2010 Scion XD, Delvac 15W-40, 14.8K OCI

Impressive wear rates and low contamination. This should last forever barring any kind of catastrophic event.

These smaller, lighter, simpler, slighly older cars are really impressive in terms of how well they run and hold up. Both Honda and Toyota seemed to have perfected these, though there were some American makes (Ford Focus with manual trans, for example) that achieved this as well. Today's cars are just so much more complicated with turbos, tech integration, DI, etc. Today's cars may last a long time, but they definitely will cost more to maintain to achieve the same result.

Impressive wear rates and low contamination. This should last forever barring any kind of catastrophic event.

These smaller, lighter, simpler, slighly older cars are really impressive in terms of how well they run and hold up. Both Honda and Toyota seemed to have perfected these, though there were some American makes (Ford Focus with manual trans, for example) that achieved this as well. Today's cars are just so much more complicated with turbos, tech integration, DI, etc. Today's cars may last a long time, but they definitely will cost more to maintain to achieve the same result.
I'd never dream of pushing a GDI engine oil this far with the fuel dilution issue that GDI brings to the table. Turbo stress and heat make it even worse. But the chemists and engineers keep bringing their "a-game" to keep up and keep creating incredible formulations of motor oil. I am glad to see that KIA /Hyundai is adding port fuel injection to most of their engines to address the carbon buildup on the intake valves problem. Toyota and Ford have already been doing this for several years.

I find it interesting no one has commented on how it's going to blow up or be ruined, destroyed by using the wrong grade of oil.. cold start flow..Bla,bla,bla.
The obvious conclusion is that in a vehicle meant for 20 wt. oil, you will get less wear with a 30 wt. oil, just like you will get less wear with a 40 wt. than a 30 wt.

Its not rocket science folks. I use 30 wt in my '22 subaru that is speced for 20 wt.

this…my 2014 toyota yaris 1.5 is another long-term, reliable, keeper. k.i.s.s. it gets 5w30 semisynthetic kendall or valvoline, most recently tgmo, at 3000 mile/18mo oci.

It's been in the negatives in NYC the past few days, a cold start on 15w40 could never 😳

My 2.4 xB makes it on 0w40, I wouldn't go any thicker

But your in warmer lands, good to see it's turning in excellent wear numbers 🙂

That oil report blows my mind. I've never seen wear numbers so low with such high miles. And that's with the wrong viscosity to boot.

Back