2010 Elantra 2.0 PFI engine with "Minutes Old" Oil Change Totaled !!

I handed down my well kept , low mileage 2010 Elantra with a "minutes old" fresh oil change (ST 5W30 Synthetic + Fram Tough Guard #9688 oil filter) to my daughter and unfortunately she was involved in a four car accident (all rear ended) by a speeding driver looking at his cell phone and did not realize the light had turned red . One person was a bit loopy and carried away by ambulance (the first person hit by the cell phone gazing driver ) while the other drivers were shaken but unhurt - my daughter was 3rd in line who in turn rear ended the car in front of her . Alas , the Elantra frame was bent in the multi car rear end accident , so the insurance company totaled the car . *I am very thankful my daughter was not injured for sure !! ... However , left with an odd feeling having cared for this vehicle all of it's life with synthetic oil at appropriate OCI's and right after I change the oil - the car gets totaled ?!? My daughter added - "Dad , it was driving sooo smooth up until the accident - you didn't even know the engine was running" !! ... To close , insurance companies never give you what it REALLY costs to replace a car totaled in an accident - again still , very happy no one was seriously injured in the accident !! ... *Moving on , Looks like I will be welcoming a newer late model Toyota Corolla to the family (already learned it's proper oil / oil filter requirements) . Also , thank God the Corolla is a regular PFI 1.8L engine without the DI engine short OCI's , potential intake valve cleaning , etc. !!

The car did it's job, and you did yours to ensure the car was running in top condition. Think of all those other cars - and drivers & others - that do not benefit from TLC.

Same thing happened to me, 16 year old daughter totaled my car within a month of getting her drivers license, but I did not care one bit about the car or it'S service history. My daughter (and the other party), THANK GOD, walked away without a scratch.

My wife totaled her 2018 civic 2 weeks after we bought it. Hadn’t even changed the oil yet(certified preowned). If that civic hadn’t been a poor financial decision I would have bought another in a heart beat. That thing took a hard lick. T boned on her side at 55mph and only had bruises.

Thank you for the replies - Amen ! ... I had to laugh though if I went to the collision center to see if I could drain my custom 5W25 synthetic blend out of the engine first before it goes to the junk yard (lol !) ... 130K miles on the engine and never burned a drop of oil during a 4K to 5K mile OCI .

Back