2010 Jeep lifetime unlimited warranty ...

Yep, going in for the third "five year inspection". The second one four years ago I had a fight with the dealership because the mechanic said the trans fluid wasn't changed and the oil was dirty. They tried to end the powertrain warranty right then and there. They pulled up their records and said "no oil changes, no trans service", and then I showed them the receipts for the oil and the service report THEY did on the trans six months earlier.

Decent warranty though, not perfect. Still have the vehicle. Runs great, very happy with it.

Problem is the engine is no longer produced and I've seen many threads where the vehicle is purchased back by Chrysler when the engine is the problem.

I will say, I was not expecting to hear good reports here. Warranties are something oem’s like to back out of, and quickly.

This thread reminded me then got me thinking, which is not always a good thing. I hope they don't hassle me for the transmission pan being an aftermarket pan with a drain plug?? I'd hate to have to swap it back the the stock garbage that started to rust, the transmission is operating perfectly. That's if they even put it on a lift, since the inspection is free, and after 15 years they might have a list a mile long to keep the warranty intact. NY is a lot different than other parts of the US, the dealers really suck here LOL. I lost my inside hook.

OT my son's 16+ years in the USN had me car shopping in CA and WA helping him, so I have experience to gauge it by. They were a piece of cake to deal with compared to L.I. dealers, their shops were easy too.

Ironic that they offered a lifetime powertrain warranty during what has probably been their worst years of quality. I wouldn't even consider a Jeep from that time period, utter garbage.

Ironic that they offered a lifetime powertrain warranty during what has probably been their worst years of quality. I wouldn't even consider a Jeep from that time period, utter garbage.

Yeah, the Daimler years were pretty dark...I switched to buying GMs during that time. Chrysler was sitting on a fat pile of cash in 1998 when Mercedes came in and did nothing but pilfer the company, it was sad to watch.

OP woke up bored and still obsessing over a used vehicle he purchased a decade ago. Feel bad for someone living such a pedantic life.
Sarcasm lol, since using the wrong oil gives us all nightmares. I don't fear the boogeyman like a fear using an oil with a cheap add pack.

Last edited:
Yes, and the has vehicle had to be inspected by a Jeep dealer every 5 years to keep it intact. I read on message boards of a few people that used it with success. IIRC one member of a Jeep forum had a transmission replaced under it. I would imagine there could be hoops to jump through, but this guy claimed it went w/o a hitch. YMMV
That may have been me. I have an 08 Wrangler that had a rattling manual tranny at about 116k miles. It was also occasionally popping out of gear, which had been repaired earlier, maybe around 60k or so (which it did every day and sometimes violently). This time, the popping out of gear wasn't terrible and it was gentle, and only once a week or so, but just annoying. They assessed it and elected to replace it under the warranty. They gave me a really nice loaner Wrangler, which was lifted and ran 35's, and within 3 days, IIRC, I had mine back and in perfect running order. I went ahead and had them replace the clutch since it would save some labor hours with the tranny already out. The whole process was perfect and the Jeep runs and drives like new now at over 180k miles. I also had the water pump replaced under that warranty. As stated, I have to take it in every 5 years for an inspection. I did that just last September or October. It passed with flying colors.

Based on that experience, I bought the Max Care lifetime warranty on my 2018 JL Wrangler. Unlike the 08 warranty, It has a $200 deductible, no inspection requirement, and is transferable. It covers much more than powertrain, as well, such as electronics and other parts not to be considered wear items. I'm getting both sun visors repaired (poor mounting design) and a broken center console latch. It'll be the first test of this warranty. The Jeep just passed 75k miles and is 5 years old and has been a great vehicle with very few issues.

I will mention that both of these Jeeps have been very well maintained, but also tested significantly off road, all over the country. They are built like tanks and take a heck of a beating and continue to run and drive extremely well. I've been 100% happy with Jeep for many, many years.

That may have been me. I have an 08 Wrangler that had a rattling manual tranny at about 116k miles. It was also occasionally popping out of gear, which had been repaired earlier, maybe around 60k or so (which it did every day and sometimes violently). This time, the popping out of gear wasn't terrible and it was gentle, and only once a week or so, but just annoying. They assessed it and elected to replace it under the warranty. They gave me a really nice loaner Wrangler, which was lifted and ran 35's, and within 3 days, IIRC, I had mine back and in perfect running order. I went ahead and had them replace the clutch since it would save some labor hours with the tranny already out. The whole process was perfect and the Jeep runs and drives like new now at over 180k miles. I also had the water pump replaced under that warranty. As stated, I have to take it in every 5 years for an inspection. I did that just last September or October. It passed with flying colors.

Based on that experience, I bought the Max Care lifetime warranty on my 2018 JL Wrangler. Unlike the 08 warranty, It has a $200 deductible, no inspection requirement, and is transferable. It covers much more than powertrain, as well, such as electronics and other parts not to be considered wear items. I'm getting both sun visors repaired (poor mounting design) and a broken center console latch. It'll be the first test of this warranty. The Jeep just passed 75k miles and is 5 years old and has been a great vehicle with very few issues.

I will mention that both of these Jeeps have been very well maintained, but also tested significantly off road, all over the country. They are built like tanks and take a heck of a beating and continue to run and drive extremely well. I've been 100% happy with Jeep for many, many years.
I don't remember if it was you, although if you did mention it on a Jeep forum, then it was you. It sounds like your experience was a good one, but being from NY has me thinking this 15 year check and my aftermarket transmission pan might cause me a problem. The transmission is flawless. What do you think?

I realized about a week after I replaced my water pump it was covered, LOL Oh well.

This thread reminded me then got me thinking, which is not always a good thing. I hope they don't hassle me for the transmission pan being an aftermarket pan with a drain plug?? I'd hate to have to swap it back the the stock garbage that started to rust, the transmission is operating perfectly. That's if they even put it on a lift, since the inspection is free, and after 15 years they might have a list a mile long to keep the warranty intact. NY is a lot different than other parts of the US, the dealers really suck here LOL. I lost my inside hook.

OT my son's 16+ years in the USN had me car shopping in CA and WA helping him, so I have experience to gauge it by. They were a piece of cake to deal with compared to L.I. dealers, their shops were easy too.
Depends on the dealer. The list I saw wasn’t very detailed and left a lot of the decisions to the dealership. The dealership I had to go to tried hard to “find” issues.

Your drain pan with plug would be a big flag for them. I’ll see if I can find the list. IIRC, one item was “aftermarket parts installed “

I haven’t changed anything on mine at all and it they still fought me on it.

Depends on the dealer. The list I saw wasn’t very detailed and left a lot of the decisions to the dealership. The dealership I had to go to tried hard to “find” issues.

Your drain pan with plug would be a big flag for them. I’ll see if I can find the list. IIRC, one item was “aftermarket parts installed “

I haven’t changed anything on mine at all and it they still fought me on it.
For sure! The transmission pan had peeling paint on it and was rusting. I was due for a service and decided to replace the pan with a new one that had a drain plug. I can sand down and paint the stock pan, then drive it around and get it dirty I guess. I didn't throw it out. I'd rather not, I'm not due for a transmission service, but I don't want to blow the warranty either. My prior two inspections were done at a dealership a friend worked at, he's long gone.

I don't remember if it was you, although if you did mention it on a Jeep forum, then it was you. It sounds like your experience was a good one, but being from NY has me thinking this 15 year check and my aftermarket transmission pan might cause me a problem. The transmission is flawless. What do you think?

I realized about a week after I replaced my water pump it was covered, LOL Oh well.
I've posted on two Jeep forums, indlucing JLwranglerforums and JK-forum. But hey, I doubt I'm the only one who has had a good experience with it. I'm sure a good dealership helps, too. Mine is York in Plainfield, Indiana. They are tops.

I've posted on two Jeep forums, indlucing JLwranglerforums and JK-forum. But hey, I doubt I'm the only one who has had a good experience with it. I'm sure a good dealership helps, too. Mine is York in Plainfield, Indiana. They are tops.
It had to be you then! My dealer was tops when my friend worked there, w/o him they suck! LOL

Found it:

1. Lift vehicle on suitable hoist
2a. Does the vehicle have a warrantable powertrain leak?
2.b. Check all powertrain components for physical damage
2.c. Does the vehicle have modifications that have affected the operation of the powertrain?

2.c. is the one they might use against you. There is no definition of "affected the operation" and while we know a pan won't be an issue, they might make it one (inadequate capacity, poor heat emissivity, wrong depth leading to incorrect fluid measurement, etc.)

Inspection Checklist 1.jpg

If they check "NO", then you have to prove otherwise. You will get no support from FCA online support. They just told me they go by what the dealership says. If they fail you, your only recourse is to sue them (they bank on the fact an attorney will cost you 3 to 5K retainer, and you have to go to arbitration per the sales contract).

IIRC, there was nothing on the checklist about oil changes, or anything related to that. But that is the "go to" for the dealership I went to, to deny and fail your coverage.

Like I said earlier, they failed me and I had three weeks to bring back the info or it was a "permanent" loss of PTW. I had them search their own records and then they corrected the report.

I dread this next "inspection". I can see it only getting worse because now I'm over 235K miles and they want this car off their books.

Attachments

• Inspection Checklist 1.jpg
    Inspection Checklist 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 5
Found it:

1. Lift vehicle on suitable hoist
2a. Does the vehicle have a warrantable powertrain leak?
2.b. Check all powertrain components for physical damage
2.c. Does the vehicle have modifications that have affected the operation of the powertrain?

2.c. is the one they might use against you. There is no definition of "affected the operation" and while we know a pan won't be an issue, they might make it one (inadequate capacity, poor heat emissivity, wrong depth leading to incorrect fluid measurement, etc.)

View attachment 141841

If they check "NO", then you have to prove otherwise. You will get no support from FCA online support. They just told me they go by what the dealership says. If they fail you, your only recourse is to sue them (they bank on the fact an attorney will cost you 3 to 5K retainer, and you have to go to arbitration per the sales contract).

IIRC, there was nothing on the checklist about oil changes, or anything related to that. But that is the "go to" for the dealership I went to, to deny and fail your coverage.

Like I said earlier, they failed me and I had three weeks to bring back the info or it was a "permanent" loss of PTW. I had them search their own records and then they corrected the report.

I dread this next "inspection". I can see it only getting worse because now I'm over 235K miles and they want this car off their books.
Thanks for sharing that! I have a feeling I will be repainting the old pan and putting it back on with the sealant used by Jeep and calling it a day. I no longer have any friends working for a Jeep dealer.

Thanks for sharing that! I have a feeling I will be repainting the old pan and putting it back on with the sealant used by Jeep and calling it a day. I no longer have any friends working for a Jeep dealer.
Yeah, I suspect that will be your best bet to get through that process. It is, IMO, poorly designed and gives way too much latitude to the dealership - who is rewarded by denying the warranty since they are paid at a much lower rate for warranty work than regular "retail" work.

In my case, it was obvious i was going to be "failed" because the first thing I was asked was "do you have all your service records with you?". They didn't even bother to check their own records. It was an aggravation and a waste of my time to force them to check their own paperwork. I went to them for service because I gave them all my business on that particular vehicle.

After that debacle, I have not darkened their doorstep since.

I don’t see how a tranny pan could be considered as affecting the drivetrain.

Think like a stealership :)

"If the pan has been replaced, how do I know the correct fluid and/or correct amount of fluid are inside? Those can clearly affect how the transmission works, warranty void!"

The thing about a lot of extended "warranties" is that they aren't warranties, per-say. They are service contracts, which are not as bulletproof as a factory warranty. Mag-Moss does not apply to service contracts, so if the dealer wanted to, they could claim a transmission pan change voids the WHOLE "extended warranty" even if you are there for something unrelated.

Even (and especially) for the MaxCare Lifetime I have...Im fairly paranoid about keeping it intact, because I bought it basically hedging on cam/lifter and/or transmission issues (very far) down the road. I could honestly fix everything else in the truck myself, but those 2 are hefty (parts, cost, labor) jobs that I would rather let the dealer do if it ever came down to it. So far, my dealer seems OK...fixed my fuel pump/level sensor unit no questions, just paid the deductible. Ive also talked to them about me changing the oil and if the lifters ever went, they said the first thing they do is pull the valve covers and can tell right away if the engine has been taken care of...they wouldn't question who did the oil changes if the engine looks clean.

The one thing that gets me is the transfer case and transmission fluids. I know there are (much) better than OEM stuff out there, but I bet if they see something different than expected color, they would make that a red flag.

Back