2011 Acura MDX ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Momma is loving a 2011 MDX AWD. 46,XXX miles 3.7ltr engine. Obviously its a dressed up Honda (we have had 2 Hondas and I trust them) this one seems pretty well top tier, well loaded. this crossover SUV is in our crosshairs. can anyone tell me anything use full about them ? pro's or cons ? dealership is asking $25,700 "managers special"

Being in Indiana with the Winters of ice/snow and salt on the roads for those years would be another reason I would pass on a vehicle that old at that price.

Gas mileage too is not that great and will be under the 20 mpg range - another consideration.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Gas mileage too is not that great and will be under the 20 mpg range - another consideration.

Which other AWD SUV with a V6 engine will deliver much better mpg under such driving conditions?

I appreciate the feedback, whats a fair price ? will likely trade in our 07 accord. Id like to get $8,000 on trade. KBB IS showing the Acura at well above the 25,700 asking price.

This is a totally worthless (on my part) comment, but personally I'd put that money towards a brand new Honda and skip the Acura badge.

Personally I'd get a brand new 2015 CRV (2WD) and call it a day.

In Canada they start at 26 grand, brand new.

Just had to say it sorry. It is an opinion that is more apples to oranges.

Originally Posted By: Falken
This is a totally worthless (on my part) comment, but personally I'd put that money towards a brand new Honda and skip the Acura badge.

Personally I'd get a brand new 2015 CRV (2WD) and call it a day.

In Canada they start at 26 grand, brand new.

Just had to say it sorry. It is an opinion that is more apples to oranges.

I appreciate your feedback, but mom likes the trim on the Acura (obviously a lot nicer than Honda (and that's not a knock, we still own one Honda) and we live down a private lane in the country, the AWD is a big selling point. Regardless if its a AWD or 4X4 momma's next car needs this feature. we test drove a jeep wrangler 4x4 yesterday as well and although the options were nice she didn't care for the interior. I like 4Runners although finding a saleman to work with you on one is a pain..

KBB is high for used car prices, and low for trade-in. NADA is high for trade in (so I like to use NADA as my bargaining chip when negotiating trade in and hope to get close to it).

In reality, Edmunds is pretty close. Go there to see what a reasonable price is for that vehicle.

Always negotiate through their internet sales person. You will almost always get the dealer's best price right off the bat without having to haggle. You'll still have to haggle on your trade-in at the dealer.

IMO that is a lot of money for an almost five year old vehicle, but it isn't a lot of miles and it should last another 10. If it is exactly what your mother wants, and you can get it for a fair price, I say go for it.

FYI: Be weary of high doc fees. IMO any doc fee more than $250 is excessive. We just bought a new vehicle in April and doc fees for various dealers were between $75 and $600. The dealer with the cheapest doc fee also had the lowest price and best service. Needless to say we bought it there (Airport Ford just south of Cincinnati in Florence, KY).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Which other AWD SUV with a V6 engine will deliver much better mpg under such driving conditions?

Lexus RX450H

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Lexus RX450H

Thanks. It does get pretty good mpg, indeed.

If you're buying used, I guess hybrid battery replacement cost should be factored into the equation. Maybe a non-issue if you're not planning to put on too many miles.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Lexus RX450H

Thanks. It does get pretty good mpg, indeed.

If you're buying used, I guess hybrid battery replacement cost should be factored into the equation. Maybe a non-issue if you're not planning to put on too many miles.

Not really. Similar system to the Prius, which mind you have reliable batteries that don't require replacement in most circumstances.

test driving this morning,
what I found
Edmonds $26,000
KBB $26,211
NADA $27,300

and they are asking $25,700 so whats a respectable offer to make them ? it looks pretty clean.

our trade is the 07 Honda accord with everything done. new tires, new timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, oil, tranny fluid, coolant.. everything..it just left the body shop last fall getting all the little stuff done to it with the paint. it has a 105,000 miles on it, its a loaded EX-L tinted windows, weathertech floor liners, vent shades, not a rip or a crack anywhere.. very, very clean, needs absolutel nothing done to it. Kbb trade $7,526 to $8,797 with private party being $9,660 and retail going anywhere from $10,584 to $13,059

where should I be standing firm on my trade ?

please chime in, I may be negotiating this morning.

If they are under kbb I tend to think they will not budge much. As for trade, what is nada for it? I suspect that, being lower than kbb, is what they will want to give.

I would go in with it set in your mind to walk away. Not unless if they beat trade in that you want. If it sits for 30 days, they might be more willing to deal, if not have dropped price by then.

Test drive, nice, it's clean used but not perfect. It's sat 3-4 months and one tire had a vibration. I told them I was interested but wanted the vibration fixed and I wanted a high trade value. I also told him I knew the 16's were on the way and this one will soon drop in value. Salesman told me he felt he already had a buyer for our car if we traded.

I have a 2007 which is same generation but different nose and 5 speed auto instead of the 6 in the 2011.

I purchased my 2007 MDX tech in 2011 with 83k with new tires, brakes and all maintenance done to date with cruddy body work on door now rusting for $20k.

Now with 130k it has required a AC relay($9 part common Honda problem) and a belt tensioner($100) outside scheduled maintenance. The bluetooth unit did die but have no bothered replacing. The fluid changes my Subaru mechanic are dead easy including rear diff and transmission as he asks me to buy specific Acura fluid($50ish) but charges $20 labor for either service(nuts!) during oil change in winter at state inspection. It does require an expensive maintenance $700(Subaru indy)-$1200(dealer locally) at 105k.

Basically typical Honda experience for me. No siginificant issues. The motor is quite powerful and driving dynamics for what is quite good. The downside for me is 19MPG average. We are a family of 5 and it suits well for that and friend in the third row. The main reason we own it is family vacation home has 700' elevation climb over 1 mile on gravel followed by 1/4 mile driveway across open field that drifts in. Minivan's even with winter tires or even AWD cannot handle it. Not important but the SH-AWD is an absolute hoot on gravel roads leading to house.

Make sure tires do not vibratrate before delivery. My prior Michelin Latitude did have on do that and has since gone since changing tires to Nokians.

I think that's a fair price. This is a $50k vehicle with less than 50k miles. As a CR-V owner myself, and even as a 2005 MDX owner without the SH-AWD system (ours has the older VTM-4), I can attest to the fact that a SH-AWD MDX drives and handles like no other vehicle in its size class. It just doesn't.

My folks test drove numerous similar vehicles before buying their 2014 MDX. Lexus RX and Cadillac SRX were the two other FWD-based. Plus the Grand Cherokee and Durango. The Lexus and Cadillac drove like typical front-drivers -- you could feel the front end pulling the car around. They didn't handle well, but they rode nice. Typical for their brands, probably. The SH-AWD MDX simply doesn't drive like a FWD vehicle. Put the pedal down, the rear end plants, and it just GOES. It's not a typical cross-over slip-to-grip type AWD system -- it's active and predictive, with torque vectoring and the whole nine yards.

And it seats 7, which is something I don't think the RX or SRX do. I know the Grand Cherokee doesn't. The Durango does, but it's quite a bit larger.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But if you did have the 7 passengers inside, is there any room left over for their luggage?

The third row of MDX is for kids only(<=14) not adults. And no real room for luggage in this situation as there is a small space behind seat. I would not consider an MDX a good travel vehicle for 6-7 passengers with luggage. However day trips etc it works quite well to take grandparents or firends along with our family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back