change on my 2.3l direct injected turbo. My oil is pretty black on most oils after only 1k miles. And after hearing from a known "expert" that does oil analysis for a living about even M1 0w40 only holding up for 1k miles in a direct injected turbo (I think Audi, though not sure) I've been kind of frightened off of long oci's a bit. Well that and I love changing my oil and trying different oils. A lot. I change my oil pretty early, whenever it suits me really. But most changes are around 2,700 miles or less.

But this new info is making me reconsider. I'd love to hear more about it, even if it's only speculation at this point.

Just checked. It was Terry Dyson and the car was an Audio 2.0l Turbo FSI.

He said that after 1k miles most OTC synthetics wear protection was not very good anymore but that changing the oils out at only 1k miles created an issue with intake valve deposits. So it's kind of lose lose. This is why saaber1 runs Redline 5w40 which is ester based. I wish I could get this oil cheaper as it seems like a perfect fit for direct injected turbo's with the whole fuel dilution shearing oils and lowering wear protection and intake valve deposit issues as the Redline can apparently do great in combating both.

Not that I know of. I haven't checked though. The B8 forums seem to indicate the issue is gone in these more recent DI engines from Audi. Some guys are over 50k now with them. I am going with 5k changes and either PU 5W-40 or Mobil 0W-40. I found a local Shell distributor that sells PU 5W-40 European for $40/case. Mobil is $54/case when not on sale, so I am leaning towards the Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Sunstealer - You may find M1 0W-40 the excellent choice!

Even if the DI engine is still prone to deposits and fuel dilution?

hmmmm... this is where I'm at as well. I'm thinking that NOACK is king one day (sludge), Then HTHS the next(turbo), then fuel dilution from DI (VI/grade) and ponder deposit control (lower SAPS/esters) but what about cleanliness (TBN)...arrrrrrgggghh! lol! But at 3K OCI's (recommended by manufacturer for severe), and 4.8K MAXIMUM OCI, what does it matter LOL?

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Just checked. It was Terry Dyson and the car was an Audio 2.0l Turbo FSI.

He said that after 1k miles most OTC synthetics wear protection was not very good anymore but that changing the oils out at only 1k miles created an issue with intake valve deposits. So it's kind of lose lose. This is why saaber1 runs Redline 5w40 which is ester based. I wish I could get this oil cheaper as it seems like a perfect fit for direct injected turbo's with the whole fuel dilution shearing oils and lowering wear protection and intake valve deposit issues as the Redline can apparently do great in combating both.

do you have a signed release to say that here
15.gif

I respect Terry but I doubt he said that verbatim.

I do agree with the latest DI engines you can help their issues with the proper oil and OCI's

You guys are not remembering the RS4 carbon buildup fiasco, clearly. Those cars need yearly cleaning of their intake valves. The buildup is awful, even with periodic changes of almost any oil.

Supposedly this new 3.0 supercharged FSI is doing better with regards to deposits, alas, they've only been around for about 2 years, so I'm guessing there isn't a lot of high mile data available yet.

I've asked around on quattroworld, and so far no one has said anything bad on the subject...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Supposedly this new 3.0 supercharged FSI is doing better with regards to deposits, alas, they've only been around for about 2 years, so I'm guessing there isn't a lot of high mile data available yet.

I've asked around on quattroworld, and so far no one has said anything bad on the subject...

From what I saw, the RS4s developed bad deposits in 10k (one year or less). Maybe this process has slowed down on newer motors.

direct injection is the problem, no fuel washing the valves, rumor has it VW may be adding an injector beside DI setup to remedy this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back