2010 Ford Fusion ATF

My brother-in-law has a Fusion with 215k miles. He bought it used at a good price, but the transmission made a lot of noise between 2nd and 3rd gear. I pumped out about 5 quarts through the dipstick tube, and replaced it with Castrol Import MV fluid. I also added LubeGard Shudder Fix, and it was almost gone. I know Ford specs Mercon LV, but would Valvoline Import work? This transmission came with T-IV from the factory.

What engine?
2.5 I4 & 3.0 V6 have the 6F35, they take Mercon LV
3.5 V6  Sport has an Aisin AWF21 that takes Mobil 3309/Toyota Type I-V
The Hybrids are an eCVT, different beast
You don't have to suck out the dipstick tube, a drain plug is provided
Keep an eye on the cooler lines, make sure they aren't rotting through

My brother-in-law has a Fusion with 215k miles. He bought it used at a good price, but the transmission made a lot of noise between 2nd and 3rd gear. I pumped out about 5 quarts through the dipstick tube, and replaced it with Castrol Import MV fluid. I also added LubeGard Shudder Fix, and it was almost gone. I know Ford specs Mercon LV, but would Valvoline Import work? This transmission came with T-IV from the factory.
Disconnect the battery for half an hour, or use Forscan or another diagnostic tool to reset the fuzzy logic of the PCM. This is ALWAYS a missing piece to changing fluid on a neglected vehicle, especially ones with 6F35s.

I would always use what is spec'd. I think there's always a gamble using MV fluid especially on a trouble prone, neglected transmission. If there's a replacable filter, that should have been done too.

That's the 6F35 trans and it does call for a LV atf. I use M1 LV HP atf in my 2017 Fusion and it shifts great up and down. I change it every 30K or so and it comes out very clean.

and replaced it with Castrol Import MV fluid. I also added LubeGard Shudder Fix, and it was almost gone. I know Ford specs Mercon LV, but would Valvoline Import work?
Why do you want to use fluids other than what's spec'd ? Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is licensed by Ford for that application as is SuperTech LV ATF. Castrol Import MV is not.

I got it for free, basically. It’s been sitting in the garage for years. Plus, the car is a beater. Anyway, it’s working fine, and the noise is from the CV axle.

I’ve been using Maxlife in my son-in-law’s 2012 Fusion for well over 100,000 miles now and it’s worked well, at least to the extent I can tell. The original fluid drained out black and disgusting looking, and so far with Maxlife it still looks red even when being operated in Southern Texas. Shift quality is fine and nobody’s been complaining about anything weird. I think it’s been working great.

Back